1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Beware Nhs exemption

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by caretaker, Jan 2, 2015.

1. caretaker

caretaker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi people not been about for a bit
    but i would like to make people aware of this fact.
    i came home today and i had a letter saying that i was being charged and fined for not having a currant exemption cert.
    i got the fine dropped but had to pay for items i cant believe that they cant sent out reminders like any one else .THE DVLA have no trouble.
    I had no idea that you had yo new it if you was diabetic we should be informed notFINED

• Like Like x 2
    #1 caretaker, Jan 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Cut off in his prime as well apparently.

3. Fallgal

Fallgal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. sunshine84

sunshine84 Type 1 · Active Member

Yes a few other people on here have been caught out, there's another thread about it somewhere. I just had a bit of a rant as it seems to be a really unclear system. I was told they can back date the card so you could perhaps claim back the prescriptions you paid for? Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How often do you have to renew the card?

Presumably this is because the NHS is worried about the high number of people who get spontaneously cured of diabetes and then go on to abuse their free prescription entitlement? :-/

• Like Like x 4
  6. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 2
  7. Beckie2014

Beckie2014 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It needs renewing every ten years I believe

8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

5 years

• Like Like x 2
  9. kimkennedy89

kimkennedy89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find this utterly ridiculous!! Why do they not send a reminder if it's expired or if you've never been made aware of this like myself - a notice to apply for one?! If no action is taken and prescriptions continue to be filled - then fine the person!!

I've never been advised that I need an exemption card, any time I go to the pharmacy they look at my prescription and say 'oh you're diabetic so don't pay as you have an exemption, sign here' I live in Scotland though so don't know if it's different for me?

10. Alasdair

Alasdair Type 1 · Well-Known Member

you live in Scotland and therefore d not pay for any prescription.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kimkennedy89

kimkennedy89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know I don't pay for the prescription but I seen on another thread that regardless of location and although all diabetics are medically exempt, you still need a valid exemption card to prevent getting a fine. It's rather confusing

12. Alasdair

Alasdair Type 1 · Well-Known Member

nobody in Scotland pays for a prescription, diabetic or otherwise. If you live in England, you pay for prescriptions unless you meet the exemption criteria and can provide proof

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

All diabetics are not exempt from prescription charges. You have to have medication, and have applied for, and obtained an exemption certificate. This needs to be renewed every 5 years.

It is a ludicrous situation, and people are being caught out because they are not aware of the rules. Apparently there is a new database against which all computerised prescriptions are now checked when someone claims exemption. From reports on here and in media, there seems to be rigid enforcement and fines issued even if someone has made an honest mistake or has been misinformed about need to have exemption certificate regardless of the fact that they have a medical condition entitling them to exemption.

14. autoimmune chrissy

autoimmune chrissy Type 1 · Active Member

Just another way to get money,robbing *****

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook