Beware Nhs exemption

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi people not been about for a bit
but i would like to make people aware of this fact.
i came home today and i had a letter saying that i was being charged and fined for not having a currant exemption cert.
i got the fine dropped but had to pay for items i cant believe that they cant sent out reminders like any one else .THE DVLA have no trouble.
I had no idea that you had yo new it if you was diabetic we should be informed notFINED

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes a few other people on here have been caught out, there's another thread about it somewhere. I just had a bit of a rant as it seems to be a really unclear system. I was told they can back date the card so you could perhaps claim back the prescriptions you paid for? Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How often do you have to renew the card?

Presumably this is because the NHS is worried about the high number of people who get spontaneously cured of diabetes and then go on to abuse their free prescription entitlement? :-/

Reactions: 4 people

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I find this utterly ridiculous!! Why do they not send a reminder if it's expired or if you've never been made aware of this like myself - a notice to apply for one?! If no action is taken and prescriptions continue to be filled - then fine the person!!

I've never been advised that I need an exemption card, any time I go to the pharmacy they look at my prescription and say 'oh you're diabetic so don't pay as you have an exemption, sign here' I live in Scotland though so don't know if it's different for me?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this utterly ridiculous!! Why do they not send a reminder if it's expired or if you've never been made aware of this like myself - a notice to apply for one?! If no action is taken and prescriptions continue to be filled - then fine the person!!

I've never been advised that I need an exemption card, any time I go to the pharmacy they look at my prescription and say 'oh you're diabetic so don't pay as you have an exemption, sign here' I live in Scotland though so don't know if it's different for me?
you live in Scotland and therefore d not pay for any prescription.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
you live in Scotland and therefore d not pay for any prescription.

I know I don't pay for the prescription but I seen on another thread that regardless of location and although all diabetics are medically exempt, you still need a valid exemption card to prevent getting a fine. It's rather confusing

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I don't pay for the prescription but I seen on another thread that regardless of location and although all diabetics are medically exempt, you still need a valid exemption card to prevent getting a fine. It's rather confusing
nobody in Scotland pays for a prescription, diabetic or otherwise. If you live in England, you pay for prescriptions unless you meet the exemption criteria and can provide proof

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All diabetics are not exempt from prescription charges. You have to have medication, and have applied for, and obtained an exemption certificate. This needs to be renewed every 5 years.

It is a ludicrous situation, and people are being caught out because they are not aware of the rules. Apparently there is a new database against which all computerised prescriptions are now checked when someone claims exemption. From reports on here and in media, there seems to be rigid enforcement and fines issued even if someone has made an honest mistake or has been misinformed about need to have exemption certificate regardless of the fact that they have a medical condition entitling them to exemption.