type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
Hello everyone,
I am a type 1 diabetic (since Jan. 27 this year) and recently I've been very unhappy with my sugar levels. My last A1c was 7.7 and for the past month or two, my sugars have always been 10-15 mmol/l and quite frequently higher. I use a paper diary to record my blood sugars, but usually I wait and then fill them in all at once. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother because I have high blood sugars no matter what.

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat a lot of sugary snacks ?? And what have your diabetes nurse said about your levels??

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My nurse said that I can have up to 19g of sugar for a snack, so I don't really eat very sugary snacks, and my diabetes nurse/doctor said that my sugars were a bit high (I'm on fixed doses, so it was changed from 5 NovoRapid for breakfast, 8 for lunch, 8 for dinner and 16 Lantus before bed to 5, 7, 9, and 17).

It's just that I'm tired of constantly having high sugars when I used to have perfect control.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should mention your diabetes control (and any other problems) to your DSN or Consultant Harley, there's meters like the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert that are a bolus advisor and they record bg levels, insulin doses and carb value and give insulin dosing advice based on the that information, ask about these meters when you speak with your team.

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse said that I can have up to 19g of sugar for a snack, so I don't really eat very sugary snacks, and my diabetes nurse/doctor said that my sugars were a bit high (I'm on fixed doses, so it was changed from 5 NovoRapid for breakfast, 8 for lunch, 8 for dinner and 16 Lantus before bed to 5, 7, 9, and 17).

It's just that I'm tired of constantly having high sugars when I used to have perfect control.
I'm not on a fixed amount either and I no what u mean start a food/bloods/ insulin recording book to show you nurse she will have a good view on the lifestyle u have towards you diabetes

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like that if you can make the PIC out

Attachments

• 1419931758627.jpg
    1419931758627.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 349

Happy_Horse

Hi, I have almost had t1 for 2 years now, and it still don't have perfect control.

I am currently having heaps of problems overnight, and my blood sugars are on a roller coaster that ranges between 2.4 mmols and 21.5 mmols!

I used to have almost perfect control, and barely ever went above an 8, but it's all turned upside down. It's ok, your not alone!

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ye same here I'm going on the insulin pump got my appointment on 5th jan

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

As you are on multiple daily doses of insulin then you should NOT be on fixed doses.

You need to get on to a dafne course and to be able to have the understanding, knowledge and confidence to manage your own insulin requirements.

Its no use just writing the results down and not analysing and adjusting.....

You need to carb count, to be aware what your bolus ratios are and how to change them according to high's or lows and also for eating different foods...

Get back in contact with your DSN's and ask about courses. There are also courses on line that can help too!

You need to get the knowledge and flexibility that diabetes lives with you, and not you living around diabetes. As soon as you can learn how to adjust insulins etc the better.

Reactions: 4 people

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will be getting a carb count letter, thanks for all your help everyone!

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's common for T1s to have very good control in the period immediately after diagnosis. This is due to the honeymoon period - a brief resumption of insulin production by the pancreas. Then sadly control deteriorates rapidly once the honeymoon is over. At that point you must learn to carb count, one way or another. Either restrict your carbs each meal to a fixed amount, to match your fixed insulin doses, or, much better learn dose adjustment along with carb counting. As DD said, DAFNE is now your best friend. Apart from this site of course. :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with everything said above, DAFNE or something like it (Bournemouth do something called BERTIE) is the way forwards, fixed doses when first diagnosed is ok but you do then need to get onto a carb counting course leading to adjusting food and/or insulin to suit your meals and meal timings.

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main thing I would have said here has been mentioned already: Honeymoon period.

Your options at this point are probably (In my opinion):
  • Limit & control your diet for the time being
  • Register your interest with your clinic/care team regarding a DAFNE style course ASAP
  • Talk to the care team about your concerns in the meantime

Controlling ("Limiting") your diet as a temporary measure will simply mean that the fixed doses you've been advised of will work better. It does however mean lots of the same foods/snacks for a while so it's not a good long term plan and also limits your lifestyle choices in a way diabetes shouldn't.

It definitely sounds like your honeymoon is over - so first of all sorry - to be fair as a spouse you kind of drew the short straw getting hitched to diabetes =P But as this period has now come to a close it means carb counting and the courses/skills attached to it to adjust your doses based on what you're eating and the impact of your diet on your sugars now an option you can explore! Whilst you can do these things off your own back and online etc, it wasn't until a couple of years ago I went on a DAFNE course after avoiding it for one reason or another for years and it did totally start to change things for me...it happened a bit too late to stop some of the more serious problems diabetes can cause from happening to me...had I known how to do the things I learnt on that course years ago, things now might be very very different - so get your interest registered and the second you can get on that course - DO IT =).

The main thing is though is that the clinic will not likely want you on that course until it's confirmed your honeymoon period is over properly (as much as it can be confirmed anyway) as carb counting up until that point is a real challenge due to the fluctuating levels of your own insulin that can interfere with your bolus doses - so speak to your nurse/doc/care team & get it confirmed, then you can take the steps you're looking to take to get some real control back.

The main thing to remember is, a few months here and there of high sugars by itself will not hurt you badly in the long run - ignoring those high sugars, assuming you'll be ok and not seeking advice/accepting help about it all will though - that's the mistake I made, and it's one you've already partially avoided by coming here =)