Women and type 1 - does anyone have good control ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks to the DM for this uplifting story !! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...es-40-likely-die-men-disease-study-finds.html

To be honest I struggle a lot with my BG, I find that it all goes massively out of sync when I have a period and due to hormones I can't get it down even with corrections as I'm more insulin resistant and then I am also more insulin resistant in the morning so if I wake above 10 I can't get it down until after lunchtime.

It's really not much fun being a woman with type 1 at all, even doing low carb doesn't touch the sides most days...

How do other ladies get on and any thoughts ?

Reactions: 5 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no control over my woman. Better control over my diabetes. :D

... sorry

Reactions: 17 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have no control over my woman. Better control over my diabetes. :D

... sorry

Maybe I need a man who can control my diabetes lol !!!

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-6_20-30-28.png
    upload_2015-2-6_20-30-28.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to sympathize with you all when you period comes.........

if it was me though I would be looking for patterns during such times............

how much resistance is there?

is it the same each time?

if and when you can spot a pattern you can try your best to prepare for it with basal adjustments............

(another great reason for a split dose...;))..........

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2/3's of this LCHF T1 group is under 6, they might have some ideas that could be out of left field.
https://www.facebook.com/search/keyword/?q=typeonegrit

Hi Jack that link isn't working ?

Yes low carb doesn't touch the sides for me most days, I eat a high protein diet and take insulin for this but if running high which is most days then till lunch I can never get it down, I did notice this week though on Tuesday when I didn't eat until 3pm and started at 5.7 first thing that I stayed below 7 until i ate, was nigh on perfect just a shame we have to eat food...

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have to sympathize with you all when you period comes.........

if it was me though I would be looking for patterns during such times............

how much resistance is there?

is it the same each time?

if and when you can spot a pattern you can try your best to prepare for it with basal adjustments............

(another great reason for a split dose...;))..........

Thanks you sound like my DSN, in a nice way. It's still unpredictable each month as not a regular pattern, I do up my basal. It still runs high, it's never picture perfect, I have felt so defeated by this so often and so hence my post - do any women achieve good/perfect readings, I hope so as I would like to feel inspired !

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack that link isn't working ?

Yes low carb doesn't touch the sides for me most days, I eat a high protein diet and take insulin for this but if running high which is most days then till lunch I can never get it down, I did notice this week though on Tuesday when I didn't eat until 3pm and started at 5.7 first thing that I stayed below 7 until i ate, was nigh on perfect just a shame we have to eat food...
I came across it on dr troy stapleton twitter feed
https://twitter.com/drtroystapleton/status/561521810739433474/photo/1

the hard core keto guys recommend ~20% energy from protein

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-2-6_21-5-47.png

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could put a different spin on that story.

Mortality rates with T1 are higher in men than women

Women die, on average, at an older age than men. Women, before the menopause seem to be protected against CVD . It's been known for a long time that this protection seems to be lost in women with T1. Thus, the excess mortality :ie over women who don't have diabetes is greater in women than the excess mortality in T1 men over those men who don't have diabetes.
(that's why the CVD risk in T1 women is treated differently than the risk in the non diabetic female population)

I do wonder how much the figures are influenced by the number of women who omit insulin injections . Sadly ,long term follow up of those that do have shown that it's highly associated with the development of complications and increased mortality rates.

That isn't the same thing as a short rise during menstruation but it's obviously important to try to keep it minimal .As NVB says it's important to look for patterns and use increased insulin to counter the rise.Not easy if your cycle is not regular but personally I remember subtle signs that it was on the way. (not necessarily glucose related)
When you have higher morning levels have you tried using exercise at all? As my T1 was late onset, I didn't have that many years when I had T1 and was still menstruating but I did find that exercise still 'worked' .during my periods.
I have the opposite experience about eating, I've always found though that I have better overall levels if I don't miss meals

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
S
You could put a different spin on that story.

Mortality rates with T1 are higher in men than women

Women die, on average, at an older age than men. Women, before the menopause seem to be protected against CVD . It's been known for a long time that this protection seems to be lost in women with T1. Thus, the excess mortality :ie over women who don't have diabetes is greater in women than the excess mortality in T1 men over those men who don't have diabetes.
(that's why the CVD risk in T1 women is treated differently than the risk in the non diabetic female population)

I do wonder how much the figures are influenced by the number of women who omit insulin injections . Sadly ,long term follow up of those that do have shown that it's highly associated with the development of complications and increased mortality rates.

