Status
Not open for further replies.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I think it's part of NICE guidelines to put peeps on statins once they have been diagnosed with diabetes, if I remember rightly there's a link between increased cholesterol and diabetes, and I also think they offer some protection against developing high cholesterol. On the other hand, I could have just made all that up in my foggy brain! I was put on them straight away when I was diagnosed with diabetes along with anti hypertensives. I had a lot of problems with all the medication, but with a bit of chopping and changing, it has settled down. I have read in other parts of the forum that statins affect BGs negatively, and a few people have refused them. Not sure of the research evidence, so perhaps someone could point us in the right direction?

Cats are funny creatures, I gave up trying to fight mine off at bed time - they will have their way! She did make me laugh though, I miss her and her little sister :cat: :cat: :-(
They are indeed funny little creatures - I love mine to bits, but I loved all my dogs too... I miss them terribly still... I travel so much now it wouldn't be fair to have new ones at the moment - it takes me about 9 months to train a puppy - 24/7 and I couldn't do it, never mind leaving the poor wee thing with a maid when I am away.... It will have to wait till I finally retire in a year or two:)... I cannot wait...
I had a body-scan 5 years ago and had zero calcification, as I did when I had to have an angiogram 16 years ago, so, assuming that cholesterol causes calcification I can only imagine that my higher-than-the-doc-likes levels are normal for me and nothing to worry about... would that make sense? I have traditionally low blood-pressure which remains very normal for me... I have never been overweight by more than a couple of kilos and until I got to about 60 could more-or-less eat what I liked - apart from the stuff that upset my ulcerative colitis of course... :banghead: Since low-carbing I have been very well, but now am worrying about my hypothyroid symptoms... blimey, does it ever end? I have just ordered Janie Bowthorpe's book, Stop the Thyroid Madness... I have spent 16 years trying to get it balanced and failing miserably so am looking forward to receiving my book from Amazon in a few days... I know from my own, and friends' experiences, that the medical profession consistently under-estimates the levels that people start to suffer at... The latest research linking hypothyroidism with diabetes 2 is very interesting too... I seem to have been a mess since I was 49... ;) This forum has improved me enormously! If it wasn't for Sable and Totto I would never have found Janie Bowthorpe's book and am seriously looking forward to reading it... Stop the Thyroid Madness indeed... :) Sorry - wittering again... :oops:

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I LOVE peanut butter on celery. Just watch the carbs though. Ive found each type varies hugely.
I love it on celery too, but stopped eating it years and years ago because I thought it was fattening... I shall start again this minute... :) What about putting it in hot chocolate... is that alright do you suppose? :) How do you know the carb levels - just by what it says on the jar, or by the way your levels react?

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most definitely. Try to get no added sugar tho the ones with aren't too bad
Found a lovely one with no sugar and organic... shall start on it tonight... bought it just to put a bit in low-carb peanut-butter cookies... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most definitely. Try to get no added sugar tho the ones with aren't too bad
I cannot find the recipe for taramas but will keep looking - may have left it in the UK, thinking I wouldn't make it here as I cannot get the roe... I will get my sister to look in my drawer... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B: ran out of berries and cream :-o so just Greek yoghurt today and a coffee with cream
L: M&S Mulligatawny soup
3 o'clockses: avocado
D: chicken and Mediterranean veg.

Did my shopping and am now well stocked with berries and cream for later :)
Sounds perfect - low-carb day and treats tomorrow... :)

S

Sable_Jan

I love it on celery too, but stopped eating it years and years ago because I thought it was fattening... I shall start again this minute... :) What about putting it in hot chocolate... is that alright do you suppose? :) How do you know the carb levels - just by what it says on the jar, or by the way your levels react?
I'd say both but if you get the GI & GL Counter by Winnie Chan. Small handy pocket size book. Got my for less than £3 on eBay. 2nd hand but in very good nick (condition) :oops:

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Isn't it so annoying. The pkt parsley sauce gives carbs per 200ml as made up!!! Going to have to.find the carbs in the suggested milk, multiply their figure by 3 then take the.milk carbs off the total......use soya milk.......

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Groats with other stuff 5.4 before, 5.9 after
4-mile walk
Snack on beach: 2 Babybels, home-made olive bread, tomato, nuts, water
Snack in beach cafe: coffee w/milk; carrot & walnut cake :wideyed:
4-mile walk home: 5.2
D: baked mackerel, steamed green beans, celeriac, cabbage & sweetcorn :sorry: w/horseradish, cream cheese & butter sauce. 5.5 before, 7.0 after :dead: fell at the last fence, but a good run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are indeed funny little creatures - I love mine to bits, but I loved all my dogs too... I miss them terribly still... I travel so much now it wouldn't be fair to have new ones at the moment - it takes me about 9 months to train a puppy - 24/7 and I couldn't do it, never mind leaving the poor wee thing with a maid when I am away.... It will have to wait till I finally retire in a year or two:)... I cannot wait...
I had a body-scan 5 years ago and had zero calcification, as I did when I had to have an angiogram 16 years ago, so, assuming that cholesterol causes calcification I can only imagine that my higher-than-the-doc-likes levels are normal for me and nothing to worry about... would that make sense? I have traditionally low blood-pressure which remains very normal for me... I have never been overweight by more than a couple of kilos and until I got to about 60 could more-or-less eat what I liked - apart from the stuff that upset my ulcerative colitis of course... :banghead: Since low-carbing I have been very well, but now am worrying about my hypothyroid symptoms... blimey, does it ever end? I have just ordered Janie Bowthorpe's book, Stop the Thyroid Madness... I have spent 16 years trying to get it balanced and failing miserably so am looking forward to receiving my book from Amazon in a few days... I know from my own, and friends' experiences, that the medical profession consistently under-estimates the levels that people start to suffer at... The latest research linking hypothyroidism with diabetes 2 is very interesting too... I seem to have been a mess since I was 49... ;) This forum has improved me enormously! If it wasn't for Sable and Totto I would never have found Janie Bowthorpe's book and am seriously looking forward to reading it... Stop the Thyroid Madness indeed... :) Sorry - wittering again... :oops:
Yet by having the correct diet, which the NHS fail to give the correct advice on, you cholestrol is likely to to fall anyway, so not really much need for statins, Think the NHS have a lot to learn really.

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast poached egg bacon mushrooms tiny slice spelt toast
lunch ham and cheese salad
dinner onion bajhia, keema with spinach and peas, salad, 1/2 poppadum

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

B: Groats with other stuff 5.4 before, 5.9 after
4-mile walk
Snack on beach: 2 Babybels, home-made olive bread, tomato, nuts, water
Snack in beach cafe: coffee w/milk; carrot & walnut cake :wideyed:
4-mile walk home: 5.2
D: baked mackerel, steamed green beans, celeriac, cabbage & sweetcorn :sorry: w/horseradish, cream cheese & butter sauce. 5.5 before, after ??? 45 mins to test time
I think as you had a 4 mile walk after the carrot cake you should get away with it... ;)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - bacon, sausage, poached egg, mushrooms and Tomatoe
S - 9bar
D - 2 egg Omlette with ham and cheese
I have profiteroles for dessert :)

No lunch today as I had breakfast at lunchtime lol

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a nice v low carb yoghurt in Tescos today - 0.5 carbs per 100g. It's made from coconut milk, is non-dairy and is called CoYo. Only down sides are that it's fairly high in saturated fats and costs £1.69 per tub.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I know exactly what you mean, my thyroid stopped working about 14 years ago; it took my GP 2 years to give me a diagnosis as my bloods were weird and not always in the 'correct' range - despite the fact I was symptomatic and deteriorating physically. I still have problems, I seem to have a dip every two years, and my recent blood tests show my thyroid levels are 'supressed' so it looks like they are going offline again :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: As earlier, slice of ham, baby toms, German smoked cheese, with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
L: Out for lunch, yummy seafood pancake with salad, and as it was a belated birthday treat I also had a 'banoffee mess' for afters, followed by a cappuccino coffee
D: no D, still full off lunch!
Snack: blackberries, yoghurt and cream with cocoa and berry flaxseed

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Tonight im trying venison burgers and cauliflower cheese.
Well the venison burgers were nice enough, but on a blind taste test i doubt i could tell much difference between them or beef. But my Bg was nice and low after dinner, so alls good.

Reactions: 5 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I'm mostly going to be making a batch of chicken and leek soup. Its almost magic in lowering my bg...its warming and filling too
Hi @alliebee getting back on track after a while of not doing quite so well with lowcarb :( could you share your chicken and leek soup recipe? :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.