Status
Not open for further replies.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
2 slices of mic flax bread toasted with butter...
Salt beef with hot horseradish folded over and popped in whole :) ; 2 slices mic bread with lactose-free cream cheese, salami and ruby cos lettuce on top; hot hot-smoked salmon, lemon and dill mousse on ruby cos, water and espresso with dash of lactose-free cream....
Snack - salad with avocado
Tonight will be stir-fry with flash-fried sliced fillet steak and loads of veg... raspberries and cream or CoYo... and a glass of red wine I imagine...

S

Sable_Jan

so far
Breakfast: my cereal mix (now with coconut powder) made into porridge with soya milk but tried an addition today - spoonful of almond butter - tasted great and sooooo very satisfying. Alas it does not taste very almondy off the spoon as I'd expected but strangely a little moreso in the breakfast
Dinner: mushroom, tomato, cheese omelette on a bed of shredded lettuce
Tea: not quite sure yet thought of doing some chick peas in a peanut butter sauce but don't know what to have with them.... not tried making it before but I've had chickpeas in a frittata that I fried in with the bacon and they tasted sort of peanutty so thought if I fried them off in peanut butter then added a bit of cream or soya milk to them it would make a nice sauce.

For pudding I think i will have the rest of my sugarfree jelly with alpro soya yoghurt and squirty cream..... in an individual glass it should be rather like a trifle - the cream and jelly go well together and the Alpro plain yoghurt is vanilla tasting and like a thin custard.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, @Kezzer4321 , good to see you!

Did you ever make that stracciatella cake? I can't remember...
Ok just put my stracciatella cake in the oven. I used orange essences. Keep your fingers crossed it turns out okay. I will report back later on whether it turns out okay - it smells lovely

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok just put my stracciatella cake in the oven. I used orange essences. Keep your fingers crossed it turns out okay. I will report back later on whether it turns out okay - it smells lovely

Did you taste the raw mix? It is just like melted icecream...

Reactions: 4 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe the two lots of chocolate in the day or the sausages - I found the same last week despite said sausages only supposed to have had erm 4gms of carbs per sausage. Oh, ae packet mix say 4g carbs per 100g "as made up"/prepared I've found that on a few packets lately....:(

Yes went to the shop today to have a look, was 60g carbs per 100g dried powder, the pack was 40g which = 24g carbs and I had half so 12g. Add that to the sausages and thats probably why, im ok with sausages with just veg and would probably be ok with the casserole mix with chicken. First time ever as well I've had two lots of choc in a day. Still you live and learn! Been a really good week other than that reading. ;) x

S

Sable_Jan

Yes went to the shop today to have a look, was 60g carbs per 100g dried powder, the pack was 40g which = 24g carbs and I had half so 12g. Add that to the sausages and thats probably why, im ok with sausages with just veg and would probably be ok with the casserole mix with chicken. First time ever as well I've had two lots of choc in a day. Still you live and learn! Been a really good week other than that reading. ;) x
Well at least you know why. Wasn't too bad considering the extra carbs :);)

Reactions: 6 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Fried eggs and bacon. Bg post 2h 5.9.
L. 2 lamb burgers in lettuce wraps. Bg post 2h 5.7.
D. Tandoori chicken mini fillets, curried veg, salad and cauliflower bhaji. Bg post 2h 5.9

:D:hilarious::D just having a coffee n cream :)

Edit....seemed almost too good to be true so just checked another finger and bg 6.7 :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

B. Fried eggs and bacon. Bg post 2h 5.9.
L. 2 lamb burgers in lettuce wraps. Bg post 2h 5.7.
D. Tandoori chicken mini fillets, curried veg, salad and cauliflower bhaji. Bg post 2h 5.9

:D:hilarious::D just having a coffee n cream :)

Edit....seemed almost too good to be true so just checked another finger and bg 6.7 :cool:
That's just variance ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - 2 x bacon, poached egg, 6 mushrooms
L - mini pepperoni crustless quiche and mini bag of pork scratchings
S - slice of stracciatella Cake yummy yummy
D - meat pizza

Later I will have another slice of stracciatella cake

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

I've made 3 of those cakes. My fave was the vanilla with grated choc. The other two were lemon or orange, no choc, so Mr B would eat them.

Any ideas on what I could add to replace the choc? Dried fruit is out (for obvious carby reasons), and I don't think it needs more nuts...

Reactions: 3 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking that I might try adding coconut next time. I'm not much of a cook to be honest before I came here I was a microwave dinner person. But this cake was so simple and easy to make. My house mate wants me to make one with cherries and lemon juice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

I've been thinking, and maybe I could add cranberries, so long as they are sugarfree (they are often dusted with sugar :(). But they would sink.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you chopped them up - this should stop them from sinking to the bottom.

Reactions: 3 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
so far
Breakfast: my cereal mix (now with coconut powder) made into porridge with soya milk but tried an addition today - spoonful of almond butter - tasted great and sooooo very satisfying. Alas it does not taste very almondy off the spoon as I'd expected but strangely a little moreso in the breakfast
Dinner: mushroom, tomato, cheese omelette on a bed of shredded lettuce
Tea: not quite sure yet thought of doing some chick peas in a peanut butter sauce but don't know what to have with them.... not tried making it before but I've had chickpeas in a frittata that I fried in with the bacon and they tasted sort of peanutty so thought if I fried them off in peanut butter then added a bit of cream or soya milk to them it would make a nice sauce.

