Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed @Pipp ND will bring your bg's down but we have to work to keep them there. I am using shake that weight but as said if you are not fond of sweet you might not like it that much but I am diluting it with more water than recommended. Banana flavour was the worst out of them all, if you like coffee Caffè latte is really nice and so are others. But I hate sweet coffees as well :) but yes it's a good product and I take 3 of those shakes making it about 400 cals and about 200gm of soup, that can't be 200 calories but I think that's what's mentioned. I am so confused with the vegetable portion as at one place it says you have to eat 240g veggies split into 3 time but then below it also says 200ml soup. So just to be safe I take one soup of allowed veggies which is 200grams and put 3 grams of oil. All in all I should be about 600 calories. For a change yesterday I had salad and weighed it to make exactly 50 calories but that looked huge. Although we're allowed 200 cals of veggies I don't know the reason behind such a small quantity of soup. I don't use stock so I make it purely out of water. My 200 gram soup can not be 200 calories.
Any suggestions?
Am I doing anything wrong or understood wrong.

I will have a look and get back to you. Limited time online at the moment.
I have tended not to worry too much about the quantity of veg. Usually base homemade soups on celery leeks and green veg, with herbs for flavour. If I am going to do this again properly then I need to study the options. My original ND was with Lipotrim, which is Total Food Replacement, so didn't have to concern myself with any other food. Will read up the Newcastle papers and Shake that Weight literature and report back. I won't be making a start for about a week though. Got too much going on at the moment to be committed to it. It had to be perfect!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all t2 is very confusing isn't it lol
I checked my bloods yday after I'd had white bread, wowsers Sky high, in late teens!! then today scrambled egg and grilled bacon for breakfast, a cheeky 14 mile bike ride checked my bloods and 6.9!!! Which atm for me is low!
I'm looking forward to redoing the diet again and getting right into the exercise again.
Me and gf have put together a gym in garage, very lucky to be able to do that I appreciate, but when I did it last time I soon realised exercise is also key to the diet.
I was really quite fit by the end but lost a lot of muscle mass and looked like a bobble head, going to try to focus on keeping my size, muscle wise, but lose the fat internally and externally is my goal.
I know my sugars will be fine as will cholesterol etc, but there's no denying its going to be tough but going to do it
Are you getting support? Gp or nurse? What about medication?

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will have a look and get back to you. Limited time online at the moment.
I have tended not to worry too much about the quantity of veg. Usually base homemade soups on celery leeks and green veg, with herbs for flavour. If I am going to do this again properly then I need to study the options. My original ND was with Lipotrim, which is Total Food Replacement, so didn't have to concern myself with any other food. Will read up the Newcastle papers and Shake that Weight literature and report back. I won't be making a start for about a week though. Got too much going on at the moment to be committed to it. It had to be perfect!
Did you use any supplements your first go 'round, especially the essential fatty acids (or were they included in the Lipotrim?)

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
I know what the doctor will say so I'm happy enough to just crack on. I will go after three months for a full blood work up but I have a bench mark set of stats to compare.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm no expert so I might be wrong far off the mark etc but ... this place often sounds like a diet club ... I understand why but ... but but but .... I thought the idea was to change your lifestyle not have a diet here a diet there do eight weeks twelve weeks this club that club and so on.
I was told I had a disease that might cause me to lose limbs go blind feel **** and so on.
Told do something about it or suffer.
I chose the do something about it option and changed my lifestyle.
Changed my approach to food forever ... not eight weeks or twelve weeks.
I'm doing great having made that decision.
I slip and do not so great for a few hours maybe a day but I know why I know the risks etc.
So please explain to me in simple terms why all this temporary dieting and then planning on something else when that diet comes to an end etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert so I might be wrong far off the mark etc but ... this place often sounds like a diet club ... I understand why but ... but but but .... I thought the idea was to change your lifestyle not have a diet here a diet there do eight weeks twelve weeks this club that club and so on.
I was told I had a disease that might cause me to lose limbs go blind feel **** and so on.
I slip and do not so great for a few hours maybe a day but I know why I know the risks etc.
So please explain to me in simple terms why all this temporary dieting and then planning on something else when that diet comes to an end etc.
How familiar are you with the findings of the Newcastle study? To explain it all would take some time, it would be good to know what you know.

But in short, this "8 weeks this" "12 weeks that" is specifically going on a Very Low Calorie Diet, which has been medically shown to reverse Type 2 diabetes. Specifically, it has been shown to restore beta cell function to the point where insulin production is normal, increase liver sensitivity to insulin even better than normal, and eliminate unhealthy levels of glucose dumping by the liver. 12 weeks after such a diet, the large majority of participants were able to pass an oral glucose tolerance test, and there are folks right here on the forums who saw restored carb metabolism (eat like a normal person and have good BG levels) after this type of VLCD.

As you can also see, it's not a long term solution - it's a method of rapidly losing weight without becoming malnourished, "defatting" the pancreas and liver to restore metabolic function (proven through some seriously heavy MRI work on the study participants). Afterwards, it is still your job to maintain a healthy lifestyle (a minority of study participants failed that OGTT 12 weeks after ending the diet).

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But in other news, the most common form of T2 is indeed a metabolic disorder, so talk of diet is almost always going to be front and center. Over on the cancer boards, it would be strange to openly wonder why everyone is talking about "radiation this" and "chemotherapy that."

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
How familiar are you with the findings of the Newcastle study? To explain it all would take some time, it would be good to know what you know.

But in short, this "8 weeks this" "12 weeks that" is specifically going on a Very Low Calorie Diet, which has been medically shown to reverse Type 2 diabetes. Specifically, it has been shown to restore beta cell function to the point where insulin production is normal, increase liver sensitivity to insulin even better than normal, and eliminate unhealthy levels of glucose dumping by the liver. 12 weeks after such a diet, the large majority of participants were able to pass an oral glucose tolerance test, and there are folks right here on the forums who saw restored carb metabolism (eat like a normal person and have good BG levels) after this type of VLCD.

As you can also see, it's not a long term solution - it's a method of rapidly losing weight without becoming malnourished, "defatting" the pancreas and liver to restore metabolic function (proven through some seriously heavy MRI work on the study participants). Afterwards, it is still your job to maintain a healthy lifestyle (a minority of study participants failed that OGTT 12 weeks after ending the diet).
Ahhh ... it sounds like I've done something very similar without realising.
I hit the LCHF thing running.
Total cold turkey for weeks from carbs... not really sure how many.
My results are almost none diabetic results on my last check.
No I din't know the details BUT THANKS FOR EXPLAINING.
i MISUnDerstood and thought it was just another temporary diet thing.
Thankyou.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh ... it sounds like I've done something very similar without realising.
I hit the LCHF thing running.
Total cold turkey for weeks from carbs... not really sure how many.
My results are almost none diabetic results on my last check.
No I din't know the details BUT THANKS FOR EXPLAINING.
i MISUnDerstood and thought it was just another temporary diet thing.
Thankyou.
Yes, my lay understanding is that weightloss in general - if has to be significant, but not necessarily quick - might hold the key to reversal, even in "thin" Type 2/metabolic disorder diabetics (with the understanding that some just would not be able to get thin enough and drew the short end of the genetic stick on this one point).

The "Newcastle" diet is just a VLCD, which has drawbacks . . . But generally speaking, so does being obese, so in some cases the benefits more than outweigh the potential drawbacks. In other cases, measured weight loss makes more sense (if you can manage it - in some crazy way, VLCDs can actually be easier than traditional dieting). But of course, with traditional dieting, you're already learning your new lifestyle choice, whereas with a VLCD it would be suicidal to maintain that diet indefinitely. So the transition at the end can be more jarring for VLCD goers . . . But that's tempered by the fact that going on a VLCD can help you (well, it helped me) appreciate food as a fuel from a distance, without having it in your face all the time. When I'm done with my VLCD, I'll have spent two months with no fast food, no trashy snack foods, no going-alone-to-the -buffet and getting my money's worth, no stuffing myself with carbs for dinner then having a late night carb meal again because I'm still hungry. I could redevelop those bad habits, and if I do I will have one person to blame, but this period of rest and willpower has given me more strength than I thought I had when it came to diet, and I think it will carry over for the rest of my life.

And it works - it worked in a clinical trial, it anecdotally worked for a LOT of people after the study and it appears to already be working for me. From a dangerous A1C at diagnosis and scary fasting blood glucose levels even on 20g of carbs a day, I've seen my BG come under insane control . . .and my diet is over 100g of carbs/day, with over 50 of those grams coming from sugars. Last week I cheated (of sorts) and had a meal that included a baked potato, French dressing on a salad, and the most sugary cake you can imagine, and within 2 hours my BG was in the 80 mg/dL range (oh how I wish I would have been able to test at one hour!)

I'll shut up,now, I could talk for hours, and after viewing your profile, I see you've been around the block a time or two already :)

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yes, my lay understanding is that weightloss in general - if has to be significant, but not necessarily quick - might hold the key to reversal, even in "thin" Type 2/metabolic disorder diabetics (with the understanding that some just would not be able to get thin enough and drew the short end of the genetic stick on this one point).

The "Newcastle" diet is just a VLCD, which has drawbacks . . . But generally speaking, so does being obese, so in some cases the benefits more than outweigh the potential drawbacks. In other cases, measured weight loss makes more sense (if you can manage it - in some crazy way, VLCDs can actually be easier than traditional dieting). But of course, with traditional dieting, you're already learning your new lifestyle choice, whereas with a VLCD it would be suicidal to maintain that diet indefinitely. So the transition at the end can be more jarring for VLCD goers . . . But that's tempered by the fact that going on a VLCD can help you (well, it helped me) appreciate food as a fuel from a distance, without having it in your face all the time. When I'm done with my VLCD, I'll have spent two months with no fast food, no trashy snack foods, no going-alone-to-the -buffet and getting my money's worth, no stuffing myself with carbs for dinner then having a late night carb meal again because I'm still hungry. I could redevelop those bad habits, and if I do I will have one person to blame, but this period of rest and willpower has given me more strength than I thought I had when it came to diet, and I think it will carry over for the rest of my life.

And it works - it worked in a clinical trial, it anecdotally worked for a LOT of people after the study and it appears to already be working for me. From a dangerous A1C at diagnosis and scary fasting blood glucose levels even on 20g of carbs a day, I've seen my BG come under insane control . . .and my diet is over 100g of carbs/day, with over 50 of those grams coming from sugars. Last week I cheated (of sorts) and had a meal that included a baked potato, French dressing on a salad, and the most sugary cake you can imagine, and within 2 hours my BG was in the 80 mg/dL range (oh how I wish I would have been able to test at one hour!)

I'll shut up,now, I could talk for hours, and after viewing your profile, I see you've been around the block a time or two already :)
Good morning .... 5.30 a.m here ... and thank you for your time and explanation.
I've been fortunate in never having had a sweet tooth or being much into snacks or junk food.
Diabetes came as something of a shock because of those things.
I didn't really know much about diabetes but had an idea in my head of what kind of people would be candidates for it and I wasn't one of them!
Strange thing is I've now developed something of a sweet tooth!
I'm learning all the time on here and one of those lessons just now is not to isolate myself in my own world view and opinions especially on all things diabetic and food.
Food .... I knew nothing whatsoever about food other than how to cook and eat ... I like both always have done but carbs and protein ... nothing.
I never had to.
At nearly six foot three I was fourteen stone no matter how much I did or didn't eat for twenty years and more. (196lbs)
So quite trim.
I shot to eighteen st (252pounds) in a matter of weeks due to a drug I had to start taking and within three years was diagnosed diabetic ... possibly four years I'm terrible with time.
Anyway I'm doing very well with it all having found this place and going for the LCHF.
We are all very different that's clear.
Once again thank you for your time and efforts and I wish you all the best.
I hope things work out for you

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I know what the doctor will say so I'm happy enough to just crack on. I will go after three months for a full blood work up but I have a bench mark set of stats to compare.
Good luck! Hope it goes well! I could do with some motivation at the mo' as have slipped a bit with LCHF (stressful times - house move, job change) and drunk too much wine and eaten some **** as of late. Weight wise not too much damage but sugars not as great as normal. Won't join in the Newcastle but will get back to LCHF and join you on the journey! Hugsx

