Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Those figures are a little high ...... can you post details of your daily diet? Perhaps we can put forward a few options. You certainly have the exercise covered so there's something else amiss ..... are you on metformin?

As for statins and high BS, I won't comment as I simply don't know.

Welcome Mike

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Breakfast greek yoghurt with handful of blueberries
Lunch, 2 eggs full fat cream made into an omelette with mushrooms and brocolli
Tea, varies but its always low carb.
The figures have not always been that high, which is worrying because like I said, I had everything under control at one point. Seems that since I started taking the statins again, all hell broke loose :(
As far as I am aware, Im doing everything right regarding the lchf. Im taking 2000g Metforming daily, 2 morning, 2 evening.

C

chris lowe

I started taking them about 5 years ago - Simvastin 20mg - and I have had no problems. My cholesterol is down to 3.5 from 6.9. I do get the occasional night cramp, but I got cramp before I started taking them and it's not a regular thing. I've had restless legs for as long as I can remember which normally starts when I settle down on the sofa for the evening. I put up with it until about an hour before bed then take amitrypiline which means by the time I get to bed it normally eases off & I can get off to sleep. As I said, I get no side effects like those mentioned in other posts. yet my brother wasn't able to tolerate them so we're all different and get affected in different ways. I had more memory problems when I was at work which was due to the fact I was continually stressed out, than I do now with the statins.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow, so glad Ive come across this!
Hi all, Ive been going out of my mind with worry for the past 2 weeks or so. I last went to doc for a review in April (can't remember the numbers, maybe thats the statins o_O) but everything was in the green. I decided to stop taking the statins because of what I heard about them on a programe, and the fact I was now eating low fat and healthy anyway. My next review iscoming up (Monday) so I thought I'd better start taking statins again so my doc wont moan or tell me off plus Ive started low carbing and high fatting. Started taking them 2 months ago and also for the past 2 weeks Ive been testing my sugars. Early morning reading 14.3!! 2 hours after food 12.5 that meal was homemade coleslaw and mackeral. Even when Ive walked to work and back, 30 mins each way and took dog a walk for an hour, my bloods are never lower than 10. Im begining to think its the statins. Im only on a low dose though, altervastatin 10mg.

What were your BG levels like pre statins?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good and under control, never went as high as 7.6 Ive stopped taking them now to see if theres a change. If not, its back to the drawing board because I havent a clue whats causing these high numbers. Its getting to the point where Im scared to test because the stress it causes and I know thats not gonna help in any way.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good and under control, never went as high as 7.6 Ive stopped taking them now to see if theres a change. If not, its back to the drawing board because I havent a clue whats causing these high numbers. Its getting to the point where Im scared to test because the stress it causes and I know thats not gonna help in any way.
Hi I was put onto Pravostatin "because every diabetic should take statins" with a cholesterol fig of 5.4 and BG of 5.7. Whilst it bought my cholesterol down to 3.2 my BS rose to 7.2. I came off the statins due to having dizzy spells and my latest hba1c was 42 and cholesterol 4.2. On the drug manufacturers own website it warns that they will cause an increase in BS for some people which my DN at the time dismissed as being nonsense but I will not risk going on to statins again.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks Daphne.
When I was first put on medication I was told to take the statin then, but I wasnt as knowledgable as I am now about what my BS levels should be etc. After going back for review 3 months later, my cholesterol dropped to just below normal, BS dropped but not enough to be in the green. I was told Id be on statins forever now but was worried that my cholesterol could be too low (if thats possible) so didnt take them any more, I was eating low fat everything anyway. Wasnt until just recently I started taking them again that the increase in BS has occured. Hearing stories like yours and others makes me more convinced that they are the culprits.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doc put me on Atorvastatin 20mg, and have been taking for about 1 month. No side effects so far. I was dreading taking them as my husband had been on a few different ones with terrible results.
My cholesterol was 4.9 and was told that was high.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol has come down since I changed from eating low fat and just looking at the sugar content of foods to full fat and looking at the total carbs and my BS has come down again since coming off statins.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
My cholesterol was 4.9 and was told that was high.

I would have said that was pretty near perfect not high! I suppose the drug companies would say that 3 is high ...

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have said that was pretty near perfect not high! I suppose the drug companies would say that 3 is high ...

I couldn't believe when the doc said it was high.
I go for my review this Tuesday as its a month since being diagnosed. I can't remember what my blood glucose level was.
I think it was 11 but not certain.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't believe when the doc said it was high.
I go for my review this Tuesday as its a month since being diagnosed. I can't remember what my blood glucose level was.
I think it was 11 but not certain.

Make sure you ask for a print out of all your blood results. You are entitled to these, and once you have them you can study them at leisure to make informed decisions in the future, and it's good to be able to see the trends as time passes.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure you ask for a print out of all your blood results. You are entitled to these, and once you have them you can study them at leisure to make informed decisions in the future, and it's good to be able to see the trends as time passes.

Thanks so much :)

senior1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on simvastatin which I took till I started to get pains in my feet and legs. I reported it to my doctor and he said that these would soon go. I persevered for another 3 months then stopped taking them and my feet and legs slowly recovered. I was then persuaded to try another statin said to be better however this was worse I began to lose the use of my left foot I again told my doctor his reply was carry on with them and see how you go. I decided to stop taking them on my own Since then my walking has returned to normal. I know for some but I cant see how they can do you any good if they are affecting your quality of life to the extent that it makes walking difficult and causing servere pain.

Reactions: 7 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on simvastatin which I took till I started to get pains in my feet and legs. I reported it to my doctor and he said that these would soon go. I persevered for another 3 months then stopped taking them and my feet and legs slowly recovered. I was then persuaded to try another statin said to be better however this was worse I began to lose the use of my left foot I again told my doctor his reply was carry on with them and see how you go. I decided to stop taking them on my own Since then my walking has returned to normal. I know for some but I cant see how they can do you any good if they are affecting your quality of life to the extent that it makes walking difficult and causing servere pain.
My husband was on those simvastatin and struggled just like you have. He is now on Atorvastin 10mg and fingers crossed has been ok!

Positivo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone tell me why attempted posting is so often wiped out by a pop up asking me to get involved with Twitter and Facebook. I will say frankly that as a long time professional writer I regard both as places for morons to insult one another. e None of my professional associates want anything to do with them either.

I think the subject I tried to join was statins They are heavily pushed by drugs company reps. because they are cheap to make and highly profitable. Unlike new antibiotics we so desperately need.

Within a couple of weeks of refusing to continue on Sivastatin I lost the pains,and got back full use of my hands.

I could not identify any condition I had that requiered this drug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was on those simvastatin and struggled just like you have. He is now on Atorvastin 10mg and fingers crossed has been ok!

I was on Simvastatin and I ended up hardly being able to walk with other muscle pain and wastage
I asked my GP to move me to Atorvastatin and recovered back to normal over 3 months

God knows what they did to me or more to the point what other hidden damage Atorvastatin might be doing but I lowered my dosage and I will take them for now

:¬)

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stopped taking statins about 2 months ago ,now for the first time in years my legs are pain free