Treatment type
Insulin
3 months using the Libre.
Month 1 HBA1C - 8.5%.
Month 2 HBA1C - 8%.
Month 3 HBA1C - 7.5%.

I hardly prick a finger anymore.

Things learned:
Fast Acting insulin takes at least 25 minutes to start working after injecting. For years my diabetes team said that I should inject just before my meal.
Blood sugar still rises after 4 hours of eating so its really important to test after 2 hours of eating. I was always told to test just before a meal and not after!!!! My team said the most important readings are pre prandial and not post!!!! This turns out to be total garbage.

Insight gained from the Libre has been amazing and without it, Id be none the wiser. I honestly believe that the NHS should seriously make this available to all type 1's.
Being able to test at any time..... I scan on average about 30 times a day now.

The up, down or stable arrow has been a huge help for me and I have managed to avoids highs and hypos.
I have learned what food and drinks to avoid and which are best.
Being able to see accurate graphs over 24 hours has been a huge help in identifying times of day where I need more or less insulin.
In general, the Libre has made life easier for me and brought my HBA1C down by 1.5%.
A 1% drop in HbA1c can result in a risk reduction of up to:
Retinopathy 38%
Nephropathy 28%
Neuropathy 28%
Cardiovascular event 57%

Surely if the above is true, then this would have a huge impact on the NHS if all type 1's had similar results from using the Libre?
The NHS only prescribe about 200 finger sticks per month which works out to about 6 tests per day. The average cost of 1 box of strips is about £14 to the NHS. - Roughly £60 to the NHS per month per type 1!

Testing 6 times a day is simply not enough for any type 1. This treatment provides very little insight if any at all.
I finger pricked for 14 years and NEVER had good control and it was not because I never took my condition serious. I did. I just never had the insight that the Libre has now provided.

My vision has improved. I no longer need my glasses all the time. I can even read my TV menu.
Neuropathy has gone.
I think my neuropathy only got worse in the last month because my control had improved, my BG became more stable. It was definately my nerves waking up. The addition of supplements also helped.

Without the insight provided by Libre, I probably would never have changed to a low carb, high protein, high fat diet.
I would never have seen the effect of full fats on my BG!

Having a more stable BG pattern - I feel healthier, have more energy, am happier.
I ALWAYS got flu between Nov - Jan. First year I have NOT had any colds or flu and its simply down to being in control.

My weight has also gone up so all in all... im happy.

I just wish the NHS would support us now and have the insight to realise that prescribing this will definately save them money in the long term and cut the risk of complications.

I read how much money it costs to treat 1 hypo in A&E. Imagine if all type 1's had a libre and could scan anywhere, anytime and see the arrow?

Insight = knowledge = power
Wowza congratulations on ur results!!!

finney

I have just removed number 5 and find I have a half circle of reaction. It is not as bad as some, but will email the photo to Abbott. I had already decided to have a break too as I needed to consolidate my thoughts and actions. I did really miss it yesterday and could have avoided huge spikes. My Omnipod didn't go right in at the change. On the Omnipod, I soared to 25 BG supposedly, with no awareness. then I retested on the Omnipod to 22.5. Over corrected over night and woke on 2.9. the point I am making is This would not have happened with the Libre, as I would have zapped it during the night and got some indication. I have also learnt to that I must meal bolus 30 minutes at least, in advance. I have learnt that next time I will insert the sensor 24 hours in advance.

From Tim's excellent analysis, I will use a meter before each meal bolus for a while at least.
I have the use of an extra Omnipod for a few days, so shall compare the meter readings and report back
finney

Tried two Omnipod today. Two sets of reading almost the same. 3rd one Tonight read 8.6 and 11.6.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A new Libre low. Activated new sensor 6:15 this evening after 12 hours for it to settle in; 8:15 turn on reader to scan it, reader rejects sensor. 'Your sensor is not working. Please remove it and apply a new sensor.'

This after the last fell off on day 8.

I am so fed up. I cannot call Abbott as the contact number is an international freefone number which Danish comms do not recognise. I have to go to such trouble to get the sodding things, and then this. I hate Abbott for releasing a product so ******. I need the Libre to work out how to bolus, and Im just utterly fed up.