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all I think the one thing that needs to be said is T2 disbetes is directly controllable by what you put in your mouth.
I'm am starting the eight week phase again to get my sugars under tight control, I will then eat a sensible low calorie low carb diet for the rest of my life, something I didn't do at end of last eight weeks, much to my regret.
I got on scales this morning
16st 1.6lb
BG 13
I know that by next Monday this will be a lot better which is quite amazing really.
Gym for an hour tonight, slim fast through day, salad and meat for tea, no eating late at night, no alcohol for eight weeks and very low carbs forever.
I was annoyed with myself initially but am now embracing the programme again abs looking forward to eight weeks time when I will have changed, my eye sight will be like a s*^+ house rat, I will be fit, slimmer, healthy, no mood swings, and excellent by control, here we go lol

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you use any supplements your first go 'round, especially the essential fatty acids (or were they included in the Lipotrim?)

I just used Lipotrim products and water as stipulated in the Lipotrim literature. I followed it meticulously as I was very determined to prove the medics wrong. It was early days in the Newcastle research, and many were sceptical about it being possible to reverse diabetes. The docs had been pressurising me into having bariatric surgery. I told them I would eat the small quantities patients eat post surgery, but without the surgery.

I already had gallstones, (non-symptomatic). But nowhere in the Lipotrim literature mentioned the need to add some oil to diet. I now know that gallstones can be a result of VLCD, and if I hadn't already had them I would have been somewhat annoyed by their omission to mention that.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Simple terms. For me it took less than a week on a Newcastle diet to bring blood glucose to normal levels. They remain so some 3+ years later, despite still having some 5+ stones to lose.
Whoever told you in such graphic terms what T 2 could do to your body did you a favour. Like many have reported, all I was told was ' It is a progressive disease, but you control with medication, and eat lots of starchy carbs'. I believe the starchy carbs advice was what tipped me over the threshold of T2 in the first place due to gaining weight on that diet.

I think the attraction of the ND is that it can for some people resolve high BG. very rapidly. For me, I have been able to eat anything at all without the spikes in BG. Yet this is the 'catch 22' . Without the spectre of raised BG, and being weak willed I have indulged rather too much in the sort of foods that make me gain weight. Therefore, thanks to @geordie90 giving me a wake up call I will do something about it.

I know there are many who successfully manage T2 with the LCHF method. Tried it, it did not work for me. Gained weight, had the most awful abdominal pains and diarrhoea. So I think we each need to find our own way to manage.T2 that suits. Ideally I need to lose a lot more weight, then stop eating (ok and drinking beer and wine ) in the quantities I have been to maintain a decent weight for me that avoids the danger of tipping back to T2 levels. I am happy with the T2 reversal I have achieved as an alternative to other ways of eating that may still require me to take diabetes medication. I have not needed any diabetes medication for a year now and want to keep it that way.

Admittedly, you make a very valid point, that we need to find a sustainable diet for life. ND is short term, but the advice thereafter is to reduce food intake by about a third of previous. It is very specific. This is where I have slipped up. Time to do something about it before I regret it.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Interestingly, I needed major abdominal surgery 2 years after ND. I asked the surgeon how my liver had looked as he had to rejig much my abdominal organs. His response was that he had been surprised at the minimal visceral fat present. Most of the fat was subcutaneous fat.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I think the one thing that needs to be said is T2 disbetes is directly controllable by what you put in your mouth.
I'm am starting the eight week phase again to get my sugars under tight control, I will then eat a sensible low calorie low carb diet for the rest of my life, something I didn't do at end of last eight weeks, much to my regret.
I got on scales this morning
16st 1.6lb
BG 13
I know that by next Monday this will be a lot better which is quite amazing really.
Gym for an hour tonight, slim fast through day, salad and meat for tea, no eating late at night, no alcohol for eight weeks and very low carbs forever.
I was annoyed with myself initially but am now embracing the programme again abs looking forward to eight weeks time when I will have changed, my eye sight will be like a s*^+ house rat, I will be fit, slimmer, healthy, no mood swings, and excellent by control, here we go lol

Go @geordie90
Thank you for your honesty.
I am almost ready to join the ND journey.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Pipp I think the secret is to exercise as well as stuck to ND, it's not easy you will have periods of weakness and may give in but if you do then it doesn't mean you failed it just means back on it the next day, don't let one slip stop the progress you've made