Just had my second HbA1c result - can't quite believe it

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just received my second HbA1c test result and am still somewhat in shock, despite expecting a decent result:

I was diagnosed in November with an HbA1c of 107 (11.9%) and since then have been on a very, very strict LCHF (gradually reducing down to current level of < 20g carbs per day) regime which has seen my own readings drop to low values and I've also lost nearly 25kg at the same time.

So, I was expecting a decent HbA1c result, but not as good as I got: My current HbA1c is now 40 (5.8%) which, according to the Docs isn't just a good value for a diabetic, it's back down into the non-diabetic range!

Of course, there's always bad news with good news and my bad news is my cholesterol is up (total and LDL up, HDL down) which I think is caused by me eating too many saturated fats. The doc offered me Statins, but has agreed to give me 6 months to see if I can bring it down naturally (which I'm sure I can with a few tweaks to my diet).

Overall, I'm absolutely elated and quite emotional about the stunning HbA1c result and it does show that LCHF certainly works in bringing down Blood Sugar (at least for me :))

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Congratulations! Well done! The cholesterol numbers aren't likely related to your saturated fat intake. It may have more to do with the recent weight loss. Hopefully someone can post more info on this as I don't worry much about my cholesterol and don't know exactly how this works.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's a fantastic result Phil, well done :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is wonderful, hopefully in a few months your cholesterol will have settle down as well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations Phil, tremendous achievement and inspiring to others that may be struggling. Gold medal from me. :)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Bluetit1802 - it's all down to you and others like you who have been supportive and inspirational since i joined the forum. It's no exaggeration to say without this site I'd have been completely lost and certainly wouldn't be celebrating such a good HbA1c result.

If reading about my results can help or inspire anyone else then I will be absolutely delighted and will feel my membership has been (and will continue to be) worthwhile :)

Reactions: 8 people

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Brilliant Phil !
If you don't want statins - they played havoc with me :-( , then I can recommend garlic and benecol drink (dairy free). Both of these were recommended by doctors once they knew I was serious about not going back onto statins, and taken together they reduced my total cholesterol by 2% points.

I take them daily. I chop the garlic finely and drink it back with the benecol. As long as you don't chew the garlic you avoid the odorous effects.

Well done !

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nice result phil well done,,,,im lo carb since november and got my test comin up in april,,,hope its as gud as yours :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How excellent!

WELL DONE!

Your doc should have told you that cholesterol often rises with rapid, significant weight loss. Please don't assume that your fat intake is to blame unless your cholesterol stays raised several months after your weight loss has stopped.

Have you researched the effects of LCHF on cholesterol?
It is worth doing so, because there have been new discoveries about cholesterol that many docs don't seem to have heard about, where the total number is far less important than the triglycerides.

@jack412 has a fab video on this.
Well worth watching.
Sorry Jack, I still haven't managed to work out how to post videos onto this site, otherwise I would do it myself!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Phil, as one door closes another one opens, well done :)

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
disclosure..I'm on low dose statins for the vascular benefit..also my cholesterol is 3.2 and trigs 1.5 [still too high for me]

i didn't know what triglyceride was before i was diabetic..it's a steep learning curve..watch the both videos all the way through..then watch it again, you should have a better idea what it's all about ..stop video and google terminology you don't understand

losing 25kg will play havoc with your cholesterol...google will explain why the 'burnt' fat cells do this.
example.. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/06/i-lost-weight-and-my-cholesterol-went-up/

@Brunneria are these the ones you mean?
with LCHF....your trigs normally fall..your HDL normally rise..your LDL 50/50 rise or fall [if trigs under 1, LDL are mostly the better type]..total cholesterol can go up
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zoDsVimyw

Reactions: 5 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
What a great result. My first check after diagnosis will be in April and I'd love to hear such news. You should feel very proud of yourself.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic ! :D Well done you ! That is an amazing achievement !:D

I second what others have said about cholesterol and weight loss, you may well find that it's normalised by the time of your next check.

Signy