For pudding I think i will have the rest of my sugarfree jelly with alpro soya yoghurt and squirty cream..... in an individual glass it should be rather like a trifle - the cream and jelly go well together and the Alpro plain yoghurt is vanilla tasting and like a thin custard.....
I like the idea of your 'trifle'... :) Can't do soy but I can sub with other stuff... nice...

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
So I've been up and down, side to side and really depressed with the whole diabetes situation of late, I really hate being on insulin! I watched a video by Jason Fung and probably not right for me to, but have decided to try and stop insulin, I think I should reduce first but what the heck.
Yesterday no insulin in morning
B 5 mushrooms and 6 cherry tomatoes in coconut oil (8.8 pre, 7.1 post)
L prawn and green veg stir fry (5.6 pre, 6.0 post)
Cup of Bovril & plenty of water
At about 4pm started getting a banging headache, did some chores after work and headache increased, tested at 6pm as felt shaky 4.7
D same as lunch and 2 sq. 70% choc (2hr post 8.3) headache subsided but still in background.
Before bed at 11:00 was at 7.9, awoke at 01:30 with bad head, nausea feeling and tight chest, tested and was 8.0, went downstairs and had small bowl of shreddies, 30 mins later my head cleared completely so back off to sleep (wonder if lack of carbs was cause of head etc..? )
Today fbg 8.7 (generally same as when I have insulin)
B same as yesterday (2 hr post 7.4)
L bacon sandwich on 2 slices of livlife piece of cheese (pre 6.1 post 7.9)
Afternoons chores, cutting grass and cleaning BBQ now the sun is back
D rump steak 2 sausages (black farmers) and 3 mushrooms all done on newly cleaned bbq, steak was lovely! small salad with it, pudding was the wife's attempt at homemade coconut ice cream (no sugar or eggs) tastes like frozen coconut ice ( she is doing okay, but tried going back to work last night and came home halfway through shift in tears, her mouth stopped working properly, poor thing) anyway ( pre 7.1 post tbc no insulin taken)
I'm still on my metformin but bored of eating at set times with insulin so thought I'd try this experiment, foolish thinking or worth seeing what my body does ??

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:D

I've made 3 of those cakes. My fave was the vanilla with grated choc. The other two were lemon or orange, no choc, so Mr B would eat them.

Any ideas on what I could add to replace the choc? Dried fruit is out (for obvious carby reasons), and I don't think it needs more nuts...
Hmmmm...... my son said pineapple... I said, no, sugar.. but then I thought of how little would be in each slice... would it be too 'wet' do you think?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you!

I've been thinking, and maybe I could add cranberries, so long as they are sugarfree (they are often dusted with sugar :(). But they would sink.
Roll them in coconut flour first.... cherries is good - no glace though, thinking about it...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm.

Pineapple may be my favourite fruit.
How about the shredded tinned stuff - very well drained (it's going to be cooked, anyway...)

Reactions: 5 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So I've been up and down, side to side and really depressed with the whole diabetes situation of late, I really hate being on insulin! I watched a video by Jason Fung and probably not right for me to, but have decided to try and stop insulin, I think I should reduce first but what the heck.
Yesterday no insulin in morning
B 5 mushrooms and 6 cherry tomatoes in coconut oil (8.8 pre, 7.1 post)
L prawn and green veg stir fry (5.6 pre, 6.0 post)
Cup of Bovril & plenty of water
At about 4pm started getting a banging headache, did some chores after work and headache increased, tested at 6pm as felt shaky 4.7
D same as lunch and 2 sq. 70% choc (2hr post 8.3) headache subsided but still in background.
Before bed at 11:00 was at 7.9, awoke at 01:30 with bad head, nausea feeling and tight chest, tested and was 8.0, went downstairs and had small bowl of shreddies, 30 mins later my head cleared completely so back off to sleep (wonder if lack of carbs was cause of head etc..? )
Today fbg 8.7 (generally same as when I have insulin)
B same as yesterday (2 hr post 7.4)
L bacon sandwich on 2 slices of livlife piece of cheese (pre 6.1 post 7.9)
Afternoons chores, cutting grass and cleaning BBQ now the sun is back
D rump steak 2 sausages (black farmers) and 3 mushrooms all done on newly cleaned bbq, steak was lovely! small salad with it, pudding was the wife's attempt at homemade coconut ice cream (no sugar or eggs) tastes like frozen coconut ice ( she is doing okay, but tried going back to work last night and came home halfway through shift in tears, her mouth stopped working properly, poor thing) anyway ( pre 7.1 post tbc no insulin taken)
I'm still on my metformin but bored of eating at set times with insulin so thought I'd try this experiment, foolish thinking or worth seeing what my body does ??
Wow... that was scary then? :) It looks as though you are doing ok, but you are right to keep testing and testing of course... only you know how your body is reacting... I applaud your courage... your numbers look good and you know how to deal with a hypo... fingers cross for you WS... why don't you make your ice-cream with eggs and cream and sweeteners? You can blitz peeled, frozen banana in the blender and it's just like ice-cream - but you cannot eat much of course... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.