Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
weird one today.

B: bacon and eggs and latte

L: carvery, where for some reason I went CARB MAD. Mash, roasties, yorkie pud, mashed swede, peas, gravy. Water to drink.

It was bizarre. I just watched myself pile the carbs onto the plate and sit down and eat. Wasn't hungry. Wasnt angry. Wasnt stressed or PMT or hypoing, just a bit tired from only 5 hrs sleep last night.
Enjoyed it very much.
Came home, tested blood. 7.8 at one hour, 7.5 at 2 hours, had a little snooze on couch, 5.4 at 4 hours. And it wasn't a carb stupor, either. Just a perfectly normal sunday afternoon set of extra zzzzzs.

Can someone please tell me what just happened?

D: will have to be zero carbs. maybe cheese.

I wonder if/when the cravings will strike.

Reactions: 11 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
weird one today.

L: carvery, where for some reason I went CARB MAD. Mash, roasties, yorkie pud, mashed swede, peas, gravy. Water to drink.

It was bizarre. I just watched myself pile the carbs onto the plate and sit down and eat. Wasn't hungry. Wasnt angry. Wasnt stressed or PMT or hypoing, just a bit tired from only 5 hrs sleep last night.
Enjoyed it very much.
Came home, tested blood. 7.8 at one hour, 7.5 at 2 hours, had a little snooze on couch, 5.4 at 4 hours. And it wasn't a carb stupor, either. Just a perfectly normal sunday afternoon set of extra zzzzzs.

Just make sure you drink lots of water and have plenty of fat. Maybe the diabetic gods have looked kindly on you today. X

Reactions: 10 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - My usual Greek yoghurt, frozen berries, flaxseed and flaked almonds. Coffee with cream and coconut oil. BS+2 = 5.4
L - Cheddar cheese wrapped in chicory leaves. Home-stewed unsweetened rhubarb and cream. BS+2 = 5.7
D - Green Thai curry (no rice) with mushrooms, green peppers and cashews on a bed or chicory leaves with fennel and blood orange salad. 1 square of Lindt 90% choc BS+2 = 6.2

Slimline tonic

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

weird one today.

Enjoyed it very much.

What happened? You got away with it :hilarious:

Reactions: 6 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
8.4 B 4 mushrooms, 4 streaky bacon & 2 fried eggs all in coconut oil - post 6.1

6.0 L 3 sausages, burger few fried onions bit of salad , 4 raspberries 3 strawberries with dollop of clotted cream - post 7.8
snack of few pumpkin, sunflower & almonds
7.2 D som tam, few more berries & cream - post tbc
3 cups of green tea and lots of water
BG always higher at weekends as not as active as when at work so looking forward to next weeks results

S

Sable_Jan

Breakfast: My mixed cereal porridge with soya milk and good spoonful of peanut butter - :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: less than 1.00 rise
Dinner: Broccoli and blue cheese risotto (same as yesterdays tea) with feta cheese - rise of under 1.00 again
Tea: 3 slices fried luncheon meat, 3 fried tomatoes and mushrooms fried in butter - still to test but just eaten 2 more pieces of the luncheon meat
Snack - 2 sugarfree digestives :hungry:

Reactions: 4 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the spirit of scientific research ( :wideyed:) today I had an amazing sunday roast for brunch consisting of:

teriyaki salmon for starters
crackers with taramasalata
bread with butter
beef, wine jus, potatoes, kale, cauliflower cheese, yorkshire pudding
custard tart with ice cream
one glass of champagne and a glass of red wine

BG's after 1 hour: 9.4
BG's after 2 hours 6.5
BG's after 4 hours 4.8

No, the spike ain't good at all, I know, but after last week's pizza I wanted to see how bad could this possibly be. People calls this "reversal" I call it increased insulin sensitivity with impaired first insulin response... chuffed anyway of not going up to double figures. Back to the straight an narrow tomorrow. :D

