Soups and stews please

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cooked it for my poker boys at the weekend (regular texas hold 'em game). It was very aromatic and tasty, rather like a delicate curry. I would maybe up the cinnamon next time.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cooked it for my poker boys at the weekend (regular texas hold 'em game). It was very aromatic and tasty, rather like a delicate curry. I would maybe up the cinnamon next time.
Get yourself some Garam Masla powder. It's what they use in currys. There is already dry roasted cinnamon ground up in it.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know Garam Masala, but not everything in the world should be curry and I think the saffron would have drowned! I was looking forward to, and enjoyed, the subtle and different spice blend.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a local Indian cash and carry. He does all the spices separate. I like it this way as you can adjust to taste. Also buying big bags of garlic and ginger powder is a lot cheaper. Curry's need not be fattening or high carbs. Just getting an alternative to rice that I like. Cauliflower rice does not appeal to me.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you, having close access to all the goodies. I agree with you about cauli rice. It's no real substitute. I have been buying sachets of that microwave rice for my non-diabetic husband, to save me attempting to make one portion. I was reading an interesting thread about 'resistant starches' last night and wonder if I might try some of this pre-cooked stuff to see how it spikes me.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started to use brown rice. I believe there is also a red rice.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there is - and black rice which isn't a rice at all. That's a thought - must investigate. Have now been 'awarded' a Can't Stop Award on this site. Don't know what I think about that.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol. I did a search on rice. Seems like Spanish red rice is lower carbs than most. I think its due to a denser husk.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Easy one to just chuck together .
Shredded chicken ,peas,carrots,onion,mushrooms,tomatoes .
Veg stock cube , tomato puree . hot water .

Cook for 2 hours then enjoy a bowl full .
Really tasty :joyful:

If wish to spice this one up - just add in the spice or a chillie .

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If wish to spice this one up - just add in the spice or a chillie .

I made a butternut squash soup last week and put half a teaspoon of crushed chillies in for a bit of heat, over did it as it was too warm for my liking :(

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Well at this time of year I like a good homemade Scotch broth just pre-soaking the broth mix and split peas to do overnight and is a fab lunch or brekkie.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I made a butternut squash soup last week and put half a teaspoon of crushed chillies in for a bit of heat, over did it as it was too warm for my liking :(
Your mouth and oesophagus calmed down Noblehead ? Lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your mouth and oesophagus calmed down Noblehead ? Lol

It wasn't too bad Eddie, but a little warmer than I like it to be :)

tbh its the first time that I've used dried chillies before, as they say you live and you learn.............

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes...made the same mistake myself, they should carry one of those Hazmat 'Flammable' pictograms lol

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork belly is quite cheap and makes a great casserole. Cut the rind and any bony bits off and roast them separately for crunchy starters.
Cut the pork into chunks, brown them and set aside.
Sweat a chopped onion & garlic for a few minutes, then add the pork with half a cup of red wine and some chopped tomatoes with a bit of water if needed to cover.
Put in oven 150degC for about an hour and a half. Add kidney beans or other cooked beans 20 mins before the end. And mushrooms if you want. Season.
Serve with steamed veg of your choice.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish pie makes a great soup the next day. Just add water and blitz with stick blender. It's sort of like cullen skink -without the potatoes and with cheese - ok not very like. But good. I use grated parmesan on top of the stew in place of potatoes, it really adds to the soup.

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make stew in my Redmond multicooker. I put some pieces of beef or chicken, carrot and onion all together, pour cream and set the Stew mode. In 50 min - 1 hour delicious meal is ready.

billb61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
ham hock soak over night change water a few times to get rid of salt.
marrowfat peas/ onions dry fried / chinese 5 spice /pepper/bit of garlic ..
makes enough for a couple of days..
or freeze for another time