Statins - Your experiences please :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No PT. In my opinion it was ALL down to exercise and diet, not the meds. Convinced about that 100%
I'm sure your exercise and diet have helped significantly but are you saying that statins don't reduce cholesterol levels? The only way you're ever going to be sure it's only thanks to your diet and exercise is to stop the statin and see what happens.
I'm with you on the no statins view but I'm just querying your assertion that taking them has not contributed to your lower cholesterol level. Time will tell ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On diagnosis last January my cholesterol was:

Total 6.4
Trigs 2.01
HDL 1.66
LDL 3.8
TS/HDL ratio 3.9
Non HDL 4.74
Trigs/HDL ratio 1.2

I was put on statins and took them for about 3 months. I then stopped taking them after doing all the research. Within 2 weeks my morning fasting level dropped from the 6's to the 5's. Whether this was as a result of stopping the statins I don't know, but it does seem a coincidence.

On 2nd December :

Total 5.5
Trigs 0.58
HDL 2.2
LDL 3.0
TC/HDL ratio 2.5
Non HDL 3.3
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

LCHF diet and not a lot of exercise.

My husband has been on statins 4 years, not because he had high cholesterol but because he was high risk CVD. (not a diabetic and in good general health). He recently told the nurse on a routine health review that he was finding it very difficult to sleep. She immediately said it is a very common side effect of long term statins and advised him to start taking them in the mornings rather than at bedtime (despite bedtime being the best time for efficiency of the medicine). It does seem to have helped, but as the statins work better overnight when we are in bed, we aren't sure if they are no longer doing their job.

Reactions: 2 people

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on statins now for longer than I can remember. Probably 15 years. Only side affect I have had is muscle cramps but other than that it has kept my cholesterol in check and no heart attack as yet (touch wood).

K

Kat100

Yes I take statins cholestrol was 7 two years ago now it is a 3 5 for now I am very happy with that ....
I was shocked it was so high ...veggie diet and all that .....

All different responses ....but depends on need ....good luck Mike x

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm sure your exercise and diet have helped significantly but are you saying that statins don't reduce cholesterol levels? The only way you're ever going to be sure it's only thanks to your diet and exercise is to stop the statin and see what happens.
I'm with you on the no statins view but I'm just querying your assertion that taking them has not contributed to your lower cholesterol level. Time will tell ;-)

Yep, we shall see what happens but I think the meds contributed very little. In any event, this is day one without them and the trembling this morning lasted all of two minutes, not the usual 20 :) Crossing fingers that it's related ... and I reckon it is.

Thanks PT :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yes I take statins cholestrol was 7 two years ago now it is a 3 5 for now I am very happy with that ....
I was shocked it was so high ...veggie diet and all that .....

Tom takes them for different reasons ...reduced dose after painful muscle cramps ....now a 3 for the past few year ....

All different responses ....but depends on need ....good luck Mike x
Thanks Kat :)

Mike

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tried every brand including ezemetibe and everything gave me chronic memory and the most excruciating hip pain....(leg painexasperated, but I believe now that this is due to restless leg syndrome). Took years to recover fully...

Gp's are also backward in advice that coq10 should be taken with statins....

I wld come off them with or without gp knowledge and ask for another review after 3 or 6 months...

Have a read of spacedoc info on google....

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Tried every brand including ezemetibe and everything gave me chronic memory and the most excruciating hip pain....(leg painexasperated, but I believe now that this is due to restless leg syndrome). Took years to recover fully...

Gp's are also backward in advice that coq10 should be taken with statins....

I wld come off them with or without gp knowledge and ask for another review after 3 or 6 months...

Have a read of spacedoc info on google....
Thank you for that :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On diagnosis last January my cholesterol was:

Total 6.4
Trigs 2.01
HDL 1.66
LDL 3.8
TS/HDL ratio 3.9
Non HDL 4.74
Trigs/HDL ratio 1.2

I was put on statins and took them for about 3 months. I then stopped taking them after doing all the research. Within 2 weeks my morning fasting level dropped from the 6's to the 5's. Whether this was as a result of stopping the statins I don't know, but it does seem a coincidence.

On 2nd December :

Total 5.5
Trigs 0.58
HDL 2.2
LDL 3.0
TC/HDL ratio 2.5
Non HDL 3.3
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

LCHF diet and not a lot of exercise.

