FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 24hrs after you have received it in my experience. Log on to your account and it will give you a status and tracking number.
I've had this when ordered from the shop but not for replacement sensors.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In no particular order:

1. Put Abbotts customer support number in your phone, report any issues - they do replace sensors that are inaccurate, come unstuck etc.
2. Record your basal, bolus and carbs from the outset. In my impatience to get started, I didn't record that information to start with and i started to introduce it gradually - which messes up your graphs and averages a bit. Which is fine for me because I know what I did, but it would be a nightmare to share with DSNs. If I could turn back the clock, I'd put them in from the off.
3. Put your first sensor on at a convenient time. I put mine on in the middle of a working day, so now it runs out in the middle of a working day.
4. Don't look into the applicator - unless you don't mind big needles.
5. Don't walk into door frames - unless you want an easy way to remove your sensor.
6. Put aside some time for looking at the data you download to your PC - it is incredible the first few times you see what your BG has been up to overnight.
7. Put a tubigrip or something on to protect the sensor if you are going to have kids climbing over you.
8. Enjoy - but be prepared to become a little obsessed!

Smidge
I'd add
9. Get hold of some Optium test strips so you can check the readings on the actual meter.
And 10. be prepared for it to take two days to settle down consistency-wise. If it takes longer than that, get onto Abbott.

Lucy

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As an example of the issues I've had with both sensors:

6.30am - Libre 5.9 horizontal arrow, Mobile 5.7 - great!
8.26am - Libre 11.6 horizontal arrow, Mobile 8.8 - v. bad (I would correct an 11.6 but not an 8.8)!
9.55am - Libre 5.3 no arrow at all, Mobile 3.9 - not great (Mobile heading into hypo territory, Libre safe levels and no idea where BG is heading).

With this snapshot of results, even the patterns and trends are not really accurate enough to act on. It is this lack of consistency that I'm finding the most frustrating as it means I cannot trust the scan even to give an indication without a confirmatory BG test. This has been the same with both sensors. I'll give another sensor a try in a few days and if that also gives inconsistent results, I'll be insisting that Abbotts escalate my case to someone more senior there to try to get some answers as to what is going on rather than just replacing sensors. I would have thought if they have released suspect sensors, they should have issued a recall notice. If there is a variance between BG and IF in some people, then this needs to be clear, but I'm thinking this is less likely given the different accuracy @robert72 has had between his first and second sensor.

Smidge

I didn't read the entire thread, i started at the last page and worked towards page one when i read this post.

I have read this quote here
' ...[the libre measures] interstitial glucose is not quite the same as blood glucose. It is measured in the fluid that surrounds the cells in tissue rather than from the blood itself. Typically these levels lag slightly behind BG by up to 10-15 minutes, but Abbott are using an algorithm to adjust readings which they claim reduces this lag to 5 minutes or less on the Libre.'

If this is the case then perhaps these errors could be a product of situations of fast changing BG levels that the algorithm cannot accurately current for?
Also i know most CGM sensors have poor accuracy on day 1, better on day 2, and max day 3+ until they start to get bad again usually 10-12 days in again before being changed... So if this is happening everytime you put on a new sensor, or change to a new one then it could just be that low accuracy on the first couple days?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just tried to scan my arm with my iphone! D'oh!

Its NFC, so i don't know why someone wouldn't be able to make an android app that does is programmed to do what the receiver does.. It doesn't use test strips so its just software in a nice package.. I wouldn't be surprised if Freestyle had an app in the near future...

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading the posts i'm still undecided!
How durable are the sensors?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm into day 8 of mine and I've knocked it on walls, door frames and other things, and it's well and truly still stuck.

It also reckons I'll get an Hba1c of 6.3%. On that point, has anyone yet had an Hba1c done and how does it compare to the Libre software estimate?

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm into day 8 of mine and I've knocked it on walls, door frames and other things, and it's well and truly still stuck.

It also reckons I'll get an Hba1c of 6.3%. On that point, has anyone yet had an Hba1c done and how does it compare to the Libre software estimate?

I said before, had an hba1c done two weeks before getting Libre and it was 0.1% different from libres estimate. So not bad actually!

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1C always comes out lower than my averaged BG test strip values - sort of where the sensor values are. It would not surprise me at all if the sensor is delivering values more akin to HbA1c than BG. I'll know in a couple of weeks.

I tried hard not to put my third sensor on after the second fell off but my scanning OCD won out this morning. After waving the reader at a bare arm for 5 minutes I just had to put my 'spare' sensor on. I was, in any case, really missing the overnight graph data, it has been invaluable in correcting overnight hypos and dawn phenomena. I'm sleeping better than I have for years now I've corrected levemir dosage and timing.

iHs

Am wondering if blokes have more success with keeping the sensor stuck to skin than women? When I talked to an Abbott rep at a London event just before the release date to sell, I was told that the sensor will stick for 14 days and that there was no need to use tape. This obviously isnt correct as some peeps are using tape.

I am still undecided about the Libre so will have a re think in the new year and hope that Abbott will alter their website re adhesive issues.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to see my GP today to get some strips for the Libre added to my repeats. He was totally blown away by the Libre - I'm sure he will be on-side should sensors become available on the NHS :)

Next week I am seeing my endo, so will be showing it off there too :cool: It'll be the day after my sensor change, so hope it's not a dud.

I too went to see my GP and she was amazed. I am moving out of my catchment area but she asked me to stay with the practice and not worry about changing GP's! She asked if she could call me every few days to get an update and if id be willing to have a blood test every month so that she can do a study to see if it improves my hba1c etc.
She also said that if it does improve my health, that she would like to prescribe this for all her type 1s.
She asked me how many times a day I used to finger prick.... I said 8-10. She asked how many times a day i am scanning. I said about 4/5 times an hour. Her reply was: Just that alone would make her fight for this to be available on the NHS.

Reactions: 7 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

After all you cutting edge adopters have paved the way I ordered one of these today.

Is there any additional bits and pieces I need to get before it arrives; like tape to keep it on?

Any general advice?

Thanks!

Best

Dillinger

you dont need tape. i have worn sensors now for a couple of months. I train most days, shower at least twice a day and mine has never come off.

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you dont need tape. i have worn sensors now for a couple of months. I train most days, shower at least twice a day and mine has never come off.

There ARE many reports of them coming off though. I guess it depends on skin type etc. I would certainly try without tape but be prepared for the possibility