Statins - Your experiences please :)

A

AnnieC

I have taken Simvastatin for about 5 years now and have never had any problems with them. I don't actually know what my cholesterol level is now

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried two different statins but had pains in legs each time so stopped taking them, my GP said that should persevere as the pains will go away when body used to them but I decided myself not to continue!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have been on Atorvastatin 20mg for about 6 months with no noticeable side effects. It has dropped my total cholesterol by about 1. Often people will post where they have noticeable side effects but not if they do not which may lead to the impression that they mostly do cause side effects rather than sometimes. Realistically your approach of stopping them to see if you feel better without them and what rise if any in your cholesterol results is the obvious approach for you; but do let your doctor know what you are doing and why.

Maxwell
Thanks Maxwell :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I don't know if I should trot Steph out again but just for the sake of completeness. She says ..........

"People on long-term statin therapy start to notice that their hair is receding faster, they're developing cataracts, they can't hear as well as they used to, they keep forgetting things, they can't open the pickle jar any more, and perhaps they'll need rotator cuff surgery soon, as their shoulders are so sore. They think it's just because they're growing old, but these are all side effects that my research, together with my students at MIT, has uncovered, by comparing statin drug side effects with side effects associated with other drugs in age-matched reviews. "

This is where I stole it from.

http://www.spacedoc.com/why_statins_do_more_harm_than_good

Happy New Year
More ammunition Squire :) Thanks :) Mike

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I refuse to take them as my memory became even worse and I am already blonde as it is:D
I am at 7 but my HDL is 1.4 and my trigs are 0.51. My LDL is 5 but that in itself breaks down but the breakdown is not shown in the standard cholestrol test. Some of the LDL is harmless is my understanding but I am a linguist not a scientist so if anyone can explain I'd be grateful as have read something about it but can't remember what and where.
With your trigs at 0.5 it means your body is carrying the LDL around in a form to process as energy and not store within the fat cells. That is good and a sign that you are low carbing.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
With your trigs at 0.5 it means your body is carrying the LDL around in a form to process as energy and not store within the fat cells. That is good and a sign that you are low carbing.
Hi @Andrew Colvin
How are you?! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Is LDL the cholestrol which sticks to the side of stuff causing the blood flow to block but not all LDL does? It's just that I am permanently arguing with the doc who is pro statins and I want to have the arguments clear in my head. Why is HDL and why is an elevated level of HDL good? What art trygycerides and what role do they play?what is LDL? If you know the answer to these questions and can explain them in simple terms I would be extremely grateful!

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all :)

I know there are threads about this (polling / comments etc etc) but I'm really interested in personal experiences about this drug. What i read online suggests this is a very divisive debate with many suggesting they do more harm than good. I'm getting the feeling they are no good for me at all. The background is that my cholesterol was always good / excellent until recently in the last year. After T2 diagnosis in June of this year, the readings were not good as below

View attachment 10369

I then embarked on weight loss / diet control / exercise and in 3 months this was the result

View attachment 10370

This was no surprise to me at all given my figures have generally been good throughout the years and the fact I turned it around might have shocked the doc, but not me. Just call it one of those things as I just knew it would happen :)

I don't really want to raise a debate about why you go on them (yep, some people are dependent on them) but IMHO, I cannot fathom why I should still be taking them if my BS and my weight are WELL under control. I put my aches, my odd pains, my trembling fingers in the morning TOTALLY down to this drug and as far as I'm concerned, that is it. No more. Don't need them, don't want them and I REALLY believe they do way more damage than the supposed value they're delivering.

Could I ask you share your views and whether the experiences are similar? Thanks Mike :)
Is the second set of results with the help of statins? It's not clear from your post.
When I was diagnosed T2 in November 2013 my cholesterol was 5.5. I was prescribed Metformin and I embarked on a low calorie weight loss regime which included cutting out all my beloved cheese. I also walked every evening.
In February my cholesterol was down to 4.5.
By this time I had found this website and began a LCHF diet (max 50g per day). In May my cholesterol had increased to 5.4. Members here assured me that an increase sometimes happens in the beginning when there has been dramatic weight loss. Since end of May/beginning June I have been medication free (metformin). At the end of November my HbA1c was 38 (November 2013 it was 115 and 116 - as it was repeated). My cholesterol total had moved down slightly to 5.3.
My BP is excellent, on the lower normal range. My BMI is 25.8, down from 44 in September 2013. Yesterday I went for my annual review and the diabetes nurse was very pleased with me. My GP had placed a note on my file to say I need statins. I said no and the nurse agreed. Statins have been offered each time and each time I've refused. I asked for a printout of my results but forgot to pick it up, but I think everything was moving in the right direction.
I know some here will pick up on the fact that I've mentioned I cut cheese out and my cholesterol level went down, then went up again when I reintroduced cheese. Please note that I'm not saying it's the cheese. Other things may have been in play. I had also stopped the porridge because of the increase in BG it gave me.
I've recently reintroduced the porridge. I'm waiting for new test strips so that I can begin testing again (I've been test resting but sticking to safe foods for me). I've been slowly increasing carb intake to between 50 and 100g because I'm nearing my ideal BMI. Still eating cheese. Added benecol.