My husband has been on statins 4 years, not because he had high cholesterol but because he was high risk CVD. (not a diabetic and in good general health). He recently told the nurse on a routine health review that he was finding it very difficult to sleep. She immediately said it is a very common side effect of long term statins and advised him to start taking them in the mornings rather than at bedtime (despite bedtime being the best time for efficiency of the medicine). It does seem to have helped, but as the statins work better overnight when we are in bed, we aren't sure if they are no longer doing their job.
blue ****, Trigs 0.58 HDL 2.2 Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

:arghh::arghh::arghh:my trig 1.5 HDL 1.2..I'm almost dead:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Last edited by a moderator:

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've done well Mike, and I would only suggest you go with what you feel is right for you. I have been on them since 1998 with no apparent side effects. But as we all know we all can react differently to them.

My doc has suggested that if I can get my readings into line and sustain it, then he would be happy for me to stop taking them. ...Would I want that knowing I have CHD ...probably not

Keep up the great work and happy new year

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks bookmite :)

Enjoy 2015 and appreciate the post :)

Mike

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
So it's the statins that helped bring down your cholesterol? Not diet alone. Be prepared for s possible rise if you stop the medication.
I think I would prefer a slightly higher level rather than painful side effects from statins.
Hello I was just flicking through

Prefer a higher level than side effects from statins is not the choice - heart surgery and stroke are the consequences, Stroke is the worst one from my point of view. Stroke can be caused by pieces of plaque cause by cholesterol building and breaking away and lodging somewhere (or something like that)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I was just flicking through

Prefer a higher level than side effects from statins is not the choice - heart surgery and stroke are the consequences, Stroke is the worst one from my point of view. Stroke can be caused by pieces of plaque cause by cholesterol building and breaking away and lodging somewhere (or something like that)
I understand what you're saying and agree. I said "slightly higher " level not "higher" level. With my figures I'm willing to take the risk but I'm not willing to take a medication that might cripple me.
There are things that I know I can tweak in my diet, to help lower my cholesterol naturally. I should have made that clear when I posted.

Our views are often shaped by our experiences so I have no argument with anyone. I was giving a personal view.

Thanks.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, we shall see what happens but I think the meds contributed very little. In any event, this is day one without them and the trembling this morning lasted all of two minutes, not the usual 20 :) Crossing fingers that it's related ... and I reckon it is.

Thanks PT :)
Good luck! Please understand though that I wasn't arguing the case for taking statins. I have refused them myself and, now I've sorted my BG levels, I'm making an effort to tackle y cholesterol. The LCHF diet hasn't lowered mine as it has for others so I have some re jiggling to do. I know what needs to be done though. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Got you PT :)

I am OFF them :) Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike D I know oncologists aren't endocrynologists, but I am going by what mine said to me on my last oncology review when I mentioned I wasn't taking statins against my GP's wishes. He just shrugged and advised me that low dose aspirin will keep the blood flowing. He must have said something along these lines in his report to my GP as she called me in to see her and prescribed low dose aspirin for me. That was in July. She hasn't mentioned statins since.

I'm not advocating you do this. Just saying what I do. Our circumstances are different.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@Mike D I know oncologists aren't endocrynologists, but I am going by what mine said to me on my last oncology review when I mentioned I wasn't taking statins against my GP's wishes. He just shrugged and advised me that low dose aspirin will keep the blood flowing. He must have said something along these lines in his report to my GP as she called me in to see her and prescribed low dose aspirin for me. That was in July. She hasn't mentioned statins since.

I'm not advocating you do this. Just saying what I do. Our circumstances are different.

I know BT :) I wouldn't do anything that drastic without knowing (or THINK I know) the consequences. It is either the statins or some really bad nerve pain. I twist my hands 180 degrees upside down and they shake (left in particular) noticeably on waking.

Neck feels like "crackle and pops" all the time so there's something out of alignment. Happy Birthday BTW BT :)

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
A few mixed messages here, Aspirin is not a cure for the result of high cholesterol

According to my meagre knowledge of heart dramas ( I have had it all explained to me by two different teams and I have a pacemaker), there are mxed messages in here.

My endo when renewing all my meds said I did not need the blood thinner any more (low pulse rate can result in blood pooling then clotting then stroke) and took me off it.

My cardio got me back for a pacemaker check up and put me back on Xarelto (anti coagulent commonly called a blood thinner) And I he also explained why.

Anyway, I am confident that aspirin is not a remedy for a build up of plaque and aspirin will not stop plaque breakking off and lodging somewhere and causing stroke. I am confident that Xarelto will only help pooling blood to not clot.

I hope that helps.

Butterflies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had them for a few months. The first ones were awful, but the ones I have now are not bad. Only side effect I get is weird dreams lol. Not scary or anything, just involve people I haven't seen for years or situations that are odd. Found taking them in the morning does help slightly (Pharmacist advised this).

Levels are now normal my GP tells me, but I think they might be a lifetime drug. Having said that I would discontinue them if they caused issues like some members have stated here.

Hope you all manage to find a way of dealing with them, whatever options you choose.

Reactions: 2 people