Lantus to levemir

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going for an assessment at the end of March to see if I can get a pump. I'm the mean time though for the past 2ish months I've been going high in the evenings. I'll eat dinner test 2 hours later and it'll be a normal range then before bed its shot up high. Ive even tried to have a unit or 2 of fast acting at the post 2 hour test to stop it going up later but that didn't work. My nurse wants to change me to levemir and split the dose. But my day time numbers are really good at the moment so I'm worried it'll mess them up. Will I be on generally the same amount of units still? I did suggest waiting to see what happens with the pump but she said if I'm accepted then it'll be 3-4 months before starting it anyway and I'm getting abit fed up of having to set a 3am alarm to make sure my sugars have come down! Is levemir the best option for now?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I tried Levemir, I needed about 25% more than Lantus - but I started lower and worked my way up.

I am sure your nurse will advise you on dosage and adjustments.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this is a silly question but why is your nurse suggesting you switch to Levemir? Have you had problems with Lantus? If not, surely you can first try splitting the Lantus dose instead?

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this is a silly question but why is your nurse suggesting you switch to Levemir? Have you had problems with Lantus? If not, surely you can first try splitting the Lantus dose instead?

They generally advise a switch to Levemir because it has a shorter action time (anywhere between 12 to 22 hours depending on a person) and most people can split it thanks to it. Lantus has much longer action time (24 hours) which means it cannot be split by most people or they would risk overlapping the doses.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect PaulineB may be right. Also the latest NICE Diabetes Dec 2014 draft paper shows Levemir as the preferred insulin although it doesn't say why

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your DSN is right on the pump time-scale so your probably better changing basal insulin in the time being.

You could ask if they would change you to the new basal insulin called Tresiba, it's a lot more expensive than lantus and levemir but could just be in the short term if you get approval for the pump, anyway its worth asking as this insulin has a flatter and longer profile than the other two.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok maybe I am better to change then! Another worry is that at the moment I can just take my insulin as I go to bed as it usually around the same time. Whereas a split dose I'll have to take an extra injection at a set time each day as well as the bed time one. I've never had to inject at a specific time before :-(

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought you would of tried the Levemir before asking for a pump.............it might solve all your problems............;)..........unlikely....lol....

when I was on Levemir it was one a t breakfast and one at bedtime............the bedtime injection of course varied in time, but not by much.....taking at bed time allowed me to have as much working overnight as possible to tackle the dawn phenomenon....

I had to compensate with the lack of Levemir on the approach to bed with a higher dinner/supper insulin/carb ratio......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok maybe I am better to change then! Another worry is that at the moment I can just take my insulin as I go to bed as it usually around the same time. Whereas a split dose I'll have to take an extra injection at a set time each day as well as the bed time one. I've never had to inject at a specific time before :-(

Not if you get changed to Tresiba, it's injected once a day and lasts up to 42 hours.