S

Sable_Jan

In the spirit of scientific research ( :wideyed:) today I had an amazing sunday roast for brunch consisting of:

teriyaki salmon for starters
crackers with taramasalata
bread with butter
beef, wine jus, potatoes, kale, cauliflower cheese, yorkshire pudding
custard tart with ice cream
one glass of champagne and a glass of red wine

BG's after 1 hour: 9.4
BG's after 2 hours 6.5
BG's after 4 hours 4.8

No, the spike ain't good at all, I know, but after last week's pizza I wanted to see how bad could this possibly be. People calls this "reversal" I call it increased insulin sensitivity with impaired first insulin response... chuffed anyway of not going up to double figures. Back to the straight an narrow tomorrow. :D
Well if we don't test the boundaries now and again how can we know where they are ;)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - 2 x bacon, poached egg, grilled tomatoe & mushrooms
L - roast lamb, roast potatoes, spring greens and onion sauce
D - left over meat pizza with sour cream, a slice of cake and pork scratchings

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
weird one today.

Enjoyed it very much.

Gosh. Sort of awed. Don't know if I dare try that. Still a bit obsessed with trying to reverse complications.

But yes, you did get away with it, if it hasn't screwed your baseline levels up.

Woo-hoo !!

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

Gosh. Sort of awed. Don't know if I dare try that. Still a bit obsessed with trying to reverse complications.

But yes, you did get away with it, if it hasn't screwed your baseline levels up.

Woo-hoo !!
I'd say that would be a wise move on your part ;)

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Slice of Almond and Cheese bread with left over grilled haloumi from last night
Snack: Coffee with cream
Lunch: Crustless Quiche with spinach, red pepper, asparagus and feta cheese. Strawberries and greek yogurt
Dinner: Sort of fish pie - cod and smoked haddock in cream cheese sauce with sweet potato mash, and runner beans.

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

Breakfast: Slice of Almond and Cheese bread with left over grilled haloumi from last night
Snack: Coffee with cream
Lunch: Crustless Quiche with spinach, red pepper, asparagus and feta cheese. Strawberries and greek yogurt
Dinner: Sort of fish pie - cod and smoked haddock in cream cheese sauce with sweet potato mash, and runner beans.

Tested at 1 and 2 hrs and didn't go over 6.0 all day :)
The almond and cheese bread sounds nice, how do you make it please?

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a recipe by Deejay on this thread - I'll look back for it. It's simple though - ground almonds, baking powder, eggs and grated cheese. Very quick and easy, and delicious!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't find the original post, but I copied the recipe -

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz (300g) ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs (155g) grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

It's the first time I've had something to spread butter on since Christmas, I was a very happy bunny yesterday!

S

Sable_Jan

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

It's the first time I've had something to spread butter on since Christmas, I was a very happy bunny yesterday!
Thank you. It does sound nice. Have you tried cauliflower bread?

Cauliflower Bread:
1 cauliflower - put it in the blender with a clove of garlic
mix in 2-3 eggs, 100grammes grated cheese or parmesan, pinch of oregano & basil
turn out onto baking tray lined with greaseproof paper (pat down & shape)
cook in oven 40mins @170C (325F)
turn over (turn out onto another baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, removing the original greaseproof paper)
cook for a further 20 mins
remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack
simples!
excellent as a pizza base 

Someone else gave me this recipe. I used a food processor - eventually - I packed the blender too full (instead of blending bit by bit) and it wouldn't go down so ended up tipping into the food processor. I likes this warm with added feta cheese. Had half in one go. The following day I fried it to reheat and it was lovely with fried eggs

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
3 beaten eggs

Bake at 180º 50mins

I've ordered some ground almonds so will try this when they arrive. I wonders what it would be like with coconut flour

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've ordered some ground almonds so will try this when they arrive. I wonders what it would be like with coconut flour
I haven't got the hang of coconut flour yet. It needs more liquid than the other alternative flours. The coconut taste is very persistent but obviously there's a knack.

Status
Not open for further replies.