Sorry, I've digressed a little but my main point is I would rather try to lower my cholesterol through diet than a statin, given the side effects some have mentioned. If I was s lot higher, might think about it.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Andrew Colvin
How are you?! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Is LDL the cholestrol which sticks to the side of stuff causing the blood flow to block but not all LDL does? It's just that I am permanently arguing with the doc who is pro statins and I want to have the arguments clear in my head. Why is HDL and why is an elevated level of HDL good? What art trygycerides and what role do they play?what is LDL? If you know the answer to these questions and can explain them in simple terms I would be extremely grateful!
And what's the significance of the ration they quote? Please? Thanks. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi PT :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yep, 2nd results were after tablets. Mike :)

C

catherinecherub

It is weird that some people can take them with no side effects and yet others have a terrible time with them.
They crippled me, my legs were so painful when I walked that I had visions of ending up in a wheelchair. I could not drive, my memory was failing fast and others around me were noticing a change. They had been prescribed as a precautionary measure after a heart attack and genetics.

Dr. stopped them and things returned to normal slowly, it probably took about six months. This was about 10 years ago.
Was asked recently if I would like to try them again albeit a smaller dose of a different one but I refused and my Dr. understood why. There was no way I was going to try any of them after my previous experience.
My brother, not a diabetic, takes them and has no side effects.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It is weird that some people can take them with no side effects and yet others have a terrible time with them.
They crippled me, my legs were so painful when I walked that I had visions of ending up in a wheelchair. I could not drive, my memory was failing fast and others around me were noticing a change. They had been prescribed as a precautionary measure after a heart attack and genetics.

Dr. stopped them and things returned to normal slowly, it probably took about six months. This was about 10 years ago.
Was asked recently if I would like to try them again albeit a smaller dose of a different one but I refused and my Dr. understood why. There was no way I was going to try any of them after my previous experience.
My brother, not a diabetic, takes them and has no side effects.

Yep ...... I reckon they are / have set me back some months in recovery CC. I took them as a "so what" behind Metformin and BP tablets and anything that I thought was wrong, I blamed on them. Time will tell, but I label statins as my worst enemy.

Still, good from my point of view that it's 31/12/2014 ..... NY will tell

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad takes them after a bypass and has no ill effects but my friend who is a nurse and diabetic had to give them up because he could no longer walk from the busstop to work on them. I refused them even though my cholesterol was a high- my GP wants me on them but the GP that told me my results reckoned that sorting diabetes would sort it too. I will see at my review in May I guess.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks CE and as NY closes in down here. I wish you well :) Take good care

Mike

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi PT :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yep, 2nd results were after tablets. Mike :)

So it's the statins that helped bring down your cholesterol? Not diet alone. Be prepared for s possible rise if you stop the medication.
I think I would prefer a slightly higher level rather than painful side effects from statins.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
So it's the statins that helped bring down your cholesterol? Not diet alone. Be prepared for s possible rise if you stop the medication.
I think I would prefer a slightly higher level rather than painful side effects from statins.

No PT. In my opinion it was ALL down to exercise and diet, not the meds. Convinced about that 100%

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No PT. In my opinion it was ALL down to exercise and diet, not the meds. Convinced about that 100%

Certainly diet and exercise help Mike, give it a few months and go back and have your cholesterol levels checked post-statins.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Certainly diet and exercise help Mike, give it a few months and go back and have your cholesterol levels checked post-statins.
Will do brother :) Have a great NY which is 33 minutes away downunder :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Pravostatin but came off them when I began getting severe dizzy spells which went almost immediately after stopping them. My DN and I are also convinced that they increased my BG levels. Since cutting down on the carbs my latest hba1c results is 42 and my cholesterol is now 4.2 with LDLs at 2.3. However my brother is on them and seems to have no issues.