LCHF one week and amazing progress

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Hubby has now been on lchf diet for a week and blood glucose around 7 from 15+ before. The best bit is that he is enjoying the diet, doesn't feel hungry at all and for me the most amazing change is that he has now taken a big interest in the carb values when at the supermarket. He has never in our 32 years together shown any interest in either food shopping or what he was eating!

He was so tired and quite low in mood with aches and pain in his legs. He is now feeling so much better and has lots more energy and enthusiasm for doing things. He has ordered some b12 tablets too as it is probably still very low. Was 210 a year ago and that was just before he started taking metformin.

Thanks for all the great advice on here. It has made such a difference and as he feels so much better and not hungry he says he has no worries about lchf diet as a positive long term way of eating.

Reactions: 25 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another satisfied customer *tick*
Very good news. So encouraging when it works.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what we like to hear! Well done - to both of you. :)

Robbity

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also surprised how well and how much variety you can eat! I love it.
Keep up the good work and enjoy :) well done

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's really great to hear @xirles , very pleased for you both.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news, & his interest in food now is most likely cause he has to be involved which is a good thing.
Well done both.

G

graj0

Hi all,
Hubby has now been on lchf diet for a week and blood glucose around 7 from 15+ before. The best bit is that he is enjoying the diet, doesn't feel hungry at all and for me the most amazing change is that he has now taken a big interest in the carb values when at the supermarket. He has never in our 32 years together shown any interest in either food shopping or what he was eating!
That's really good to hear, great news!

EUGENESEFA

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SMOKING
Congrats woman, hope all partners help and encourage the other as u.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The force is strong in your husband.

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I would post an update, it's now one month since starting LCHF diet. The great news is that BS has stayed down at around 6.8 to max of 7.5 and hubby looks and says he feels so much better, not tired anymore and certainly not hungry either. He is now enjoying his mountain walking again (had stopped as was so tired) and still taking interest in carb info at the supermarket (can't get him to start cooking though....not a surprise:))

Once again, thanks for all the great advice and information, the high fat part of the diet has worked great for him as he really didn't want to lose much weight as he did when on a "strict diet" for a while immediately following diagnosis 5 years ago.

Just wish he could find a solution to the leg cramps that he has when out walking (up hill the issue, a problem as mountains tend to be "uphill"). This has been ongoing since soon after starting on statins about three years or so ago.....mentions it at review every year but no advice forthcoming or even much interest to be honest, except to increase simvastatin from 20 - 40mg a couple of years ago!!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi all,

He was so tired and quite low in mood with aches and pain in his legs. He is now feeling so much better and has lots more energy and enthusiasm for doing things. He has ordered some b12 tablets too as it is probably still very low. Was 210 a year ago and that was just before he started taking metformin.

Thanks for all the great advice on here. It has made such a difference and as he feels so much better and not hungry he says he has no worries about lchf diet as a positive long term way of eating.
That is so encouraging,great start,spread the joy::))

Miilanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does he still need the statins? Often the LCHF diet improves the cholesterol profile, and statins have such nasty side effects. Maybe the doc will be willing to d/c them?

Be sure that hubby has enough electrolytes. I understand that sometimes the sodium and potassium can get out of balance and cause cramping.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on the forum have had serious issues with statins - there was a huge thread and poll on this topic about a year ago - so this is definitely something to investigate.

I was just about to post re potassium too - years ago I was on diuretics and got very bad cramps in my calves and used to eat bananas as a source of replacement potassium, which are a no-no for me now sugar-wise. You can lose more fluid too when low carbing, and I've occasionally had very bad cramps again from this. My husband uses a low salt salt(!!) which is supplemented with potassium, and I've used that a few times when they've been bad. So extra potassium may be worth a try too.

Rbbity

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Many people on the forum have had serious issues with statins - there was a huge thread and poll on this topic about a year ago - so this is definitely something to investigate.

They are banned from where I sit. Period. Hate them. But that is me.

Reactions: 4 people

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thought I would post an update, it's now one month since starting LCHF diet. The great news is that BS has stayed down at around 6.8 to max of 7.5 and hubby looks and says he feels so much better, not tired anymore and certainly not hungry either. He is now enjoying his mountain walking again (had stopped as was so tired) and still taking interest in carb info at the supermarket (can't get him to start cooking though....not a surprise:))

Once again, thanks for all the great advice and information, the high fat part of the diet has worked great for him as he really didn't want to lose much weight as he did when on a "strict diet" for a while immediately following diagnosis 5 years ago.

Just wish he could find a solution to the leg cramps that he has when out walking (up hill the issue, a problem as mountains tend to be "uphill"). This has been ongoing since soon after starting on statins about three years or so ago.....mentions it at review every year but no advice forthcoming or even much interest to be honest, except to increase simvastatin from 20 - 40mg a couple of years ago!!
For the leg cramps, try Magnesium tabs 2 a day, also Crampeze 3 a day - helps a lot and wear thick socks to bed.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So having been diagnosed for a while, been a good boy and followed my diabetic nurses advice and found my HBa1C didn't go down much, then going onto Metformin and seeing a bit of an improvement, I got a bit down and started eating the wrong things again. Now realising that I don't feel too good, I'm ready for LCHF to see if this will work for me. Problem is that I eat a fair amount of carbs.

So do you really not miss them? I've tried for a couple of days, but then a sandwich or something like that gets eaten on the run and I'm back to the carbs again.

Advice??

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@suffolkscouser I think the results are the incentive. I used to pretend I did not have time to plan ahead and ate on the run a lot. It is so easy to pop a slice of bread in the toaster, buy a sandwich and eat in the car etc. I am only a few weeks in and feeling better and my BG is much improved. My fridge always contains a bag of salad leaves, cucumber, onions and feta (I keep my tomatoes out of the fridge). Tip it into a lunchbox and you have lunch on the move. I also have insulated lunch bags and freezer packs to keep them fresh. A bag on brazil nuts or walnuts for emergencies. A small flask with cream for my coffee. I could live on this everyday but do vary it about.
Preparation was the key to me cracking this.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
BTW, the response is great when I produce my flask of cream for coffee, 'oh look at Madam', 'didn't know we were expecting royalty' etc. I smile and tell them I am worth it. :)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. I think the idea sounds great in my mind, but the flesh is weak. Need to man up to this before I get put on insulin. I'll give this a go and see what happens, won't be until after Easter though, have lots of family over so carbs will be available and will be consumed!
Once they have gone it will be easier for me to sort out my diet and get working on it. Also helps as salad season is here and makes eating more sensibly much easier!