1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

In praise of green smoothies

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Brunneria, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:eek::eek: Thank you CE - I will cut down immediately... I feel sure there is something in it, my nails are such a mess again when I thought my meds were balanced at last... :(

• Like Like x 2
  2. Susikav

3. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Blimey, having just read bout the dark side of Kale, well - all the other veggies were a no no too, and they are the ones that diabetics can eat.
    Mind you I don't think a small handful of Kale is going to have it in for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rose28

Rose28 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I've got an abundance of herbs growing in the garden, I cut them, mix with a little water or homemade vegetable juice and freeze in ice cube trays. Perfect to add to smoothies when fresh herbs aren't readily available.

• Like Like x 4
    #44 Rose28, Jan 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  5. seanj67

seanj67 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had a Nutribullet for a couple of years now and love it to bits. I got mine from Ideal World as it was on offer, but Asda now sell them. It's got a small footprint and is very easy to clean.

• Like Like x 4
  6. pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    #46 pavlovsdog, Jan 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  7. Susikav

It won't do you anything but good a few times a week, I'm sure, but it blocks my hypothyroid meds apparently, so if you have a thyroid problem it's not good to eat too much apparently... spinach, broccoli and green tea too... mind you, that information came from an American source, not UK... have to keep researching maybe... :(

• Like Like x 2
  8. Susikav

Apparently, there is research going on into the connection between thyroid problems and diabetes... it would seem as though they are linked somehow... a lack of balance in the body over a long period maybe?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Susikav

You are so good... :) I am so disorganised and spend more time packing and unpacking and catching up with all the animals to remember to do stuff like that... that's my excuse for being feeble, anyway... :p

10. pavlovsdog

I have thought that for a long time. I just think my auto immune system is broken, so it's not surprising I have developed these diseases

• Like Like x 2
  11. Susikav

Do you take levothyroxine? Until recently I could get Eltroxin in Saudi, which is natural, not synthetic, but I can't seem to get it any more.. I have never managed to get balanced since I had to start taking the levothyroxine they give me in the UK... we had such a lot of trouble in Bahrain with hooky drugs coming from India and Pakistan that I decided to ask the NHS for mine, to be safe... I have ulcerative colitis too, and that's auto-immune... since the day I started low-carbing in October I have never had a day's illness with it - and it has plagued my life constantly until then, since I was a teenager... amazing, isn't it? The deadly carbs I suppose... :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Totto uses a natural option for thyroid treatment.

I think.

Pls correct me if I am wrong, Totto. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do indeed! Usually Erfa and/or Nature-throid, wonderful little pills!

• Like Like x 5
  14. Susikav

Really? That sound interesting... I'd be much happier doing things naturally... I never mind paying for my own meds, but it's finding the right thing that's the difficult part.... I'm away such a lot it's the only way I can do things often... I have sent for supplies for my meter to be delivered out here as I cannot find them anywhere... Bless you Amazon... :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Susikav

What a prompt answer - thank you Totto... I will research immediately... I am on 125mcg at the moment - I have only had a sort of balance since last year - it took 15 years to get there... :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. Susikav

17. Susikav

Stopthethyroidmadness.com

18. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Susikav, yes I did see it but I think mine are the old formula, I haven't had any problems yet anyway.
    Levo never did much for me but NDT is magic.

• Like Like x 2
  19. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

To people who take prescribed thyroid medication, please alert your G.P. if you decide to use natural products.

• Like Like x 2
  20. pavlovsdog

Yes I am prescribed Levothyroxine, I'm on 200mcg now, it took a couple of years to get a correct diagnosis, and the dosage has been increased every two years or so, as I keep dipping :-(
    I've read about non-synthetic thyroxine which a lot of people seem to find more effective, but I've also read that it's often difficult to get a consistent dosage per tablet. Not happy with my current treatment, but I don't think there's an acceptable alternative. Someone said in an earlier post that we never get back to the way we were prior to developing this condition, and I totally agree with this, I've never felt well, and can trace all my current ailments back to developing hypothyroidism.

I also agree with what you have said about ulcerative colitis - I don't have this, but I have had lots of gastric problems since I was a teenager, and over recent years have had a lot of problems with tummy upsets ( I'll spare you the details!) but this seems to have settled down since I started lchf in October last year

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook