Vaccine will cure diabetes - Daily Express

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
One of these 'cure' short stories pop up every day now, i noticed Tesco are in again nice bit of self promotion.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have heard so many stories over many years and here I am still sticking a needle in myself but I truly believe that one they will find a cure at least I hope so

Reactions: 4 people

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to think there will be a cure by the time I'm 50! Then i can party like a rockstar until i die...

Reactions: 10 people

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Call me cynical but I get really fed up when I see these articles in those types of papers as I know I'll be fending off calls from well meaning friends and relations about to delight me with news of a 'cure'........thanks dad! After 30 years as a type 1, I really don't find these helpful.

Reactions: 8 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am in my fifties now so tend to think these things are a bit late for me personally. But I would be happy to spend my twilight years with a "normal" metabolism. However, I DO think this is a good move because for a change they are looking at the underlying mechanism, which is the autoimmune problem. In my lifetime, there has only been progress in testing and insulin delivery systems really; it seems 99% of research focuses on blood sugar control. But Type 1s also get other autoimmune problems, such as hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, joint problems, etc. Those are not necessarily the RESULTS of high blood sugars. They may just be correlated with high bloods because the autoimmune attack and associated inflammation makes it harder to control blood sugar.

So this is a better approach, from my point of view, and it bodes well for my extended family and any grandchildren I may have.

robadob

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I do try and not let this type of headline get my hopes up (10yr daughter diagnosed Feb this year) but a small glimmer is a good thing.

Reactions: 5 people

scallion

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Bought the paper as well today. Cynical by nature, and when I mentioned it to my wife before showing her the paper she said - don't tell me - the DE. So apparently they do diabetes headlines (who knew?)

Anyway, taking the positives out of it, as others have said these sort of things come along all the time so no huge breakthrough - but maybe a little bit of progress? (haven't read the additional material provided in the above links yet - but do feel a bit of optimism that the different types of white blood cell have been identified, and the ones that go grrr against the pancreas can be specifically targeted. Article said that the tests allowed the pancreas to 'briefly' start producing insulin again, so this is not a solution (more jabs all round?) - but surely it's a pointer for further research.

scallion

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I do try and not let this type of headline get my hopes up (10yr daughter diagnosed Feb this year) but a small glimmer is a good thing.

Hi robadob - pretty similar here, 8yr daughter diagnosed a week ago. Hope all ok with you and yours.

Reactions: 5 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Call me cynical but I get really fed up when I see these articles in those types of papers as I know I'll be fending off calls from well meaning friends and relations about to delight me with news of a 'cure'........thanks dad! After 30 years as a type 1, I really don't find these helpful.

Me too Jane, no doubt mum will be on the phone in the next few days about this ! Articles like this are strange because why do they release them, I don't understand the logic, giving types 1's false hope, still at least they are trying to find one.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Years ago Chris Rock used to do a whole routine about there being no money in a cure and used HIV as an example.
I know I'll get called a cynic, but just think about all the consumables that you use every day to treat your diabetes and stay alive. That would be billions of dollars lost if "they" were ever to find a cure.

I'm in my 27th year of being a diabetic and I've long since given up hope. You can guarantee every couple of years there'll be a cure story in the papers. I seem to remember one made the front pages(might've been the mail) "diabetes cured" in a big black typeface:rolleyes: I don't even bother reading them now

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in my fifties now so tend to think these things are a bit late for me personally. But I would be happy to spend my twilight years with a "normal" metabolism. However, I DO think this is a good move because for a change they are looking at the underlying mechanism, which is the autoimmune problem. In my lifetime, there has only been progress in testing and insulin delivery systems really; it seems 99% of research focuses on blood sugar control. But Type 1s also get other autoimmune problems, such as hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, joint problems, etc. Those are not necessarily the RESULTS of high blood sugars. They may just be correlated with high bloods because the autoimmune attack and associated inflammation makes it harder to control blood sugar.

So this is a better approach, from my point of view, and it bodes well for my extended family and any grandchildren I may have.
I know what you mean RuthW. There was no T1 in my family till I was diagnosed with it last year at 56! However my late father developed RA when I was 12. All my life I've been waiting for the signs of that! HAHA! Jeesh thank goodness no one told me that there was a whole host of related auto immune conditions! Until we learn how to switch off the over active immune system we will always have the risk of getting something even worse! At least other than the pricks n jabs this isn't a painful condition if it can be managed.

Reactions: 2 people

GoRachel1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lizards (especially geckos...)
People who are nosy, pushy and don't respect personal boundaries.
Eggplant and liver...
Diabetes
Pitbull's lyrics...
That would be great if they actually find a cure. Whether or not I would be able to afford that cure is another story all by itself. But that's just one of the reasons why I choose not to get my hopes up...

Last edited by a moderator:

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did buy the newspaper to see what sort of language they used in the article and nothing has changed there lol.

Still, I'm 24 and maybe in my lifetime there might be a cure...but by the time it comes I'd probably be lost without my blood monitoring and injections ha :headphone:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This did my head in. Clearly a slow news day for the express today. The story is really old and was reported in balance months if not a couple of years ago. And the wording they used about "The agony of injecting insulin" made me want to find the journalist and give them acupuncture with 12mm pen needles. I think they'd realise that their statement really was a load of tripe.

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd burst into tears of joy if they found a cure. Would feel better than winning the lottery.

robadob

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Theyre at it again today.....Daily Express, Insulin patches, works on mice, trials to begin soon,
I can really see why being sceptical is the default setting, cant help hoping though.