In praise of green smoothies

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
My memory is hazy but we lost a heifer to some sort of thyroid/ vitamin B12 issue as a result of it overeating kale that had sprouted in a grass reseed so maybe rotating it is a good idea.
:eek::eek: Thank you CE - I will cut down immediately... I feel sure there is something in it, my nails are such a mess again when I thought my meds were balanced at last... :(

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blimey, having just read bout the dark side of Kale, well - all the other veggies were a no no too, and they are the ones that diabetics can eat.
Mind you I don't think a small handful of Kale is going to have it in for me.

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I've got an abundance of herbs growing in the garden, I cut them, mix with a little water or homemade vegetable juice and freeze in ice cube trays. Perfect to add to smoothies when fresh herbs aren't readily available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please can you let us know which smoothie machines you
all use and prefer ?
I am looking at acquiring one .
Want an easy to clean one and not a bulky one .
As limited kitchen surface space .

Would appreciate all your tips/advice on this .

I have had a Nutribullet for a couple of years now and love it to bits. I got mine from Ideal World as it was on offer, but Asda now sell them. It's got a small footprint and is very easy to clean.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited by a moderator:

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Blimey, having just read bout the dark side of Kale, well - all the other veggies were a no no too, and they are the ones that diabetics can eat.
Mind you I don't think a small handful of Kale is going to have it in for me.
It won't do you anything but good a few times a week, I'm sure, but it blocks my hypothyroid meds apparently, so if you have a thyroid problem it's not good to eat too much apparently... spinach, broccoli and green tea too... mind you, that information came from an American source, not UK... have to keep researching maybe... :(

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's a bit of a blow as
I have an underactive thyroid. I don't use kale but love broccoli and sprouts :-(
Apparently, there is research going on into the connection between thyroid problems and diabetes... it would seem as though they are linked somehow... a lack of balance in the body over a long period maybe?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I've got an abundance of herbs growing in the garden, I cut them, mix with a little water or homemade vegetable juice and freeze in ice cube trays. Perfect to add to smoothies when fresh herbs aren't readily available.
You are so good... :) I am so disorganised and spend more time packing and unpacking and catching up with all the animals to remember to do stuff like that... that's my excuse for being feeble, anyway... :p

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently, there is research going on into the connection between thyroid problems and diabetes... it would seem as though they are linked somehow... a lack of balance in the body over a long period maybe?

I have thought that for a long time. I just think my auto immune system is broken, so it's not surprising I have developed these diseases

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have thought that for a long time. I just think my auto immune system is broken, so it's not surprising I have developed these diseases
Do you take levothyroxine? Until recently I could get Eltroxin in Saudi, which is natural, not synthetic, but I can't seem to get it any more.. I have never managed to get balanced since I had to start taking the levothyroxine they give me in the UK... we had such a lot of trouble in Bahrain with hooky drugs coming from India and Pakistan that I decided to ask the NHS for mine, to be safe... I have ulcerative colitis too, and that's auto-immune... since the day I started low-carbing in October I have never had a day's illness with it - and it has plagued my life constantly until then, since I was a teenager... amazing, isn't it? The deadly carbs I suppose... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Totto uses a natural option for thyroid treatment.

I think.

Pls correct me if I am wrong, Totto. :)
Really? That sound interesting... I'd be much happier doing things naturally... I never mind paying for my own meds, but it's finding the right thing that's the difficult part.... I'm away such a lot it's the only way I can do things often... I have sent for supplies for my meter to be delivered out here as I cannot find them anywhere... Bless you Amazon... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do indeed! Usually Erfa and/or Nature-throid, wonderful little pills!
What a prompt answer - thank you Totto... I will research immediately... I am on 125mcg at the moment - I have only had a sort of balance since last year - it took 15 years to get there... :p

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you take levothyroxine? Until recently I could get Eltroxin in Saudi, which is natural, not synthetic, but I can't seem to get it any more.. I have never managed to get balanced since I had to start taking the levothyroxine they give me in the UK... we had such a lot of trouble in Bahrain with hooky drugs coming from India and Pakistan that I decided to ask the NHS for mine, to be safe... I have ulcerative colitis too, and that's auto-immune... since the day I started low-carbing in October I have never had a day's illness with it - and it has plagued my life constantly until then, since I was a teenager... amazing, isn't it? The
I looked up Erfa and found this - it is alarming and maybe you should check your batch numbers Totto?
Dear Erfa Canada: Stop this nonsense and change your desiccated thyroid back!! - Stop The Thyroid Madness
It's a forum I gather... did you already see this?
Hi Susikav, yes I did see it but I think mine are the old formula, I haven't had any problems yet anyway.
Levo never did much for me but NDT is magic.

C

catherinecherub

I do indeed! Usually Erfa and/or Nature-throid, wonderful little pills!

I looked up Erfa and found this - it is alarming and maybe you should check your batch numbers Totto?
Dear Erfa Canada: Stop this nonsense and change your desiccated thyroid back!! - Stop The Thyroid Madness
It's a forum I gather... did you already see this?

To people who take prescribed thyroid medication, please alert your G.P. if you decide to use natural products.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you take levothyroxine? Until recently I could get Eltroxin in Saudi, which is natural, not synthetic, but I can't seem to get it any more.. I have never managed to get balanced since I had to start taking the levothyroxine they give me in the UK... we had such a lot of trouble in Bahrain with hooky drugs coming from India and Pakistan that I decided to ask the NHS for mine, to be safe... I have ulcerative colitis too, and that's auto-immune... since the day I started low-carbing in October I have never had a day's illness with it - and it has plagued my life constantly until then, since I was a teenager... amazing, isn't it? The deadly carbs I suppose... :)

Yes I am prescribed Levothyroxine, I'm on 200mcg now, it took a couple of years to get a correct diagnosis, and the dosage has been increased every two years or so, as I keep dipping :-(
I've read about non-synthetic thyroxine which a lot of people seem to find more effective, but I've also read that it's often difficult to get a consistent dosage per tablet. Not happy with my current treatment, but I don't think there's an acceptable alternative. Someone said in an earlier post that we never get back to the way we were prior to developing this condition, and I totally agree with this, I've never felt well, and can trace all my current ailments back to developing hypothyroidism.

I also agree with what you have said about ulcerative colitis - I don't have this, but I have had lots of gastric problems since I was a teenager, and over recent years have had a lot of problems with tummy upsets ( I'll spare you the details!) but this seems to have settled down since I started lchf in October last year