That isn't the same thing as a short rise during menstruation but it's obviously important to try to keep it minimal .As NVB says it's important to look for patterns and use increased insulin to counter the rise.Not easy if your cycle is not regular but personally I remember subtle signs that it was on the way. (not necessarily glucose related)
When you have higher morning levels have you tried using exercise at all? As my T1 was late onset, I didn't have that many years when I had T1 and was still menstruating but I did find that exercise still 'worked' .during my periods.
I have the opposite experience about eating, I've always found though that I have better overall levels if I don't miss meals

What I've learnt so much with type 1 is how different we all are, that even with this condition we are all so unique. What works for one doesn't always work for another. As a mum each morning is spent getting daughter ready, walking the dog to school and then off to work so each morning is like doing a marathon before I even get to work, I used to have a bit of flexibility before work so would go for a run for 20 minutes, but that didn't bring my bg down either. I changed my ratios in the morning last year from 1.5 units of qa per 10g, but think that should be 2 units to 10g now.

Still waiting to hear from any women achieving excellent results, so if any one can share their success that would be great ;)

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder how many women are suffering with PCOS in addition to type 1? PCOS coupled with the higher percentage of body fat will undoubted increase insulin resistance in women all the time, not just pre-period.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I have PCOS and T1 and my control is quite well (last a1c is 31mmol/mol - 5%). My hormones seems to have settled down after finding a proper pill. Maybe it'll useful to talk to your consultant, they are hormones doctors after all, so they may be able to help with the hormones acting out and help with your control around the period?

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to say I have great control but I don't and during my period I tend to go very low. I can reduce doses etc but it's not very consistent so I get caught out regularly during that week.

I know you were looking for more positive stories but at least we're in it together!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we should regard news stories like this, IF they seem plausible, as a challenge. There are things we can do.

Is there any chance you can get your hands either on a Libre for a short time or on a CGM to borrow from surgery? I found the Libre wonderful for learning how to time insulin doses, getting basal right etc, and the result so far (fingers crossed guys) has been cutting out the spikes after meals. This is an easy way to lower HbA1c.

And once learnt, these lessons can be applied without the Libre/CGM.

Above all though, low carb seems to me to be the way to make BG / insulin dose management easier.

We need the tools to see what is going on in our individual case. But low carb decreases the range, and the erraticness, of the variables.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I have PCOS and T1 and my control is quite well (last a1c is 31mmol/mol - 5%). My hormones seems to have settled down after finding a proper pill. Maybe it'll useful to talk to your consultant, they are hormones doctors after all, so they may be able to help with the hormones acting out and help with your control around the period?
Hi PaulinaB, Well done, your Hba1c is fab. I use the Nexplanon implant, which seems to help me stay balanced all month. It seem to supress my cycle, so no periods! BONUS!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think we should regard news stories like this, IF they seem plausible, as a challenge. There are things we can do.

Is there any chance you can get your hands either on a Libre for a short time or on a CGM to borrow from surgery? I found the Libre wonderful for learning how to time insulin doses, getting basal right etc, and the result so far (fingers crossed guys) has been cutting out the spikes after meals. This is an easy way to lower HbA1c.

And once learnt, these lessons can be applied without the Libre/CGM.

Above all though, low carb seems to me to be the way to make BG / insulin dose management easier.

We need the tools to see what is going on in our individual case. But low carb decreases the range, and the erraticness, of the variables.

Would love to try a cgm but I'm in the wrong county - I asked my DSN last year and no chance, however have a new DSN now so will ask again.

Since diagnosis it has been a constant battle and only once in 3 years did I really achieve one continuous period of about 1 month of remaining below 9, then docs gave me the minera coil (which has since been removed) over 12 months ago and has continued to be a battle.

Again any positive stories from other ladies would be great to hear ;)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've got a success story at the moment. After 7 months struggling I've at last managed good control for the moment, by dint of Bernsteinian low-carbing combined with two weeks of an accurate Libre sensor (most weren't). This was a very useful learning device as it shows you when your QA starts to work and what is the best timing for you for QA and eating. This allowed me to avoid spikes - which was what was contributing to my HbA1c.

So at the moment I have good control, average BG 5.5, low variation 0.65, HbA1c 39 / 5.7.

OTOH I'm just starting out in this game. I'm still honeymooning and my insulin needs are going up; and real life messes things up.

Yes, our control really, really matters. But we ought to be able to do it. If we go back to basics with basal checking, look for patterns in our numbers, get as full records as we can. We have to do it. We want to live full, happy lives, don't we.

Lucy

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would love to try a cgm but I'm in the wrong county - I asked my DSN last year and no chance, however have a new DSN now so will ask again.

Since diagnosis it has been a constant battle and only once in 3 years did I really achieve one continuous period of about 1 month of remaining below 9, then docs gave me the minera coil (which has since been removed) over 12 months ago and has continued to be a battle.

Again any positive stories from other ladies would be great to hear ;)
I do sympathise with you Jucyj. Since my honeymoon ended, I have been pretty much the same as you. I am happy if I can just keep in single figures for most of the day.