Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi guys,

So my girlfriend has decided she wants to get a dog. We are outdoor people, she has horses and I enjoy mountain biking so we are looking for a relatively active dog. I quite like the sound of a golden retriever as I like the sound of there personality and they are stunning!

However, we have a small house and a small garden would this be ok? It would be regularly walked because me and my partner work opposite shifts and the maximum the dog would be left on its own would be maybe 3 hours. It would have the cat for company though! Lol. Any longer than 3 hours and I would take it to my parents or have my parents pop in.

Also we are the type who would take it everywhere we were going (within reason)

Basically my question is whether or a not a retriever would be suitable?

Cheers
Craig

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely dogs, but they do shed hair if that would be a problem for you. If it is a problem, then the Poodle-cross- retriever (Golden Poo) is an excellent choice. My daughter has one. It has the poodle fur so doesn't shed but does need clipping, and the intelligence of both breeds.

I have always had boxers. I am now 66 years young, and had my first when I was 9. We tried an Irish Setter and a German Shepherd but returned to boxers and never looked back.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi thanks for your response :)

The hair doesn't bother us too much, she has grown up with springers so she is used to hair although I imagine a longer haired dog like the golden would be worse lol. Would probably be harder for me because I've grown up with cats.

I'm more concerned about space requirements. I've read that crate training is a must for those dogs but I've no idea where to put one! Haha

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was just going to say how about a springer spaniel or flat coated retriever
I am a Saluki, so very high maintenance
Edited to add, crate training is not always the best way ..

Last edited by a moderator:

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We're on our 3rd dog now (over 30 years, so not bad going). We've always got our dogs via local dog rescue places. Our first was a male lab cross - great dog, short hair, wonderful retriever, no problems at all. Our second was a male collie/springer cross - mad meets bonkers - a difficult dog with other dogs and strangers, lovely with the family, nightmare long hair everywhere. We now have a delightful female greyhound/ridgeback cross - huge and gorgeous. She's easy in many ways, loves the sofa, is quite docile, but she's a typical sighthound so you can't let her off the lead just anywhere as she'd be off after rabbits, deer, squirrels, cats. She's proving very trainable though, walks nicely, comes to the whistle, is great with other dogs, is very friendly with all humans. Not a lot of hair about the place. She's a big girl though, so takes up a lot of sofa room.

I think if I were choosing a dog again I'd definitely look at another female greyhound type.

Reactions: 5 people

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
@RosieLKH because we have a cat a dog that would chase the cat is not good :p haha.

@Enclave she does like springers lol. The flat coated retriever looks just like a golden except from colour. What kind of temperaments do they have?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
go for a whippet. Not really demanding and quite gentle until they see a squirrel

K

Kat100

Hi hope you don't mind me saying , but there are lots of dogs in the nowzand centre .... (Army caring for them all,) but there are adoption bases in UK, to make a start from all looking for new homes ....you could adopt one ...I guess I am interested in their cause because I follow them and their stories ....both heart breaking and warming .... ;) Kat

They rescue cats as well.....

I also have a very good friend who left the NHS in UK and is working in Mauritius running PAWS ....
Always looking for new homes for really lovely dogs , world wide ....

Only my thoughts .....

Last edited:

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
My dilemma is that the girlfriend likes the working dog types because she is always around farms etc.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I don't mind rescuing animals at all. My cat was adopted from cats protection :)

It would all depend in whether we could get the right one

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My dilemma is that the girlfriend likes the working dog types because she is always around farms etc.
whippet = rabbit and hare hunter. How much more working do you need. They will feed you low carb. :angelic:

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Haha true.

I don't know much about dogs as It's cats I've grown up with :p lol

And it shows lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Provided the dog is going to be exercised on a regular basis then go for the Retriever. Rosie's suggestion earlier about giving a rescue dog a home is a great idea, come rain or shine dogs are a great way to get some exercise in your daily life and are great companions :)

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
The dog won't lack exercise haha. I would take it with me when I go mountain biking (will probably require loads of teaching lol)

Also the girlfriend spends 3 - 4 days a week at her mum's field with the horse so will get a runabout there.

And regular walking as well :) ... and if we ain't available for any reason then we have people who are available to walk it.

Reactions: 4 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Rosie have a look around your local rescue centres there are some lovely dogs of all breeds who only ask for a loving home.
My boy Gus a boxer x mastif is a rescue, lovely dog with a good temperament and the added bonus was I didn't have all the trouble with house training him.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well that's good Kerr, dogs need regular exercise.

Dogs (as do any pet) bring new life and enjoyment to a home, so go for it buddy.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
My partners actually complaining she isn't getting enough exercise because her parents dog which she walked is now to far away lol

I'll have a look at the local dogs trust. I'd prefer a younger dog but they seem to get snapped up quick in the shelters :-(

K

Kat100

You
My partners actually complaining she isn't getting enough exercise because her parents dog which she walked is now to far away lol

I'll have a look at the local dogs trust. I'd prefer a younger dog but they seem to get snapped up quick in the shelters :-(
You have a lot of searching to do ...call in Paul o,Grady ;) I love that programme ...:cat: