In praise of green smoothies

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To people who take prescribed thyroid medication, please alert your G.P. if you decide to use natural products.
You can get natural thyroid medication on prescription too. If you are lucky.

But yes of course, if you want to try NDT without a prescription you need to inform your doctor. The usual test doesn't work very well when on NDT, you need to get FT3 tested too.

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi Susikav, yes I did see it but I think mine are the old formula, I haven't had any problems yet anyway.
Levo never did much for me but NDT is magic.
I have ordered Janie Bowthorpe's book, Stop the Thyroid Madness...If you haven't read it I will precis it for you if I find it interesting...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
You can get natural thyroid medication on prescription too. If you are lucky.

But yes of course, if you want to try NDT without a prescription you need to inform your doctor. The usual test doesn't work very well when on NDT, you need to get FT3 tested too.
Thank you Totto...

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We need more smoothie recipes, come on peeps!
I've found a few on different websites, but Im not sure they would be classed as smoothies, one's a nice coffee concoction which would be lovely chilled with lots of ice:

1 cup cold coffee
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsps flax seeds

3 tbsp chia seeds
3/4 cup almond milk
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Fruit of choice

1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tbsps honey

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a recipe for a warm green smoothie once.

It was basically a hot apple and cinnamon drink:

a 60:40% veg:fruit combo
Spinach or kale
Any other mild tasting veg
A couple of apples
A really good pinch of cinnamon, clove, allspice, to your taste (apple pie spices)
A chunk of fresh lemon or a squeeze of lemon juice (to stop it going brown)
Add raisins (unless you are low carb)
A few pecans

You could use coconut milk, if you like

Blend everything together til smoothie smooth.
Heat (by microwave, on hob, or by Vitamix magic)

Enjoy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black Forest Gateau smoothie

Leafy greenery
Mild tasting veg
Frozen berries (I use Tescos frozen summer fruits mix)
Dash of plain yog or double cream :wacky: Or cashews if you are dairy free
Cocoa powder or raw cacao chunks or cacao nibs

Adjust all quantities, to taste.
If you need extra sweetness, I would go with apples or pineapples, but you might need some sweetener to cut the cacao.

Enjoy

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my nutribullet to bits. My husband who is T2 and almost impossible to feed healthy food to, will actually take a nutribullet smoothie and enjoy it. So much healthier than toast and marmalade. I started trying to stick to recipes but invariably I make it up as I go along. Half fill container with spinach or kale (possibly not so much kale after previous posts), add some kind of fruit (usually frozen berries) then add flax, chia or sunflower seeds and/or nuts, plus a dollop of Greek yogurt and coconut oil and top up with a mix of coconut water and water. Sometimes I'll throw in a raw egg or protein powder. Frozen banana is lovely but at 23 carbs for a small one it is not a great choice.

I'm definitely going back over this post and pinch some of these recipes. They look great.

Reactions: 5 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The combination of ingredients in this smoothie taste delicious :)

Water
Small piece banana
Few grapes
1/2 Pear
Chia seeds
Lots of spinach & kale
Coconut oil

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its only a tsp of goji, just to get the benefit. Pineapple although tasty too high in carbs and also bad for those on statins.

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read that before, and broccoli and spinach I gather - and green tea... hah, damned if you do and damned if you don't... I am hypothyroidal and it is a worry - I grow my own kale and I love it... it's good for you in so many other ways too.. what can you do?:confused::(

I am a bit late reading through this thread so there may be a reply to this already… I have a thyroid problem too, and reading around broccoli and kale, it seems that lightly steaming it before using in a smoothie is the best option for us, rather than raw.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am a bit late reading through this thread so there may be a reply to this already… I have a thyroid problem too, and reading around broccoli and kale, it seems that lightly steaming it before using in a smoothie is the best option for us, rather than raw.
I think you may be right though.... I remember reading a while ago that you shouldn't eat kale raw... I eat the stalk of broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage raw but it doesn't appeal otherwise, unless it's cooked... I have ulcerative colitis too, so raw veg is not good!!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Its only a tsp of goji, just to get the benefit. Pineapple although tasty too high in carbs and also bad for those on statins.
Why is pineapple bad for people on statins? I know grapefruit is not good for people on blood pressure tablets... what is in pineapple - do we know? So much stuff to worry about! I have researched statins and can find no good reason to take them - ever... they made my sister very ill, and now we are aware of the rubbish that's talked about cholesterol it seems a bit silly to take them... High Carb Low Fat brought my triglycerides down to 0.35... better to eat butter, cheese and cream than take them!! :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why is pineapple bad for people on statins? I know grapefruit is not good for people on blood pressure tablets... what is in pineapple - do we know? So much stuff to worry about! I have researched statins and can find no good reason to take them - ever... they made my sister very ill, and now we are aware of the rubbish that's talked about cholesterol it seems a bit silly to take them... High Carb Low Fat brought my triglycerides down to 0.35... better to eat butter, cheese and cream than take them!! :)
Sorry its meant to say grapefruit. Grapefruit for some reason increases the level of some statins.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware that not everyone can drink smoothies - blending a salad was not a good idea for me - I bought a Nutribullet just before diagnosis and stopped using it as soon as I tested -

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks!

I bustled off and googled.

Here's a link to an article that puts it in perspective.
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-kale-and-how-to-eat-around-it

I'm going to carry on with kale, rotated with spinach, probably 5 days a week. :)

I just knew kale was suspect - have never really liked it, although we used to grow it and my husband loved it. I very rarely buy it but, on the offchance, I did just that today. Thought I should get some to add to my green soup. But I do like spinach, brussels sprouts and watercress and use lots of those, which seems to be just as bad. Still, a couple or three times a week shouldn't be too harmful.

Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry its meant to say grapefruit. Grapefruit for some reason increases the level of some statins.

I was dismayed to find, years ago, when I was put onto statins, that I couldn't have my favourite fruit (grapefruit)any more. As far as I am aware, I haven't had any problem with statins in all these years. But I haven't lost the taste for grapefruit either.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb

You are posting on a thread that hasn’t been active for over 4 years.
I suspect many of the original posters are no longer around, and I have certainly moved on since my green smoothie days!
(My eating has been in constant slow evolution for years)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb

You are posting on a thread that hasn’t been active for over 4 years.
I suspect many of the original posters are no longer around, and I have certainly moved on since my green smoothie days!
(My eating has been in constant slow evolution for years)
Yesterday, I saw this thread had popped back up again and thought - a far cry from our current carnivorous @Brunneria! :)