Wretched.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor no. 7 is being erratic - three duds out of seven is not good. I'm doing more fingersticks than I ever did without the Libre because I don't trust it. Starting to wonder if it's worth the expense.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine produced a trace this morning which looks a lot like a handlebar moustache, which suggests that something wasn't quite right. Whether that was with IFG or the sensor I can't tell though. Instinct would suggest the sensor.

def7a199878b8a499ad889403929c628.jpg

xorsyst

I notice that the freestyle libre starter pack is out of stock. Is there any reason I can't just buy the meter and some sensors? I'd like to try this product, it seems so good.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im wondering if it's worth it too.
I'm having a day off today inbetween sensors and not actually missing it to be honest. Probably because I understand myself a lot better because of the Libre to be fair, ... But will all the issues I'm not sure right now if it's worth ongoing £100 per month ... Deffo when we know it works, but not whilst we still have to fingerprick just as much (if not more)

Reactions: 8 people

shorty17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know when they are going to become available again? Been waiting since christmas.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've been without Libre a whole week now. I am still missing it, especially as I'm still trying to settle my new 3-insulin regime down and I could do with continuous data to assess which insulin is causing the lows. I'm testing about 8 or 9 times a day on average and I don't like it! However, I do wonder if I was simply lulling myself into a false sense of security with the Libre - maybe it was always wrong and I might as well have been using a random number generator LOL!

I still have the marks on my arms from the skin reaction. They are fading but very slowly - I really don't think I want to risk permanent scarring. It's such a dilemma, but for the moment I'm resisting putting another one on. I guess if I had a guarantee of accuracy it would be different story. Interestingly, having returned to my manual spreadsheet for collecting and analysing my BG, I've realised that I record far more useful notes this way than I did when using the Libre. I needed to know when I started my Levemir and Insuman cartridges, and I found I hadn't actually recorded that information while I was using the Libre - I obviously got too lazy using just the data, graphs and stats from the system and forgot there are other important details!

@LucySW - why don't you try contacting Abbott via their web form and explaining what has happened to your current sensor? They might agree to replace it.

Smidge

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@LucySW - why don't you try contacting Abbott via their web form and explaining what has happened to your current sensor? They might agree to replace it.

Smidge
Yes, I have and asked them to call. Finally realised that was the way. Harder running a Libre outside the UK tho. But I can't wait for the Danes - they'll probably object to the Libre on ethical grounds. - They're like that.

Bolus learning would really be helped by Libre. My BG measurements are accurate, but there just aren't enough of them ,.. and they leave out the spikes. They're too upbeat.

All part of the exhausting D up-and-down rollercoaster. Wipes me out.

Thanks Smidge. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone know when they are going to become available again? Been waiting since christmas.

You can register with their website and they will alert you when they become available again, I did this after Robert72 pointed it out earlier in the thread.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How long where you waiting on yours?

Not got one yet, but after reading some of the posts over the last week or two I'm in two minds whether to bother or not, they seem to be having a few problems that's for sure.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not got one yet, but after reading some of the posts over the last week or two I'm in two minds whether to bother or not, they seem to be having a few problems that's for sure.
Hopefully they will get the bugs sorted out before they take new customers. I'm not thrilled about having to pay to be a beta-tester ;)

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grrr. Unpredictable.

It was spot on at 11:50 then deviated by more than 15% during the afternoon, then back to very close at 20:25. Managed to avoid a hypo at 15:10 by intuitively taking a dextro tab. I wouldn't mind so much if it was consistently out.

erratic afternoon2015-01-19.png

Reactions: 7 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This device has been released on the market with no organised clinical trials. The only approval it has received is a European CE mark, that has nothing to do with the actual operating accuracy. Although I like other Abbott products, I feel it is very unethical to actually sell this without the correct medical device approval procedures.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grrr. Unpredictable.

It was spot on at 11:50 then deviated by more than 15% during the afternoon, then back to very close at 20:25. Managed to avoid a hypo at 15:10 by intuitively taking a dextro tab. I wouldn't mind so much if it was consistently out.

View attachment 11006
Particularly annoying if it reads too high, Rob, I can see that. Gawd.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still think it's worth it short term for the patterns even if not 100% perfect. I've learned a lot!