What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?

K

Kat100

I know it isn't low, but it is falling and I have these funny feet. And both gran and mum was/is on B12.

I really don't like the way my feet feel with pins and needles, pain and partial numbness.
Hi totto , I am b12 and iron deficient ....

Extreme tiredness is awful along with those thinkling painful toes which you mention , as my levels drop the pains can get worse along with hands that become a bit clumsy ....muscle ache to ....you have to look after yourself like you do with diabetes....

Memory , well,foggy at times ...

Sweating and breathing problems at times , those are part of the overall picture ...

Thyriod ....low

Feet nose and toes can also,get very cold ..so,you have to keep coping with being over warm or freezing...

Speech and swallowing can also,be effected ....but once a person starts treatment ...things do improve ...but you know when you need top,ups ...

Hope all is ok with you ...Kat

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Extreme tiredness is awful along with those thinkling painful toes which you mention , as my levels drop the pains can get worse along with hands that become a bit clumsy ....muscle ache to ....you have to look after yourself like you do with diabetes....

Sweating and breathing problems at times , those are part of the overall picture ...

Thyriod ....low

Feet nose and toes can also,get very cold ..so,you have to keep coping with being over warm or freezing...

Speech and swallowing can also,be effected ....but once a person starts treatment ...things do improve ...but you know when you need top,ups ...

I sweat much less and breathe better too. Hands feet and nose and ears feel cold. I think I could push a nail file through my ear lobes without pain.

K

Kat100

I sweat much less and breathe better too. Hands feet and nose and ears feel cold. I think I could push a nail file through my ear lobes without pain.
My ears are so painfull at times ....horrid ...I am going to get some ear drops from gp later this week I hope ..
Breathing does improve with higher levels ..I can never keep high levels ....

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Totto , sounds a bit like "Morton’s neuroma" I am sure your Locum will soon give you proper advice and treatment.
The only reason I am saying Morton's is because of the shoes we wear and I live in Northants (home of good fitting shoes)
Even how we rest or position our feet/toes can trigger some nerves to misbehave.
Just another thought :)

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Totto , sounds a bit like "Morton’s neuroma" I am sure your Locum will soon give you proper advice and treatment.
The only reason I am saying Morton's is because of the shoes we wear and I live in Northants (home of good fitting shoes)
Even how we rest or position our feet/toes can trigger some nerves to misbehave.
Just another thought :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thyriod ....low

So feeling cold at least hands and feet has to do with vit B12? I thought it was my thyroid playing up again.

Sweating has to do with low B12 too? I thought it was menopause.

Have ordered the 5 mg hydroxycobalamin from Jarrows, should arrive end of next week.

K

Kat100

So feeling cold at least hands and feet has to do with vit B12? I thought it was my thyroid playing up again.

Sweating has to do with low B12 too? I thought it was menopause.

Have ordered the 5 mg hydroxycobalamin from Jarrows, should arrive end of next week.
I hate my B12 problem ..I have an 8 wk Injection .....for the last five weeks...I have been told they are for life ....the tablets are just to slow ...to get in the blood stream ...you have to order to your own b12,.,?,,,take care....Kat
I know the difference between the B12 sweating and the menopause lol :D

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if you said this before but I have lost my mouse and hate these silly pad things, Have you been eating less B12 rich food ?
You get b12 from meat and eggs, don't you? I eat a lot of eggs and quite a lot of meat too. I haven't eaten that much liver lately though.

K

Kat100

You get b12 from meat and eggs, don't you? I eat a lot of eggs and quite a lot of meat too. I haven't eaten that much liver lately though.
For me @Totto B12 will not get absorbed ...
Yes to hair and nails being affected ....

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Thank you for asking ....the last test was just ok re the intrinsic factor but it was done a few years ago now ...
Malabsorption problems ...yes.....
I think the clumsy hands was the first thing I was aware of. It got to the point that I could not even write. I only get the odd tingle now in my pinkies. At its worst one or both of my hand could. be totally numb when I woke up and it could take till afternoon to completely go. The soles of my feet feel like they squelch like raw steak when I stand on them. my hands and feet are much colder than they ever were before. If I hold one hand above my head for 5 seconds, it is very, very pale when I then hold it next to the other hand.

K

Kat100

I think the clumsy hands was the first thing I was aware of. It got to the point that I could not even write. I only get the odd tingle now in my pinkies. At its worst one or both of my hand could. be totally numb when I woke up and it could take till afternoon to completely go. The soles of my feet feel like they squelch like raw steak when I stand on them. my hands and feet are much colder than they ever were before. If I hold one hand above my head for 5 seconds, it is very, very pale when I then hold it next to the other hand.
There a lot of symptoms ...some confuse the diabetes ...
When I hear eat spinach ...I think but that does not get absorbed like we might think it does ...this food is complex ...along with all,our other health issues ...
Yes I understand the tinkling of hands and feet ....and clumsy hands ...yes I found my writting was just was just awful ...it is a strange thing isn't it ...
Take care ...Kat

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Current complaints:
Tiredness, memory problems, inertia, funny feet, unstable and tend to fall to the right (and I actually am a bit of a leftie), tinnitus without any known cause, butterfingered, ridged nails, thinning hair of bad quality, suddenly increased amount of grey hair - oh well, not really premature I guess - sore tongue, numb patches on thighs, arrhythmia and my hands have started to feel funny too recently. And I often have difficulties remembering peoples names.

What of the above might be B12 deficiency, thyroid or diabetes?

Spoke with DSN today and she is convinced possible neuropathy has nothing to do with diabetes, she actually isn't sure I have diabetes at all as my HbA1c is normal. Stupid woman. She went on to explaining to me that my B12 was perfect and ruled out deficiency. I got the impression she didn't believe vitamin B12 deficiency really existed.

K

Kat100

Current complaints:
Tiredness, memory problems, inertia, funny feet, unstable and tend to fall to the right (and I actually am a bit of a leftie), tinnitus without any known cause, butterfingered, ridged nails, thinning hair of bad quality, suddenly increased amount of grey hair - oh well, not really premature I guess - sore tongue, numb patches on thighs, arrhythmia and my hands have started to feel funny too recently. And I often have difficulties remembering peoples names.

What of the above might be B12 deficiency, thyroid or diabetes?

Spoke with DSN today and she is convinced possible neuropathy has nothing to do with diabetes, she actually isn't sure I have diabetes at all as my HbA1c is normal. Stupid woman. She went on to explaining to me that my B12 was perfect and ruled out deficiency. I got the impression she didn't believe vitamin B12 deficiency really existed.

@Totto have you had any blood tests taken for the symptoms you describe ....how are your iron levels...hope you don't mind me asking ...