Worst place....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Where is the worst place you have had a hypo? I'm cringing like mad as just had a low whilst visiting my new boss at a job I haven't even started yet!!! Was planning on telling him in my 'official' first day as rightly or wrongly, people do judge!! But now, he probably thinks I was either drunk or mental ;-) I've got to laugh to stop myself from crying, lol!! Has anyone got a worse story please?! Lol

Reactions: 18 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sure sounds awkward lol

My worst would have to be during a bike ride out in the country... I hoped on my bike intending to ride 30km out into the middle of the country side down the side roads along a local river. It was a really nice day and i got going.. I was out pretty much in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by acres and acres of farm land, maybe 1 or 2 hours in sight (still like 500m away though) and then it hit me, and i had to pull over and sit while i downed glucose tabs lol

Scarier then i wanted that ride to be, but since then i have adjusted my basal and take way more snacks with me on rides lol

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oh dear, of all the times it should happen :(

Not sure about the worst place, for some reason supermarkets have a bg lowering effect on me.

Good luck with the job btw Debloubed :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At a gig in front of a shed load of people.. It was rock & roll & i got away with it as i downed the sugar contents of the "rider"..

I've had hypo bike rides as a kid.. Though funny enough never whilst behind the wheel of a motor vehicle...
On horseback is one of the strangest experience going low for me.... You need a lot of trust in the animal.. lol

Reactions: 6 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started hypoing on an aeroplane just after they'd turned on the seatbelt signs for take off... even the cabin crew were belted in. Didn't have access to my sweets so had to sneak to the back and beg for sugar sachets. Got top treatment for the rest of the flight though ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks guys, it does help to know I'm not alone! Still cringing ☺️

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I started hypoing on an aeroplane just after they'd turned on the seatbelt signs for take off... even the cabin crew were belted in. Didn't have access to my sweets so had to sneak to the back and beg for sugar sachets. Got top treatment for the rest of the flight though ;)
The problem with me is I feel low but if I can't immediately access sugar I try and ignore it?! Even as I type that I know how mad it sounds!! But you are right, people who are unfamiliar will be nervous and give you the royal treatment, lol! I should just stop the meeting and say 'grab a coffee and give me 2mins' - hindsight is a wonderful thing!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know what you mean @Debloubed regarding trying to ignore. I tried that last week in the supermarket... Thought I could get round and home in time.
Suffice to say, I couldn't and had to eat most of a packet of jelly babies before paying... Much to the assistant's amusement :-/

Reactions: 4 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've tried to literally carry jelly babies everywhere at work, even if I'm nipping to the loo just in case I get called into a meeting or stopped and can't get back to my desk! that way at least I can share the 'snack' lol! Seriously thinking about self funding a cgm, have an appt next week at my pump clinic to discuss options

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
You're definitely not alone. We all seem to get hit at the supermarket - me included. I like you have tried to tell myself it's not happening whilst whizzing round the isle only to find myself swigging back the glucose as I'm piling my items on the cashiers conveyer thingy - getting odd looks from people at the same time.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the subject of CGM... I don't rate the Medtronic one. Am definitely going to get the Freestyle Libre when I can. Which hospital do you go to Deb?...seem to remember it wasn't far from me and my dsn has just moved locally.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stoke Mandeville - is Medtronic the paradigm veo one? I like the idea of the insulin suspend pump option but will continue to do research..

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You're definitely not alone. We all seem to get hit at the supermarket - me included. I like you have tried to tell myself it's not happening whilst whizzing round the isle only to find myself swigging back the glucose as I'm piling my items on the cashiers conveyer thingy - getting odd looks from people at the same time.
Why do we do it to ourselves?! If I'd stopped and treated I wouldn't be cringing now! Lol

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh dear, of all the times it should happen :(

Not sure about the worst place, for some reason supermarkets have a bg lowering effect on me.

Good luck with the job btw Debloubed :)
Thanks @noblehead, hope all is well with you

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not had a bad one yet, I look forward to it :bag:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a hypo in front of my NVQ assessor who had no idea I was type 1 and was having quite an important chat with me and all I could say was " a doggy licked my face" mortifying :D
That made me lol! And feel much better, thanks for sharing! what happened afterwards?!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On a first date:oops:
I rolled up staggering like Patsy of Ab Fab fame, slurring my words, then headed into a corner shop and turned into Wolf Woman trying to scoff my way out of the hypo :eek:

Signy
Oh no!! Did your date know? Run a mile? Help you buy food?!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no!! Did your date know? Run a mile? Help you buy food?!

No.
Yes.
No. ( It was obvious from the look on his face that his " Nutter" detector was going off big time, and he was blaming beer goggles for arranging to meet me :D )

No big loss, if someone is that judgemental at the outset, I can't be ars*d to educate them :D

Signy

Reactions: 8 people