1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just had my second HbA1c result - can't quite believe it

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by phil1966, Feb 27, 2015.

1. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paul59

Paul59 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your a ★ well done. Pleased for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bravo2zero

Bravo2zero Type 2 · Active Member

Hi Phil that's fantastic I was diagnosed oct 14 Hb1 was 146 in February was 59, be greatefull for your diet details and what meds you take if any
    Well done
    Dave

• Like Like x 2
  4. mehhh2015

mehhh2015 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Brunneria, despite having read and understand all the current views on cholesterol. I'm still interested to hear about cases where cholesterol has been improved after low carbing, there seems to be some people that have managed it so I am very interested as my cholesterol is utterly high and I am not expecting great results on that front at mi first review... It doesn't bother me greatly but I know it will bother the GP and my nurse and I need them on my side for other reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Mine has improved. It is better now that when I was on statins 12 months ago (I stopped taking them)
    Trigs 0.58
    HDL 2.2
    LDL 3.0
    TC/HDL ratio 2.5
    Non-HDL 3.3
    Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

• Like Like x 3
  6. kimbo1962

kimbo1962 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent result Phil!! I agree with you that the advice and support here keeps us going! Hope you feel proud of your achievement :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. mehhh2015

mehhh2015 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh thats great to hear, even more coming from you as I truly respect your opinions and contributions in the forum!

I can't go on statins, and my cholesterol is very high to begin with. I need to bring it down somehow and there seems to be mixed results on different people.

How is your diet though? I don't remember seeing it... although I know we are all different, I am interested in learning from de different approaches both low carb or low calorie, it really doesn't matter to me. The general claim seems to be that low calorie is better from the cholesterol point of view..therefore wondering what can I expect from my tests.

8. Mud Island Dweller

Mud Island Dweller Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ignore the statins they are downright dangerous thats my feelings. yes cholesterol will go up and it is also linked with rapid weight loss NOT the fat part of your diet. In fact you only get about 11% chol. from food you eat the rest your body manufactures. Get the book "Grain Brain" from Dr Pearlmutter by the time you finish reading you will treat statins like the ultimate poison they are. Start hunting out info on cholesterol message me and l will send you some of that l have found..loads on over next few days and may forget if a little flag isnt there to remind me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Thank you.

I started testing and low carbing last April, combined with calorie counting, and brought my carbs down gradually rather than cold turkey. Currently on up to 50g. I increased my fats and kept normal protein, aiming for 1200 calories. I lost all my weight at about 1 to 2lbs a week, no plateaux. Then I struggled to stop losing, so up went my fats. Still lost an odd pound here and there, so up went my fats again (plus an extra glass or 2 of red wine ;)). It has taken me from October to now to stabilise and I am half a stone lighter than I would want. (Still normal BMI though) I really upped my fats to gain extra calories and must admit I was worried when I had my review at the start of December that my cholesterol would have gone up. Delighted to report, it was even better than the previous review, so the increased calories from fats have done no damage, only good. I have only been able to do it by carb counting and calorie counting, and finding the right balance of carbs/fats/protein/fibre. I do eat loads and loads of oily fish though.

• Like Like x 4
  10. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks and well done on your reduction too :)

Medication wise, I'm on 2 x Metformin 500 a day (normal ones - I haven't suffered any digestion issues with them)

Diet wise, I'm on a very low carb diet (around 20g a day):

20g sounds low, but it's easy to do when you get used to it :)

For example, the following is an example of a low carb day for me (I log everything in MyFitnessPal so it's easy to keep track!)

Breakfast
    Bacon, Egg and Mushrooms

1g Carbs

Lunch
    Chicken salad (lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, spring onions, grated cheese and mayo)
    Sugar free jelly with double cream

6g Carbs

Dinner
    Gammon and egg with mushrooms and green beans

4g carbs

Snacks / Drinks

Black Coffee
    No added sugar squash
    Cheesestring (for calcium)

1g carbs

Total for day: 12g Carbs

• Like Like x 6
  11. zazoopits

zazoopits Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Very well done phil. Can I ask do you do any exercise?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook