Out Drinking

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
hello.

Its my mates birthday in 2 weeks time and we are all going out.

I have drunk before but just a few bottles. I have a feeling there will be more drink this time around as we are going out on the town and ile be offered to try more different types of alcohol.

Does anyone with diabetes actually drink a lot as a one off? Im tempted to just have a diet coke, then a beer then a diet coke so I don't actually drink so much.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That sounds sensible to have an alcoholic drink then a diet coke, that will ensure you keep well hydrated and will stop you getting too drunk :)

Drinking alcohol is fine (in moderation) as long as your aware of the effects it can have on your bg levels, if your in doubt Beav, why don't you ring your DSN up and ask for some advice on drinking and staying safe.

Hope you enjoy your evening out.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Throughout my adult/diabetic life I have managed to drink alcohol just as anyone else would, and that includes the binges too............

1. Beer/Cider/Alcopops have carbs that can be dosed for
2. Wines and Spirits have no carbs so no insulin required
3. Alcohol will reduce your BG in varying levels in the hours following drinking and sometime into the next day.

If your not a regular drinker and dont mind not drinking a lot then having a beer, then diet coke etc sounds like a good plan.

If you can it would be good to have a BG monitor with you..........

you might find your BG goes up because of the beer during your night out, but then when your in it may have come down..............

if you test before bed and its OK, its still wise to have a snack or reduce your bedtime basal [if your on a split dose].........

its all trial and error..........

have a good time though.......:)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not type 1 so I can't comment on dose but, if you get too drunk getting your dosage right might be a problem. Last time I joined in such a group, one of them couldn't even find the door to the toilet in time.

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve tried and tested getting drunk a few times, most recently Saturday night. I would say it’s a completely individual thing, and you can still get drunk – but not so drunk you lose control because you still need to manage your blood sugars.

I was drinking wine (and the odd shot) and was pretty drunk. However, I knew when to stop and I was out with a very trusted group of friends who know how to read my blood sugars and take action. I was also out with another T1 so we kept ordering each other water to stay hydrated.

I generally try to avoid sugary drinks, so dry white or a spirit and sugar free mixer. This way I don’t need to worry about the drink putting my BG levels up and I can more easily manage going low with carbs in food, without having any fast acting sugar from the drink in my system. Then I can also have carbs at the end of the night to stop any overnight hypos.

Reactions: 3 people

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
A tip from me would be to do your evening basal before you go out. Otherwise you may forget. I find that the next day my BG doesn't appear to drop then it does suddenly in the PM. I agree with @Emmotha that it affects everyone differently. If you take your pen and test at say 10pm if high give yourself a small corrective short then check again at midnight if low have someyhing before bed maybe a cereal bar = slow release. Just my view possibly get slated now.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

hello.

Its my mates birthday in 2 weeks time and we are all going out.

I have drunk before but just a few bottles. I have a feeling there will be more drink this time around as we are going out on the town and ile be offered to try more different types of alcohol.

Does anyone with diabetes actually drink a lot as a one off? Im tempted to just have a diet coke, then a beer then a diet coke so I don't actually drink so much.

Thanks

Vodka and diet coke is the best drink I diabetic can have alcoholic wise that's what my DSN and dietician told me as it has no sugar but just keep checking sugars you will probably be fine! :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you could argue red/white wine is the best as it has no carbs and also has a less severe impact on the liver............:)

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
you could argue red/white wine is the best as it has no carbs and also has a less severe impact on the liver............:)
Actually there's about 3 grams of carbs in a small glass of wine but it probably is better for your liver than strong spirits.
I agree with @AndyOD - take your basel before you go out - I can't remember the number of times I've forgotten to take it after a night on the binge :wacky:
Make sure that diet coke is diet coke, many pubs and clubs will say it is when it isn't - buy bottled to be sure.
Finally - if your not used to it - which I suspect your not as you have listed alcohol as your only dislike in your profile - don't over do it :dead:

O9HsLXZ.png

Reactions: 3 people

Nickers

I check my sugars throughout the night when I drink and I also drink vodka lime m soda I find the lime cordial keeps my sugars level but always eat when I get in too

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
I've always been told that alcohol reduces your blood sugar but we are able to drink if we so choose.
Just make sure you are checking throughout the night,eating food also and that others around you are aware if your condition.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CamG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@AndyOD very wise tip, hats off to you for saying so. Absolutely take your nighttime dose before going out, because you will forget, and that can be VERY dangerous as you all know. Next, LET YOUR BUDDIES KNOW. Often times, people pass out after drinking. This could totally be from actually being drunk, but for T1's, it can mean a dangerous low...so let your friends know that you're a diabetic, and that if you are acting strange or pass out, to make them check your sugar.
Have fun! and Happy Birthday @Beav

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand the carb fest on the way home is the best part, so you don't hypo overnight.

CamG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another key thing is to remember that if you do drink sugary alcohol as you most likely will (because drinks are almost always combinations of fruits, juices etc) make sure you do not dose almost at all for those drinks. Alcohol as an empty carb meaning that it quickly spikes your sugar, and then it settles again. It won't stay in your system, or force your sugar to fluctuate over a period of time...and people make the mistake of dosing for it, but then they drop extremely low. Most people around them assume they're acting weird because they're drunk, and T1's die all the time from this. They may pass out and again, everyone assume they're totally fine...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally do dose for beers, ciders and fruit based vodka/rum mixers, as the carbs are still going to raise your blood sugar...........

the trick is to reduce your basal dose and take on carbs during a night out and before bed.......

so, ideally, a split basal dose will accommodate this lifestyle better......