Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Did I miss anything? Sorry, I was busy having a cup of grass fed beef bone marrow broth.

Reactions: 11 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
OK, I'm caught up now. However, I'm a bit confused by something. In the DM article it says Dr Deakin has a bowl of berries and double cream or a homemade walnut muffin made with almond meal instead of flour with double cream for lunch. Why two choices?!?? Surely she has come up with an optimal meal she eats every single day for lunch and recommends to others to eat. I would think she would eat only one of those meals. And how many berries does she eat? Is it 10? 15? Strawberries? Blueberries? Some of each? What is optimal? It's all so confusing. I'd better order the book. I'll do that later - I'm off to the gym now.:chicken:

Reactions: 8 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. If she is the founder of the courses advising people To eat low fat, and include starchy carbs at every meal, then she has done a lot of damage. It will take years to get the X-PERT courses changed to reflect this turnaround / paradigm shift.
Is the founder lady a diabetic??I'm type 1 and know it makes sense to eat less carbs. I look at all labels for the total carb content including sugars. I can't believe this lady was saying eat lots of carbs.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Update:
Defrosted a "stick" of chicken stock & stick-blendered up a mug of soup with Chilli, Ginger, lemon grass,garlic, spring onion, and spinach.
Sorted!:cool:

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple, the driving test analogy is to show that although someone has received training in something, if that training changes, it doesn't mean you need to retake the course.
As for changed advice, that has been going on for years. You've been on this forum long enough to appreciate the amount of conflicting information currently handed out. A change in the X- pert cause won't change this.
Ok, thanks.
I have been driving for forty years. If the law was to be changed so that we all have to drive on the right, I would expect to be informed, having previously been taught the highway code and the need to drive on the left. I would expect anyone used to driving on the left would require some updated training.

I absolutely agree that Trudi Deakin is right to publish updated guidelines for X-Pert courses, but that doesn't mean people who have previously had the conflicting information from earlier courses should be left in ignorance of the new guidelines. Perhaps it should be the responsibility of the GP, or whoever referred them to the original course to ensure the patient is informed of the changes. I don't think it is good enough to just update the course for the future, whilst leaving many previous course participants believing they are eating well.

Reactions: 4 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, thanks.
I have been driving for forty years. If the law was to be changed so that we all have to drive on the right, I would expect to be informed, having previously been taught the highway code and the need to drive on the left. I would expect anyone used to driving on the left would require some updated training.

I absolutely agree that Trudi Deakin is right to publish updated guidelines for X-Pert courses, but that doesn't mean people who have previously had the conflicting information from earlier courses should be left in ignorance of the new guidelines. Perhaps it should be the responsibility of the GP, or whoever referred them to the original course to ensure the patient is informed of the changes. I don't think it is good enough to just update the course for the future, whilst leaving many previous course participants believing they are eating well.
Of course you would be informed. All the info is on the X-pert website which everyone has access to. You originally said will everyone be expected to do the course again ? No. Same as if we suddenly changed driving laws, you would be updated, you wouldn't need to be tested again. Do you really think in your 40years of driving no rules or laws have changed ? Was it law to wear seat belt for example ? No, so, rules have changed but no new courses. Thanks for reply.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course you would be informed. All the info is on the X-pert website which everyone has access to. You originally said will everyone be expected to do the course again ? No. Same as if we suddenly changed driving laws, you would be updated, you wouldn't need to be tested again. Do you really think in your 40years of driving no rules or laws have changed ? Was it law to wear seat belt for example ? No, so, rules have changed but no new courses. Thanks for reply.

Ah, right.
Sorry for confusion.
I believe that the GP or person making the referral to the original X-Pert course should be responsible for informing the course participant of the change of direction. This doesn't necessarily need to be that anyone should need to do a complete new course, just to have the information provided to them on the changes.

Whilst I believe that we all have a responsibility for our own health, and education, I have worked with people who have attended these X-Pert courses, and many of them will not have the resources (intellectually and motivationally) to access the website. My concern is for them.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, right.
Sorry for confusion.
I believe that the GP or person making the referral to the original X-Pert course should be responsible for informing the course participant of the change of direction. This doesn't necessarily need to be that anyone should need to do a complete new course, just to have the information provided to them on the changes.

Whilst I believe that we all have a responsibility for our own health, and education, I have worked with people who have attended these X-Pert courses, and many of them will not have the resources (intellectually and motivationally) to access the website. My concern is for them.
And many will have ignored the old advice and will probably ignore new advice too. I wouldn't be too concerned. As ever, the information is available to those that are interested. You can lead a horse to water...........

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
And many will have ignored the old advice and will probably ignore new advice too. I wouldn't be too concerned. As ever, the information is available to those that are interested. You can lead a horse to water...........

Sure Danny but not everyone frequents the internet like we do. But you're right on leading horses to water, some will ignore anything and everything (not just in relation to diabetes).

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not many have no internet access now but agreed, some will miss this. In an ideal world we'd all get courses and refresher training regularly but will never happen. As long as the message reaches the majority.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well having done Xpert in April -June 2009, despite having aske frequently the +1yr refresher has never arrived:mad::mad: despite being put on the ordinary Xpert diabetes (with "educator who didn't understand insulin protocols) rather than Xpert insulin.
The dietary factors were never that relevant as I NEVER subscribed to the "eatcarb plate"
BTW despite not following the diet I was the highest scored student at the final quiz:cool: (also youngest by ~20 years:rolleyes:)

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to know how she controls her PH level with all that fat. Another factor to be considered.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to know how she controls her PH level with all that fat. Another factor to be considered.
I guess she doesn't bother. I do LCHF and never had any issues. You could always shoot her an email and ask though ?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ah, right.
Sorry for confusion.

Totally agree Pipp. Plus the costs to the NHS of retraining people that have been given bad advice previously.... Well the NHS hasn't got the money to do this

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have eaten 80% fat for well over a year and my pH levels are quite normal. I don't do anything special to control them but I do check. I don't go for 'acidosis' levels of ketones as it would make me feel sick, so my ketones are mostly between 1-3mmol/l. Urine pH is normally 6.0 which is bang in the middle of normal (5.5-6.5).

Reactions: 9 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have been to a healthy living exhibition today. (I was there on behalf of GP practice)

The person from the local gym that has just taken (last 2 months) course on nutrition and nourishment and gaining health qualifications was there.

He had a board there from info on his courses......

"Eat lots of starchy carbohydrates"

I gave him Southport Gp research, slim for life Telegrah details, and my own leaflets of lchf and good recipes etc. also gining him the most two important books to read 'the big fat surprise' low carb evolution" and all info tegarding Dr Trudi Deakin.

In 20 min of talking- he is changing his board to reflect low carb, high fat. And changing his advice.

I also told him that humans are only animals clever enough to grow gean and stupid enough to eat it...

If you believe that advice needs to be changed.... Everybody needs to do something to spread the information..

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree Pipp. Plus the costs to the NHS of retraining people that have been given bad advice previously.... Well the NHS hasn't got the money to do this

Thank you, @donnellysdogs .
Think we need to have a social conscience, but no doubt NHS will worry about the legal aspect of admitting they got it wrong. Imagine the compensation claims!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why is it called low carb high fat... Why can't the H be changed to Healthy fat??

Reactions: 8 people