Red wine before food - experiment

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I've had proper beer just once since diagnosis, knowing what it would do but it was a controlled event and spiked me by about 2 mmol/l (for a pint and a half). I'll probably do the same tomorrow evening because it's a valued social occasion. I've had low alcohol bottled beer occasionally with a meal out and that's been OK.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't so much the drop that surprised me. I know alcohol lowers BS in the short term, it was the size of the drop in such a short time with such a small amount. 0.5mmol/l in 15 minutes and only 75ml of wine.

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lmao..!!!! :hilarious:. Out for celebration drinks tonight. Daughter just got engaged (eventually). So am going to try the whisky and soda experiment.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Ok so result appears to be Red wine or a spirit may decrease BG levels, I will experiment extensively over the next few days, hic, started already hic, not sure I can maintain for long, but will keep trying.

K

Kat100

I enjoy a glass of red wine, and I do tend to have a few sips before I eat whilst tea is cooking. I have always tested my pre-tea levels before I start on the wine, but today and yesterday I decided to test before my first sip and then again before my first bite. The results for both days are, quite coincidentally, identical.

Both days. Tested each test twice to confirm. 75ml of wine is not a lot ;)

Before wine 5.2
Before tea (15 minutes later after about 75ml wine) 4.7

So it looks like my 75ml wine on an empty tummy dropped my levels by half a mmol/l.

Interesting!
:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::dead: There are a lot of offers on wine at the moment in some supermarkets ...cheers bluetit and enjoy x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shouldn't promote alcohol, but anyone that likes Merlot wine should try Barefoot, it's a good quality wine and is quite reasonable at around £6 - £7 a bottle, we've drank it for some time now and nothing comes close to it.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shouldn't promote alcohol, but anyone that likes Merlot wine should try Barefoot, it's a good quality wine and is quite reasonable at around £6 - £7 a bottle, we've drank it for some time now and nothing comes close to it.

Ok, I have taken my socks off. What do I do now?

You may be able to tell that I started the Rose after lunch experiment some time ago.

Reactions: 9 people

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin is not to be taken with any alcohol . according to my prescription , what could be the side effects?
your input is appreciated. thanks

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Metformin is not to be taken with any alcohol . according to my prescription , what could be the side effects?
Alcohol & metformin may cause a condition called lactic acidosis.

C

chris lowe

Lmao..!!!! :hilarious:. Out for celebration drinks tonight. Daughter just got engaged (eventually). So am going to try the whisky and soda experiment.
Congratulations on your daughter's engagement, have a great time tonight but the whisky & soda may have to take a back seat while you save up for the wedding! :)

Reactions: 2 people