Does Diabetes make you itchy ?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Just wondering if anyone has noticed feeling more itchy (especially in the lower limbs) when their BGs are high. I know the weather and going from hot to cold conditions is probably a factor too at this time of year. Well I'm away to moisturise and hope for some feedback. Ta

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed I used to get quite itchy all over. Since reducing my carbs and going on Metformin, it has *greatly* reduced. If I overdo my carbs for a couple days, I feel that familiar itch come back!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is the fluctuation of high BSLs that give you the itch. Sometimes nothing will stop it. I have antihystermines to help me sleep. I use ice cubes on my arms to get relief!

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
100% yes - itchy skin and a higher proportion of cramps are my rewards for high sugar. I really notice an improvement when my BS are well controlled. Anti-histamines sound like a good idea in the meantime...

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm getting itchy just thinking about it lol.
I find when my bgs rise rapidly I get itchy

janetrm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get urticaria but not always when levels are high. Sometimes it is being too warm that causes it. For those who get night cramps , especially in the legs, a strange but effective remedy is to put a bar of soap (not Dove or other facial soaps but normal soap) in your bed. It actually works, as several of my friends have found. I have no idea how it works but it certainly does.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes! Before going LCHF I regularly had itchy shins and itchy earllobes......!!o_O It drove me mad but I've been free of all itchiness for months now and am convinced its since I changed my diet and in so doing, lowered my bs.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well troops in the war against diabetes a big thank you for your replies so far, getting some great feedback. Again ta
EDDIE

C

catherinecherub

Hi @eddie1968
We tend to think of kidneys, heart, liver, lungs as organs but skin is actually the biggest organ of the body and blood sugar levels will affect it.

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @eddie1968
We tend to think of kidneys, heart, liver, lungs as organs but skin is actually the biggest organ of the body and blood sugar levels will affect it.
Probably our most forgotten organ CC.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I can't say definitely that my diabetes makes me itchy but something does...

For the last few years (prior to being diabetic I've occasionally had terrible itching in my ears (feels as if something creepy crawly is in there - when I mentioned this to my gp he seemed to think I meant there were actually things creeping around in them and more or less said I was talking nonsense!)

But since I've had diabetes, I've also had longish spells of more or less permanent itching across the small of my back. I use Eurax cream for this and it generally keeps it under reasonable control.

Robbity

PS Leg cramps can be caused by lack of potassium, and I used to get this a lot years ago when on diuretics. My cure was to eat bananas, but can't really do that now if I get cramps, so my husband recommended his LO Salt salt which contains potassium.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
True Robbity, I got put on Frusemide years ago and they depleted my potassium levels and had cramps so bad I wished I had died the pain was so bad. Now on potassium-sparing diuretics.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True Robbity, I got put on Frusemide years ago and they depleted my potassium levels and had cramps so bad I wished I had died the pain was so bad. Now on potassium-sparing diuretics.

I had a short spell during the summer when I got cramps overnight that were that bad too - worst I've ever had - but they suddenly stopped again, and I've been using a bit of the Lo salt occasionally ever since... just in case. So you have my sympathy!

Re frusemide, I know it's not really funny but I first knew of it as a medicine to relieve fluid build up due to serious heart conditions (MVD) in one of my dogs, then my elderly dad had to start taking this same doggy medicine too for his swollen legs, and that coincidence did amuse me in a peverse sort of way. Evil though I knew it was.

Robbity

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if anyone has noticed feeling more itchy (especially in the lower limbs) when their BGs are high. I know the weather and going from hot to cold conditions is probably a factor too at this time of year. Well I'm away to moisturise and hope for some feedback. Ta
I find a soak in a bath with baby oil helps all over, particularly before bed, and a pillow between my knees because they sure can burn. I also use double base for very dry skin at other times, it's better than itching.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I also think dehydration and alcohol contribute to dry skin too. Not touched booze since diagnosis in 2010, partly due to beer being loaded with sugar and as an insulin user I didn't want any hypo awareness compromised.

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
In a word yes , it drives me nuts, currently taking anti histamines which help a lot.. When i asked the doctor why i was itching she said i have no idea , and prescribed me antihistamines , but i have noticed that higher blood sugar levels cause me to itch .

Macular1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheerful people
Severe Itching in the cease of the groin.

Becomes apparent after my evening (main meal of the day) and again in my sleep when I overheat. I'm told it's a form of thrush as my body is sweating out excess insulin?

Doc prescribed Canestan which does help but only for a few days then the cycle repeats.

I find wearing shorts and no underwear around the house helps by keeping the effected area cooler.

Waiting on results of my second HBa1c to see how things are progressing was 85mmol in January when first diagnosed type 2.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thrush is common and responds well to caneston, but when apparently gone keep use moisturizer, it performs a barrier and helps to keep it away, it is best to use perfume free or sensetive

Macular1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheerful people
thrush is common and responds well to caneston, but when apparently gone keep use moisturizer, it performs a barrier and helps to keep it away, it is best to use perfume free or sensetive

Thanks for that tip, will pick some up today.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an itchy patch on my back for ages. Couldn't work out why. It went away when I started Metformin.