Does anybody else get irritated and stressy?!

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've just come back from another doctors visit, and according to him apparently it's not related :/ yet my nurse says it is.

I've come to the conclusion it's just my body's way of dealing with everything's that's happened and the high and low sugars playing effect

Thank god for this forum and all your comments I'd feel like I was going insane otherwise :)

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For legal reasons if doctors can't prove something scientifically they really can't suggest treatment to you - you'll likely not hear "Oh yeah, I have always had a hunch that [this] caused [that], heres some pills that might work" lol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah I can so relate to how you're feeling...

When I got diagnosed I got really irritable, normally very chilled and took little to ruffle my feathers but afterwards I couldn't cope very well, was working full time too and bringing up a young child so with the diagnosis it all got too much and I would snap all the time. It took me a while to realise that I was actually grieving for my health and this coupled with running high and low all the time got too much so ended up having a heart to heart with my doctor who was fabulous and got me sorted.

Meditation was really helpful, as was low carbing to eliminate the 'highs and lows' also going for walks helped too.

Diabetes really can take over the mind and when you're thinking about this most of the time, then having to deal with life it can get very stressy - it's all about balance and finding what works for you best, good luck you are amongst friends here ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I seem to react to things badly when I'm high and get really ratty. Not sure of the exact reading but certainly when it goes over 12/13... When I go low my speech gets very clipped, I think because my brain is focussing on sorting itself out, ie where's food?, and keeping the essentials going. This gets interpreted as bad temper, but it's not. It can be quite a problem as other people then react badly instead of giving me a bit of space. The rest of the time I think frustration with the amount of time Diabetes takes up (calculating, preparing, planning food; keeping track of it all and making sure I've got everything when going out), blood tests, etc! Other people do not realize how this impacts on timekeeping and having time to do things generally. Oops, hadn't realised how much this side of things has been getting to me! It was worse when I was working... :banghead:

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
At work all my colleagues know when I'm high 14+ because I get ratty they say b careful if you upset us we'll give Andy a doughnut and send him into the meeting then you'll b sorry.

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At work all my colleagues know when I'm high 14+ because I get ratty they say b careful if you upset us we'll give Andy a doughnut and send him into the meeting then you'll b sorry.

So you're a sort of secret explosive weapon - I like that!!:p:p

Robbity

emilyt3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 17 and was diagnosed 11 years ago! I still get like this a lot and no one understands why! You'll learn how to deal with things differently! Just try not to worry and hopefully people around you will learn to understand it more and support you when things get tough

bigbaldnige

I'm T2 and only been diagnosed 2 weeks and I'm crazy frustrated and really irritable I find I have a shorter fuse than normal. I used to be quite laid back. It's kinda worrying as I manage a shoe repair shop with annoying customers lol.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I have the same issues, although I have always had a short fuse, it's now almost non existent and I find myself flying off the handle at the smallest things, just lucky my other half has the patience of a Saint! @bigbaldnige don't manage a shop for timpson do you?!

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An article in the Daily Record - Scotland - stated you will get "hangry" if you go for more than three hours without food. It wasn't aimed at diabetics but I think it applies. The brain needs glucose and the best type is from ingested food. So a small snack is needed. The article recommended a slice of malted bread but for diabetics some nuts would be good.
HANGRY IS A GREAT EXPRESSION!
When I didn't know About my diabetic 2, and started to eat raw food, my blood sugar dropped and I felt happy and high until I waited to long between meals.
I got so angry at whomever wanted me to do something, I guess it was because I didn't know why I suddenly felt so weak.
Now I still have those days when I forget to eat, but I just get really tired and feel I can't think clear I don't get upset. I guess it's because I know that the only option for me is to take a break and eat something, I don't push myself over the edge and feel I have to function on other terms than my own.
I do still after two years living with the knowledge of my condition, still get surprised over my physical and mental reaction on food/ fuel. Before diabetic 2 came into my life I could go without food for a day without noticing it. Three hour is my life motto.
I am really über healthy with what I put into my body, because I was born with malrotation and have been through four surgeries, now I only eat nutrition drinks on recepy from my doctor.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair play, I used to work for them in devon, in one of the 'pods' but got made redundant after they closed.it and moved it elsewhere!

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently the pod I was going into didn't have planning permission granted and wasn't any other spaces! The area team down here seem to fire and lay people off willy nilly! Have spoken to them regarding re employment!

Dan Sumner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed t1 for the last 4 months. I have always had a bit of a short fuse when it comes to people irritating me but I have in the last month found myself getting uncontrollable rage at the slightest thing, to the point where I could punch the hell out of someone.

I know it's nothing to do with dealing with being diagnosed with type 1. I feel like something has changed within me and it really worries me that I will one day take it out on someone who p!!ses me off.

I am at the clinic tomorrow so will discuss it with my consultant.

I hope you get sorted too as I hope something can be done for me. I'm trying to give up the fags at the moment and as a way of de-stressing and I suppose a little treat I'm going to go for a massage once a week.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed t1 for the last 4 months. I have always had a bit of a short fuse when it comes to people irritating me but I have in the last month found myself getting uncontrollable rage at the slightest thing, to the point where I could punch the hell out of someone.

I know it's nothing to do with dealing with being diagnosed with type 1. I feel like something has changed within me and it really worries me that I will one day take it out on someone who p!!ses me off.

I am at the clinic tomorrow so will discuss it with my consultant.

I hope you get sorted too as I hope something can be done for me. I'm trying to give up the fags at the moment and as a way of de-stressing and I suppose a little treat I'm going to go for a massage once a week.

That is exactly how I feel I've accepted the diabetes fine but I feel like something's changed and I don't no what, my doctor seem to say it's not related let me not how you get on hopefully you get a better answer the. I did

Dan Sumner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is exactly how I feel I've accepted the diabetes fine but I feel like something's changed and I don't no what, my doctor seem to say it's not related let me not how you get on hopefully you get a better answer the. I did

Yeah I'll post up tomorrow when I get back from the hospital.

I'll hopefully have an answer for you.

Dan

Reactions: 5 people

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I have been a type 1 for approx 38 years and my parents said I was always an angry person. To this day they still don't understand me or the diabetes. Yes, I believe I do have a temper, but most of the time its the diabetes. I am finding that now I am getting a temper for no reason and am in continuously angry mode. OK, life is stressful, (work, home, kids etc) but I still think a big part of this anger is related to the diabetes, my sugars are continually low and then high (12 is my new high, previously 15+ was). I become ratty for no reason and it seems lately I am always in this mode (feeling very guilty and bad for the hubby and kids). I have been reading through what others have said here and it has given me something to think about ie sugar levels, weather/room temp level... I think I have some serious working out to do!