E-cigs and diabetes

justjay

I couldn't see if this has been asked before, and hopefully it's in the right place!

I recently (yesterday!) bought one of those electronic cigarette things as there's nothing quite like multiple chest infections and getting rigged up to an ECG like giving you a push.....! Has anyone noticed a rise/fall in blood sugar levels after puffing away?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

liz_m

Re: E-cigs and diabetes

they contain Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG)in small amounts. I found the same when i used them so researched it. I stayed with them tho.. reckoned smoking was the real risk. I don't smoke now :D

Propylene glycol is an organic compound which has ubiquitous applications in everything from food manufacturing to lubrication of industrial equipment. Oral toxicity for both acute and long-term exposure is very low. In humans, PG is metabolized into lactic, pyruvic (a ketone), and acetic (vinegar) acids, all three of which are already naturally found in the human body. The only complication I could see from this would be if you take metformin. Although rare, metformin has been known to potentiate lactic acidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by a build-up of lactic acid. However, it’s doubtful that the amount of lactic acid the PG in your pseudo-cigarette would cause you to metabolize would be sufficient to induce lactic acidosis. The bottom line: propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe and should have a neutral effect on blood sugar concentration.

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

The bottom-bottom line: whatever risks might be involved with the intake of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are clearly much smaller than the known risks of cigarette smoking. I applaud you in your decision and action to discontinue smoking. Nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug to exist, so I highly respect your efforts.

Reactions: 8 people

justjay

Thanks for your detailed reply! Quite interesting how it's all used really.

It was fairly easy to cut down at first due to illness and that sort of helped make me decide to give up.

Now, I used to smoke 20+ a day, had the usual triggers such as get up in the morning, have a coffee and a fag. Have a meal, go for a fag etc etc. I've cut those out. I have no more than 3 a day at the moment, and don't take them out, don't take them to work, just carry my electronic one with me. It's not going too bad so far but I think this cutting right back first is going to help make it a lot easier tbh. For example I had my first one of the day at quarter past 6 yesterday evening!

liz_m

i smoked like that too and i also started using them after a bad chest. Now if i want a smoke i pop one of them between my lips and 8 out of 1o times i dont even bother to inhale. the physical habit is harder to break than the nicotine dependence :D

justjay

liz_m said:
i smoked like that too and i also started using them after a bad chest. Now if i want a smoke i pop one of them between my lips and 8 out of 1o times i dont even bother to inhale. the physical habit is harder to break than the nicotine dependence :D

They certainly work better than anything I've tried in the past! Did try champix in the past, pre diabetes. Worked for 3 months. Tries it again recently and wow, blood sugar levels shot up and we're erratic to say the least!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

I've been on them since oct 2012 and love em, haven't smoked a real one since the first puff of it

justjay

Andy12345 said:
I've been on them since oct 2012 and love em, haven't smoked a real one since the first puff of it

Well done Andy, quite an achievement mate :)

nibbyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I couldn't see if this haHowever I have found that my bloods have been higher than usual. Dont know if its the stress or the passed weeks not been to well or its the combo of both will let you know if its the e cig . It could be the liquids for the e cig .n asked before, and hopefully it's in the right place!

I recently (yesterday!) bought one of those electronic cigarette things as there's nothing quite like multiple chest infections and getting rigged up to an ECG like giving you a push.....! Has anyone noticed a rise/fall in blood sugar levels after puffing away?

Hi I have been using the e cig now for 3 weeks not had a rollie since. Howev

jeniferfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yes,it does affect the blood sugar in your blood sugar because nicotine will disturb the insulin(hormone that release by pancreas) when not functioning well (pancreas)your blood sugar's will high also with your blood pressure because the renal cannot functioning well.
once you are diabetic you cannot recovery but you can control your blood sugar by:
regular exercise
quit smoking and drinks alcohol
lower consumptions of starchy food and sugar as well.also the fruits you may eat it but by a small amount....

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using e-cigs since 2009 after smoking for 25 years, and haven't had a cigarette since I started on them. Last time my SATS were checked (before an op for a sports injury) they were 99%, my peak flow is 650+ and my blood pressure is 117/66 which is much closer to the profile of a non-smoker than a smoker :)

E-cigs do contain nicotine but less of it is absorbed than with smoking and at a slower rate (see this study in nature: http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140226/srep04133/full/srep04133.html ) and as nothing is being burned you don't get any of the harmful by-products you get with smoking (such as the carcinogens: nicotine, contrary to popular belief is not a carcinogen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Apart from half a dozen as a schoolboy I'm a life-long non-smoker BUT

I saw a display of electronic cigarette lighters. Are these for electronic cigarettes?

amcdee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from half a dozen as a schoolboy I'm a life-long non-smoker BUT

I saw a display of electronic cigarette lighters. Are these for electronic cigarettes?
Lol :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started smoking at 16, but since July 2011 I have been using electronic cigs and not had a puff of a real cigarette since. I can run up and down 2 flights of 15 stairs and not be out of breath; my blood pressure is normal for my age of 69. I was diagnosed in March this year with diabetes, with an initial glucose reading of 20.3. My first HbA1c in May was: 81, 9.6%.12.6 and on 20 11 14 it was: 40, 5.8%, 6.6. Just got to get a better handle on lchf cuisine ... but with just under 2 stone gone, and around 1.5 stone to go, I feel healthier now than I have for years.

Reactions: 6 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
E cigs are great. Couldn't of given up smoking without them.
Gave up in June 14. E cigs for 2 months.
My first smoke free Christmas in over 35 years

Reactions: 7 people

amcdee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been being for about 2 years a year without an analog fag. Could not be smoke free if it wasn't for the this. I do fined though that when cloud chasing it raise by blood sugars.

Reactions: 4 people

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ecigs are awesome once you get past the mass produced eliquid and get a decent Mod, vaping is a bit of a hobby for me, helps my sweet tooth, I'm currently vaping S'mores, and also chocolate fudge caramel :) make my own liquid from concentrates to save money.

Reactions: 4 people

amcdee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ecigs are awesome once you get past the mass produced eliquid and get a decent Mod, vaping is a bit of a hobby for me, helps my sweet tooth, I'm currently vaping S'mores, and also chocolate fudge caramel :) make my own liquid from concentrates to save money.

So very true

mama1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh this is interesting.clairemcg, if you don't mind me asking and it's not against forum rules. How do you make your own liquid for vapes?

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
Also increasing potassium intake can ease the effects of Lactose. I. e. eat a banana.

they contain Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG)in small amounts. I found the same when i used them so researched it. I stayed with them tho.. reckoned smoking was the real risk. I don't smoke now :D

Propylene glycol is an organic compound which has ubiquitous applications in everything from food manufacturing to lubrication of industrial equipment. Oral toxicity for both acute and long-term exposure is very low. In humans, PG is metabolized into lactic, pyruvic (a ketone), and acetic (vinegar) acids, all three of which are already naturally found in the human body. The only complication I could see from this would be if you take metformin. Although rare, metformin has been known to potentiate lactic acidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by a build-up of lactic acid. However, it’s doubtful that the amount of lactic acid the PG in your pseudo-cigarette would cause you to metabolize would be sufficient to induce lactic acidosis. The bottom line: propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe and should have a neutral effect on blood sugar concentration.

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

The bottom-bottom line: whatever risks might be involved with the intake of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are clearly much smaller than the known risks of cigarette smoking. I applaud you in your decision and action to discontinue smoking. Nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug to exist, so I highly respect your efforts.