Dexcom CGM sensors have just gone from expensive to ridiculous!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it necessary to take the transmitter off when having a shower or can you leave it attached? If you do take it off, how do you go about re starting the transmission again?
No, you can shower, bathe and swim with the transmitter attached. There is no way to remove it without starting a brand new sensor. Sometimes if you are in the water a long time the sensor connection to the receiver fails temporarily. But it usually recovers automatically, and if not, you can restart the same sensor.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Is it necessary to take the transmitter off when having a shower or can you leave it attached? If you do take it off, how do you go about re starting the transmission again?
It's advised you do not take the transmitter off as can dislodge the sensor. The transmitter is waterproof though. Water will only get under the transmitter and in contact with the sensor if not clicked home properly.
Must admit if I have a problem with the ??? it's due to sensor movement ie not stuck down well enough. So after reading Pauline's master class on how to keep a sensor stuck down I did a few adaptions and solved the problem.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No, you can shower, bathe and swim with the transmitter attached. There is no way to remove it without starting a brand new sensor. Sometimes if you are in the water a long time the sensor connection to the receiver fails temporarily. But it usually recovers automatically, and if not, you can restart the same sensor.
It can be done because I managed to do it after realising I hadn't got the transmitter on properly thus water on the connection. Would be a lot easier with two people rather than just yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

@Spiker and CarbsRok .... thanks for explaining... I'm still on the fence wondering what to do for the best but it makes sense cost wise to use Dexcom and not the Libre... I think I'll be Dexing later this month unless other medical sources tell me to wait..... If I get stuck and not sure what the instructions really mean, I'll come online

Cheers :)

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It can be done because I managed to do it after realising I hadn't got the transmitter on properly thus water on the connection. Would be a lot easier with two people rather than just yourself.
Impressive! I wouldn't have attempted it.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Sorry if I was not clear - you do not need to take it off nor stop it when you shower or bathe.

If however you get too much water in between the sensor and the Transmitter, you can either unclip the transmitter and dry it off then clip it back into the sensor (after the shower/bath).

Or you can use a hair dryer without removing anything to dry around them both.

In both the above do not stop the transmitter.

One last word of caution, nothing to do with this subject, if you remove the transmitter from the Sensor then do not try to remove the Sensor from you otherwise the sensor pin can become dislodged and remain inserted in you. When removing the sensor always ensure the Transmitter is clipped into it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of getting a Cgm and am interested in thee comments. I think I can justify £1000 upfront cost but the cost of replacing the sensors at £250 a month is another matter. I wonder what is ten average annual cost of sensors. Any suggestions?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Other users have better long term stats than me but I think you can count on getting an average of at least two uses per sensor.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm thinking of getting a Cgm and am interested in thee comments. I think I can justify £1000 upfront cost but the cost of replacing the sensors at £250 a month is another matter. I wonder what is ten average annual cost of sensors. Any suggestions?
I averaged about 3 weeks each sensor to start with, but after reading all the comments and advice by other users can now average 4 weeks with last sensor lasting 47 days.
Do be aware though you will need to replace the transmitter yearly. It's guaranteed for 6 months only.

schreis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With an active 5 yr old, we seriously cant get more than 5-7 days max out of a sensor. Once ??? Start popping up reading are inaccurate so we just save the hassle and change it every week:(