What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

:D

I've made 3 of those cakes. My fave was the vanilla with grated choc. The other two were lemon or orange, no choc, so Mr B would eat them.

Any ideas on what I could add to replace the choc? Dried fruit is out (for obvious carby reasons), and I don't think it needs more nuts...
Chia seeds? Or does it have them in? Recipe on my lappy. How about caraway seeds? Love those in cake

Reactions: 3 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hmm.

Pineapple may be my favourite fruit.
How about the shredded tinned stuff - very well drained (it's going to be cooked, anyway...)
My son says.. not done in syrup though... :) He's looking out for you.... he says fresh may be less 'wet'... He and his wife cook a lot together so he's quite au fait with it all... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Chia seeds? Or does it have them in? Recipe on my lappy. How about caraway seeds? Love those in cake
Caraway sounds lovely... forgot about them unless I'm making curry paste... how odd... old-fashioned seed-cake... brilliant... chia will need to have extra liquid in of course... shelled hemp seeds are really lush - I put them in my bread every morning.. they would give texture and flavour too... what good ideas.... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crumbs, I'm rambling again... :sorry:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've been up and down, side to side and really depressed with the whole diabetes situation of late, I really hate being on insulin! I watched a video by Jason Fung and probably not right for me to, but have decided to try and stop insulin, I think I should reduce first but what the heck.
Yesterday no insulin in morning
B 5 mushrooms and 6 cherry tomatoes in coconut oil (8.8 pre, 7.1 post)
L prawn and green veg stir fry (5.6 pre, 6.0 post)
Cup of Bovril & plenty of water
At about 4pm started getting a banging headache, did some chores after work and headache increased, tested at 6pm as felt shaky 4.7
D same as lunch and 2 sq. 70% choc (2hr post 8.3) headache subsided but still in background.
Before bed at 11:00 was at 7.9, awoke at 01:30 with bad head, nausea feeling and tight chest, tested and was 8.0, went downstairs and had small bowl of shreddies, 30 mins later my head cleared completely so back off to sleep (wonder if lack of carbs was cause of head etc..? )
Today fbg 8.7 (generally same as when I have insulin)
B same as yesterday (2 hr post 7.4)
L bacon sandwich on 2 slices of livlife piece of cheese (pre 6.1 post 7.9)
Afternoons chores, cutting grass and cleaning BBQ now the sun is back
D rump steak 2 sausages (black farmers) and 3 mushrooms all done on newly cleaned bbq, steak was lovely! small salad with it, pudding was the wife's attempt at homemade coconut ice cream (no sugar or eggs) tastes like frozen coconut ice ( she is doing okay, but tried going back to work last night and came home halfway through shift in tears, her mouth stopped working properly, poor thing) anyway ( pre 7.1 post tbc no insulin taken)
I'm still on my metformin but bored of eating at set times with insulin so thought I'd try this experiment, foolish thinking or worth seeing what my body does ??

Oh Weirdy! PLEASE be careful.

I can't get my head round someone just deciding to stop insulin. It could go so horribly wrong.

But at least you are testing.

Thinking of you and the missus.

X

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

So I've been up and down, side to side and really depressed with the whole diabetes situation of late, I really hate being on insulin! I watched a video by Jason Fung and probably not right for me to, but have decided to try and stop insulin, I think I should reduce first but what the heck.
Yesterday no insulin in morning
B 5 mushrooms and 6 cherry tomatoes in coconut oil (8.8 pre, 7.1 post)
L prawn and green veg stir fry (5.6 pre, 6.0 post)
Cup of Bovril & plenty of water
At about 4pm started getting a banging headache, did some chores after work and headache increased, tested at 6pm as felt shaky 4.7
D same as lunch and 2 sq. 70% choc (2hr post 8.3) headache subsided but still in background.
Before bed at 11:00 was at 7.9, awoke at 01:30 with bad head, nausea feeling and tight chest, tested and was 8.0, went downstairs and had small bowl of shreddies, 30 mins later my head cleared completely so back off to sleep (wonder if lack of carbs was cause of head etc..? )
Today fbg 8.7 (generally same as when I have insulin)
B same as yesterday (2 hr post 7.4)
L bacon sandwich on 2 slices of livlife piece of cheese (pre 6.1 post 7.9)
Afternoons chores, cutting grass and cleaning BBQ now the sun is back
D rump steak 2 sausages (black farmers) and 3 mushrooms all done on newly cleaned bbq, steak was lovely! small salad with it, pudding was the wife's attempt at homemade coconut ice cream (no sugar or eggs) tastes like frozen coconut ice ( she is doing okay, but tried going back to work last night and came home halfway through shift in tears, her mouth stopped working properly, poor thing) anyway ( pre 7.1 post tbc no insulin taken)
I'm still on my metformin but bored of eating at set times with insulin so thought I'd try this experiment, foolish thinking or worth seeing what my body does ??
Take care........
Your poor wife.....is it nerve damage from the op? Hope it soon comes back to full working order.

How come no eggs in the ice cream? Can you not eat them. Does cream freeze OK? Maybe you could do a mix of coconut and cream - its one thing I've never tried other than packet mixes. I found I can get away with a small portion of the angel delight one if I use soya milk and a nice chic version mixing cocoa powder in it

Reactions: 6 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Take care........
Your poor wife.....is it nerve damage from the op? Hope it soon comes back to full working order.

Yes slightly, mouth goes a bit skewiff after a while talking too much, she's taking another week off work to recuperate more.

How come no eggs in the ice cream? Can you not eat them. Does cream freeze OK? Don't know she made it not me :)

Reactions: 3 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure what to have for breakfast today. As the last 2 mornings
I've had eggs bacon and mushrooms. But after about an hour
My lips start to tingle and I get a headache. :(

S

Sable_Jan

Sounds like an allergy/sensitivity to something in your breakfast...have you normally been able to eat them? What oil did you use for frying? Very salty bacon? Though I guess that would explain the lips, probs not the headache tho..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your bg after brekkie? Could you be having a hypo?

Reactions: 4 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not saying what I had to eat yesterday, ended up binging on all sorts of nasty stuff, and made myself ill, carbs are a menace :-( Must get back on the wagon again, starting today. The good news is I have started Forxiga so hopefully that will help with my weight issue. So far have had 2 coffees with cream

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like an allergy/sensitivity to something in your breakfast...have you normally been able to eat them? What oil did you use for frying? Very salty bacon? Though u guess that would explain the lips, probs not the headache tho..

I always grill my bacon and its unsmoked.
I used butter to fry my mushrooms. And olive
Oil for my eggs.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's your bg after brekkie? Could you be having a hypo?
I know that once I had a dextrose tablet I felt OK.
I've gone from having a very high carb diet, to a low one.
I' m OK after tea its just seems to be after breakfast.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that once I had a dextrose tablet I felt OK.
I've gone from having a very high carb diet, to a low one.
I' m OK after tea its just seems to be after breakfast.

If you didn't test when you felt "off", you really need to, or your just guessing.

If you have been running high, before modifying your diet, you could be having a "false" hypo (or a "real" one of course). A false hypo is when you have hypo-like symptoms, but your bloods are absolutely fine. It's your body's way of pointing out you're lower than usual, and requesting more carb to boost the numbers back to where you have been running. In our shoes, that's counter productive. If you are having a false hypo, then perhaps have a cup of tea, with a little milk, to give your system something to work on, but taking a glucose tablet is just potentially extending the problem. Your body wants to hang onto the levels it has been comfortable operating at for a while. For our health, we need to get away from those higher levels.

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

Not saying what I had to eat yesterday, ended up binging on all sorts of nasty stuff, and made myself ill, carbs are a menace :-( Must get back on the wagon again, starting today. The good news is I have started Forxiga so hopefully that will help with my weight issue. So far have had 2 coffees with cream

Well done :joyful: - you've ":singing:picked yourself up, dusted yourself off, and starting all over again...........:singing:."

I'm sure we ALL have binge days - I know I do..... - record it, forget it, move on.....:)

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sable_Jan

If you didn't test when you felt "off", you really need to, or your just guessing.

If you have been running high, before modifying your diet, you could be having a "false" hypo (or a "real" one of course). A false hypo is when you have hypo-like symptoms, but your bloods are absolutely fine. It's your body's way of pointing out you're lower than usual, and requesting more carb to boost the numbers back to where you have been running. In our shoes, that's counter productive. If you are having a false hypo, then perhaps have a cup of tea, with a little milk, to give your system something to work on, but taking a glucose tablet is just potentially extending the problem. Your body wants to hang onto the levels it has been comfortable operating at for a while. For our health, we need to get away from those higher levels.
Thanks for that cos it has explained something for me too. I'm not even classed as being in the pre-diabetic range anymore since my last HbA1c but sometimes I've felt rough (similar to what some of you have mentioned for hypos - tested my bs and its only been low 5s, not even 4s) and it has usually happened if I've had a couple of higher carb days then cut back to my lower ones) I'd not heard of a false hypo before

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that cos it has explained something for me too. I'm not even classed as being in the pre-diabetic range anymore since my last HbA1c but sometimes I've felt rough (similar to what some of you have mentioned for hypos - tested my bs and its only been low 5s, not even 4s) and it has usually happened if I've had a couple of higher carb days then cut back to my lower ones) I'd not heard of a false hypo before
It's a phenomenon often written about on this website.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast bacon poached egg spelt toast
lunch tuna crunch salad
snacks peanuts and chocolate ( too much of both)
dinner 97% sausages, bacon, black pudding , mushrooms and thin slice spelt toast with poached egg

Not best food choices but using stuff up before big shop on Tuesday

Reactions: 9 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Fried eggs and bacon. Bg post 2h 6.4
D. Roast chicken, swede and cauli mash, peas and carrots. A bit of double cream over my chicken to stop me having some gravy that was lookjng imploringly at me :shy: even though It knows it spikes me terribly :facepalm:. small bar of 85% choc. Bg post 2h 6.7 :) always struggle with wanting carbs on sundays, need to keep busier.

Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.