Does anybody else get irritated and stressy?!

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lately the tiniest thing gets me irritated easily and it's happening nearly every day my partner doesn't understand why I'm acting like this so we end up having an argument over it which makes things 10 times worse, I feel like I'm constantly in a bad mood I've only been diagnosed nearly 3 months and wondered if it's down to the diabetes or in fact I've just turned into this stressy women?

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The first few weeks and months are always the worst as there's so much information to take in, in time it does get easier and you will become less stressed as you adjust to living with type 1 diabetes, if you feel you need some support don't forget to have a chat with your diabetes care team.

Reactions: 6 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's understandable, u have a lot to deal with. I found the first 3 months really hard and was struggling to stay sane at work. To the point I walked out of the office on 3 occasions. To put in perspective I'm normally a really chilled out person who doesn't anger easily.

Once u adjust u'll be ok :)

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An article in the Daily Record - Scotland - stated you will get "hangry" if you go for more than three hours without food. It wasn't aimed at diabetics but I think it applies. The brain needs glucose and the best type is from ingested food. So a small snack is needed. The article recommended a slice of malted bread but for diabetics some nuts would be good.

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd beg to differ on the statement that the brain needs glucose. It doesn't need that much, and can run of metabolised fats as well, as most of the LCHFers on here will attest to. Even as a Type 1, you can eat low carb and your liver will produce enough glucose for your brain!

On a different note, being diagnosed diabetic is a stressful experience and also one where you will grieve a little for your life before. It's understandable that you will be a little more volatile. As you become familiar with it and accept how you make it fit around you, life (and you) will calm down a lot!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a T2, but when my levels are high I seem to be irrtated more easily by things which normally I can deal with

evertopaz2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 33 years. I still get stressy. but not because of the information overload. It is either I haven't eaten enough, PMS - insulin is a hormone and your sugars drop before your period. a trip to diabetic clinic. the list is endless with me. But my husband took a year to understand that me snapping wasn't due to me being upset. He can now pick up my low stessy mood from my just really annoyed mood. the lows he gives me glucose. Over time I found that only 2 weeks of the month were safe.The other 2 were what can only be described as really bad PMS - due to low sugars and hormone levels.

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replying everyone I've just seen my diabetic nurse and she reckons it's my body's way of adjusting to the stress it's been under which makes sense, seems like one thing after another at the moment hopefully it will sort it self out soon I don't want become a stressy person I get annoyed with myself for getting irritated

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The first few weeks and months are always the worst as there's so much information to take in, in time it does get easier and you will become less stressed

I too feel less stressed when I walk around with a big club. :D

11028.jpg

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I have a magic number and it's 14 when I get there my Mrs says it's like I've got PMS.:grumpy:

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a new T1 as well so maybe i can relate - sometimes i just feel strange... its hard to explain but I feel as if my head was packed with foam.. its very slightly annoying.. Sometimes i feel this way and check my BG and its relatively normal (like 6-8) but its new - it wasn't something i felt before my diagnoses.

I really think this is what you mean - its something so faint and hardly noticeable but just enough to irritate someone if they aren't careful or distracted enough to ignore it.

The best i have reasoned is its the feeling of your brain adjusting to a BG level that is raising or falling. Before diagnoses our brain was in an environment with a relatively stable BG level, and now all of a sudden we go low, or high, and can swing from low to high in under and hour and this feeling is the brain noticing things are different haha

Thats my best guess - not medically based of course lol

Reactions: 2 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah!!! Hate everyone and everything almost everyday!!! :mad: Don't know why though :oops:

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Maybe 'cos they complain and we think if only they could realise how lucy they are ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do quite a lot, but it's probably nothing to do with diabetes though :p just life :rolleyes:

RRB

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my diabetic nurse reckons it's my body's way of adjusting to the stress it's been under which makes sense
I think that's hit the nail on the head but I've noticed on this forum there's a lot of emphasis on vitamin supplements for one deficiency or another and it may be someone could advise you about that. Otherwise I'd recommend a full spa treatment (Christmas present from someone?)

Reactions: 3 people

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 and I think I get irritated, I'm having to hold myself back right now from yelling at 2 people sitting a few desks from me having a loud disagreement!

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's hit the nail on the head but I've noticed on this forum there's a lot of emphasis on vitamin supplements for one deficiency or another and it may be someone could advise you about that. Otherwise I'd recommend a full spa treatment (Christmas present from someone?)

I've got a hospital appointment tomorrow to see the diabetic team so I shall ask about this, the spa treatment sounds like a great idea too I have to ask Santa lol

My Armour

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm two years diagnosed and find I can be just as short tempered now as when I was first diagnosed. I'm generally cool as a cucumber when my sugars are healthy but if they're high... ohhhh wow. High sugars do NOT mix well with me. My head just feels tight and the general dehydration tips me over the edge. I've always had a fairly short temper but now.. it's worth maintaining healthy sugars just for this reason!

Slightly off topic but still related; Heat plays a big part in my mood too. Unless I'm training, room temperature has to be below average or my mood suffers similarly. This is completely new with my diagnosis.

People tend not to realise the effect the condition has on us mentally.

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly I'm many years past the point where I could claim any more that it's female hormones that are making me fly off the handle! I used to be fairly even tempered and long suffering, but over the last few months trivial little things can make me irrationally fly off the handle... In part, like @lessci, I believe it's related to glucose levels/hunger, and otherwise due to severe frustration because I'm having problems with my hands and am frequently dropping things. When I asked my diabetic doctor about this he said I've not had diabetes long enough for it to be the cause. I never used to be clumsy so this is actually the only part of being diabetic that truly stresses me out - whether it's related or not. :mad::banghead::mad:

Robbity

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True story Armour,

I realize that i notice a mood shift much much more drastically when my sugars are up over 12... I've been down as low as 2.5 and haven't noticed a mood change at all going low, only high.

Also in regards to vitamins - i have been reading that diabetics are prone to needing supplements as well has having lower NOx in the blood... something to think about ?