How highly would you recommend eating low carb?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
This is the question and subject of this thread.
How highly would you recommend eating low carb

Firstly I rate the options then see where I the person fits in then I recommend low carb very highly or not so highly

This is my ratings for a diabetic T2 of average dedication/determination for “sustainability” (being able to stick with a diet for 1 year)

100 = Eat what you like and how much you like when-ever you like

60 = Low carb with extra veg 3 meals and snacks

15 = Low carb with high fat

If someone has lots of will power and no wont power then they should have meds prescribed and there is no point in recommending eating low carb.
So you made those figures up based on what?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
No I don't want to fight just finding it all a wee bit amusing.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crystal

My insulin requirements initially on the higher fat being added in actually went up for a while whilst my body got used to the more fat. As I eat low carb my body was used to the regime it had.....

Now my body is used to the fuel of fat my basals have completely stabilised back at my previous doses.

I think cutting the carbs may well lower basal requirements, but if you are having more fat and your body is not used to it, then that may balance out your insulin requirements. Some products loaded with carbs are also loaded with trans fats and fats.. So it is difficult to know what changes would make to your insulin requirements until you suck and see!!

The combo basal rates can be changed by 0.01 an hour, every hour of the day. I'm not sure whether the Insight will do this. Other pumps do not allow for 24 individual hourly rates to be set, and this for me has been absolutely fantastic to fine tune my requirements.

I too am getting my Insight in a couple months, providing the end of their testing trials and outcomes are all positive. I can't wait for mine....

crystal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sport, high heels, fatty food.
Crystal

My insulin requirements initially on the higher fat being added in actually went up for a while whilst my body got used to the more fat. As I eat low carb my body was used to the regime it had.....

Now my body is used to the fuel of fat my basals have completely stabilised back at my previous doses.

I think cutting the carbs may well lower basal requirements, but if you are having more fat and your body is not used to it, then that may balance out your insulin requirements. Some products loaded with carbs are also loaded with trans fats and fats.. So it is difficult to know what changes would make to your insulin requirements until you suck and see!!

The combo basal rates can be changed by 0.01 an hour, every hour of the day. I'm not sure whether the Insight will do this. Other pumps do not allow for 24 individual hourly rates to be set, and this for me has been absolutely fantastic to fine tune my requirements.

I too am getting my Insight in a couple months, providing the end of their testing trials and outcomes are all positive. I can't wait for mine....

crystal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sport, high heels, fatty food.
I was told that the Insight basal can only be changed by 0.05 units an hour, but that the pump can be set to switch off and on for alternative hours. My DSN thinks that will give me enough flexibility. I'm currently using an Animas, which only has 12 basal rate settings.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was wondering whether the basal unit sizing would be the same. Shame it's not. That gives me a few months to round up or round down my units each hour. However the combo currently does increments of 0.05 per hour when over 1 unit so It will take a bit of figuring when only 2 of my 24 hours slots are over 1 unit, and every hour is different!!
Thanks for the information...

D

Deleted member 83869

I always spike with porridge despite calculating the carbs and using a combo bolus. Did you bolus any insulin with the yogurt and blueberries?
I calculated it for 15g as it has a little bit of carbs but nothing too drastic! but yeah the pot of porridge said 37g I bolused for 38g! And still went bleeming high! Yoghurt and blueberries are my new bestfriend lol!!

Reactions: 8 people

kristella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know this is probably a silly question as it has quite an obvious answer!

I love my carbs. I love pasta, rice and potatoes. In the past, I've tried to take the right amount of insulin to cover this but it's so easy to get it wrong and misjudge it - it also means I can end up taking whopping amounts of insulin!

Would you recommend I reduce my carbs? It should make my diabetes easier to manage, yes?

(I'm also doing Slimming World so although I've read a little about LCHF, I'm not keen to start eating loads of 'fattier' foods!)
what the best things to do form my 2 years doughier she have diabetes tape 1 but the mmol is still Lou very often

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
I know this is probably a silly question as it has quite an obvious answer!

I love my carbs. I love pasta, rice and potatoes. In the past, I've tried to take the right amount of insulin to cover this but it's so easy to get it wrong and misjudge it - it also means I can end up taking whopping amounts of insulin!

Would you recommend I reduce my carbs? It should make my diabetes easier to manage, yes?

(I'm also doing Slimming World so although I've read a little about LCHF, I'm not keen to start eating loads of 'fattier' foods!)

Having lived with T1 for 59 years, I find that low carb is far better than high carbs. Have you tried sweet potato and cauliflower as a substitute for mash it takes a has a low glycemic index and is just as filling as potato, you can use spelt pastas instead of pastas. and mixing wild rice with normal rice is a whole lot better, give it a try, it is just as filling and far healthier

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having lived with T1 for 59 years, I find that low carb is far better than high carbs. Have you tried sweet potato and cauliflower as a substitute for mash it takes a has a low glycemic index and is just as filling as potato, you can use spelt pastas instead of pastas. and mixing wild rice with normal rice is a whole lot better, give it a try, it is just as filling and far healthier

Did you get a medal for 50 years? Did you have to pay for it?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's argument for high carb (but low GI) diet, the exact opposite of low carb.

K-ate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How highly would I recommend eating low carb?

Very very highly; a step ladder on top of Mount Everest highly...

As a Type 1 diabetic it was simply the best decision I ever made with regard to my diabetic control.

Best

Dillinger
Can I just ask why you feel so strongly about this? I've been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years; I'm on lantus and homolog and am trying to establish why I'm suddenly finding my control so hard to manage. I've looked at some really interesting threads on the unpredictability of lantus; however I've also noticed a lot of people talking about low carbs. I've also had a high fibre, low sugar diet and have not held back on carbs, finding them to be key to avoiding hypos. I do 20 lantus, and 6,8,6 units of homolog for meals. Do you do significantly less than this, and do you struggle with hypos? Really very interested to know. Thank you

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Really? Does it help stop hunger pangs? I honestly don't know much about this...
I haven't time to read all 11 pages but look at my stats!
Read www.dietdoctor.com
For me it was a revelation. You will see fat in a completely different light!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I just ask why you feel so strongly about this? I've been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years; I'm on lantus and homolog and am trying to establish why I'm suddenly finding my control so hard to manage. I've looked at some really interesting threads on the unpredictability of lantus; however I've also noticed a lot of people talking about low carbs. I've also had a high fibre, low sugar diet and have not held back on carbs, finding them to be key to avoiding hypos. I do 20 lantus, and 6,8,6 units of homolog for meals. Do you do significantly less than this, and do you struggle with hypos? Really very interested to know. Thank you
Hi @K-ate and welcome

You shouldn't suffer from hypos on low carb if you adjust your insulin levels. I'm currently on 9u of Tresiba (basal) and 9-10 units of Novorapid per day. My BG levels have never been better.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Average BG levels for the last 4 weeks

Average BG-28days.png

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
T1 and I don't eat any less carbs than I ever have and have very well maintained BG levels so wouldn't recommend it all really. Exercise is more important to me.
So if you've never tried it, how can you argue against it when they're is so much evidence which supports it. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum to support it. I am a case in point. My last hba1c was 34 which is non diabetic levels. Check out @robert72 bs level!