Footwear - what do you prefer?

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Sketchers Go Walk for me.I live in them.
Also UGG boots for the winter for outside,better without socks,my feet are never cold.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have palmoplantar pustulosis which means my soles (and palms) are covered in painful pustules which then dry leaving very sore peeling and splitting skin, so need dressings on all the time, and shoes that are roomy enough to take the dressings and also soft underfoot. I also have nail psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis in my toes so they can't be cramped!

I've found Cosyfeet are very comfy, have soft insoles, wide fitting with plenty of toe room. Some are not that fashionable but they do have a few pairs that are nice.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've wore Addidas 'samba' for about 30+ years. Really comfortable for me as they are wide for trainers. All leather and great for training on Astro turf.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks ..... I've just ordered some Sketchers! :)

I could never order shoes on line etc, I have to try them on. I hate new shoes.

A couple of years ago, we, husband and I had a weekend away wih friends. I had a new pair of shoes, I thought they were ok. Monday morning I notices my big toenail was blue / black. Luckily it healed ok.

I hate new shoes, my shoes only feel comfy when worn out.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I love the Mountain warehouse brand of trainers and walking boots.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, I have "great feet", according to the podiatrists I have seen since diagnosis.

When here, I wear flip-flops. I have some lightweight trainers for long walks and on my bike, and "posh" strappy sandals for evenings out, where required.

At home, for casual, I like Rhode boots and shoes, although I do have all sorts from scruffy to "posh". I don't do anything too high, as I'd simply be marooned where I stood. At a work function once, one of my direct reports took great pleasure in encouraging me to try her vertiginous heels, which looked great (and I suddenly understood what tall feels like!), but I couldn't move! She strode off wearing my LK Bennets........... I have no idea how folks van live in high heels all day every day.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Like you "andbreathe" I also been told I got brilliant diabetic feet!! I put it down to following the advice of always wearing flatish lace up shoes (except formal occasions), socks or tights, always wear something on my feet.

I got told when diagnosed that the only thing that keeps feet in high heel shoes of any description is the fact they are too small for your feet which makes them keep on your feet.

Mind you.. I did really want a pair of those platform shoes or wedges...but glad I resisted..

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Fortunately, I have "great feet", according to the podiatrists I have seen since diagnosis.

When here, I wear flip-flops. I have some lightweight trainers for long walks and on my bike, and "posh" strappy sandals for evenings out, where required.

At home, for casual, I like Rhode boots and shoes, although I do have all sorts from scruffy to "posh". I don't do anything too high, as I'd simply be marooned where I stood. At a work function once, one of my direct reports took great pleasure in encouraging me to try her vertiginous heels, which looked great (and I suddenly understood what tall feels like!), but I couldn't move! She strode off wearing my LK Bennets........... I have no idea how folks van live in high heels all day every day.
I can't do heels much anymore, due to dodgy knees.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another with perfect feet and toes. Never had any problems with corns, bunions, or other nasties, never have sore feet, and pass 100% on all my foot checks. I wear trainers all day as I said before, plus nice shoes for shopping or going out, but in summer I get my toes out and wear pretty strappy sandals. I put it down to Clarks shoes as a child, with my feet measured correctly by experts (in those green xray things they used to have).

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Even after 50 years on insulin 25 years living with feet in wellie boots for 12 hours a day, my feet are fine as well :)

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im really tall so never wear heels, thankfully im in the 'brilliant' feet category. I have about 500 pairs of converses. I love them. I dont know how good they are for diabetics. Hopefully very good!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Actually I sort of lied here.

When here my favoured footwear is bare feet. When I confessed this to the podiatrist, she said she should really chastise me, but in reality walking barefoot in the sand is both great exercise and natures exfoliant. She recommended I check for cuts or scrapes every evening after my shower and to just keep an eagle eye when I did have the odd minor injury.

That was advice I could accept unaltered.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Emu sheepskin boots (Nov-March)
And Birkenstocks (April-October)
And then DMs for dog walks (need the ankle support on rough ground)

They are not the most elegant, but my goodness they ARE the most comfortable.

I know we are not supposed to wear open toed shoes, but my Birkenstocks are the steel toecap of sandals, so I figure they make an excellent compromise.

Duchess_16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People Spitting, it is so disgusting and unhygienic. Mobile phones in restaurants especially in hotels at breakfast time.
I agree with B and others.
UGG, EMU, Skechers are all comfortable. I have had orthotics in my shoes for many years prior to my diagnosis and they don't work with fashionable shoes. I have always looked after my feet and massage them daily with a good thick foot cream (L'Occitane and Avon products excellent). Diabetic nurse was impressed at level of hydration upon my initial visit. I wasn't aware about open toe sandals issues but having 40 pairs of Birkenstocks (recommended by podiatrist) nothing will stop me wearing them. :)

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fitflop brand, love their boots, not so keen on their summer toe posts. Boots supremely comfortable and look good for smart/work. Their advertising slogan is caffeine for your feet and they may have a point!

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mentioned Hanwag earlier in the thread. Just to give anyone else reading this thread an idea of relative broadness, I've tried all the other makes mentioned here, and none of them are broad enough.

The only other make I stand a chance with is the Comfort range by Wolky

Denisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to wear heels all the time. For the last nearly two years I have nearly lived in my Nike Trail running shoes. They are light, water resistant and provide a lot of soft cushioning. They were even substantial enough for winter. I wear them with my skirts and dresses to work (I change to normal shoes once I am actually working, of course) as I walk over a mile each way.