What I like about being Diabetic

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I feel like I'm instantly connected to someone if I see them injecting/finger pricking! Like we're from the same 'place' haha

LOL ! It's way cooler than the " rolled up trouser leg and funny handshake " thing ! :D

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
free prescriptions and CHEESE are bonuses too ;)
You get free cheese?
Yes, this is a good thread. As we used to sing, you gotta accentuate the positives, eliminate the negatives, latch on to the affirmatives: that's what gets results.
All together now ...

Reactions: 18 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a very lovely thread :)
I also have lots of things that I like...

In particular, I LOVE a nice gadget, and what with pens, pumps, glucose meters and freestyle libre, I am well equipped with those :)

I also like a nice spreadsheet and a bit of data to play with, so that's all good too!

And as already mentioned, free prescriptions and CHEESE are bonuses too ;)

I'm not sure that from others perspectives , this is a good thing - that as more kit has come available over the years, I have become a " Kit Geek " capable of boring the pants off non "D's" and accumulating a historical time line of defunct meters, strips, pens etc :confused:

Well, I suppose everyone has to have a hobby - not sure if it's a good thing or not ! :D

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You get free cheese?
Yes, this is a good thread. As we used to sing, you gotta accentuate the positives, eliminate the negatives, latch on to the affirmatives: that's what gets results.
All together now ...

OMG IMAGINE IF WE GOT FREE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: oh the excitement! :D

Reactions: 10 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG IMAGINE IF WE GOT FREE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: oh the excitement! :D
Oh yeah yeah ! :D That would be a GOOD thing ! :D

But wait , wait ... what if we got prescribed a well rounded mature cheddar, got used and dependent on that, then the pricing authority decreed that NHS cheese would henceforth be Tesco Value Mild ?:eek::eek:

Oh the horror !:depressed:

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 controlled by diet but the positives for me are that I was finally diagnosed withan under active thyroid as part of my BS screening and am now, at last, receiving treatment for it - free prescriptions. It has also made me re-access my diet and lifestyle and I now feel fitter and healthier than pre diagnosis and I have qalso proved the consultant who, many years ago, told me that I was one of his few patients who could blame their metabolism for being over weight and I would find it nearly impossible to lose weight because in the last year I've lost 3 stone and it's still going down - and I'm also in jeans and trousers without an elasticated waist :)

Reactions: 12 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL ! It's way cooler than the " rolled up trouser leg and funny handshake " thing ! :D

Signy
Wait what's wrong with rolling up a trouser leg? Got a rather nice tattoo on show if I do that.
And as for funny handshakes, well depends on the handshake.

Also... free cheese? **** I need to find out how to get this free cheese on prescription.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I suppose so. Free eye tests and prescriptions are a Brucey bonus.
Not for much longer there's a promise of fifty billion quids worth of cuts and a lot of the financial gurus are saying to remove that amount of money from the people of this country has to include the above and the hardest hit are going to be those in work.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
They smoke cheese round here .....

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
Generally - Negative people, narrow minded people, being lied to or patronised, prejudice.....oh and poor customer service and black pudding!
Diabetes wise - hypos, hypers, every health issue being automatically linked to diabetes (even pre-existing ones).....chalky glucose tablets.
MMmmmm........nothing like free cheese. Let's start a campaign! ;)

On a serious note, I like this thread too. Its all too easy to notice the negatives and forget the positives......I've often thought since my Type 1 diagnosis that insulin was discovered less than 100 years ago, which really isn't that long. If any of us had been born back then, well......no need to say anymore. That's something to be thankful for! :happy: Then all the advances since then, BG monitoring, insulin pumps!

On a lighter note! I do quite like the organisational element of diabetes, appeals to my control freak side! Pretty good 'fit' illness for me. My husband is always teasing me about my supplies being organised into pouches for this.....bags for that....boxes for the other in the fridge.....
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
Generally - Negative people, narrow minded people, being lied to or patronised, prejudice.....oh and poor customer service and black pudding!
Diabetes wise - hypos, hypers, every health issue being automatically linked to diabetes (even pre-existing ones).....chalky glucose tablets.
Oh.....and I quite like trying to kid myself that a little bit of plumpness is okay as it makes cannula insertion less painful! ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I feel like I'm instantly connected to someone if I see them injecting/finger pricking! Like we're from the same 'place' haha

I felt like going over and embracing the only person I have ever spotted getting his pump out in a cafe and bolusing for food. Seeing someone out there in the natural environment - rather than in a pump clinic where it's odds on favourite - really made me smile. I wanted to shout out "Do you want to see mine?" except the poor bloke would have thought I was deranged.

Buying a pretty pencil case for all the pump bits and pieces, spare pen etc I carry round, it's like that start of new school term feeling when you were able to choose new pencils and felt tips.

Reactions: 10 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@gemma6549 -- absolutely cool thread :)

I love my life and had I not been diabetic many things may have turned out differently.
I like the odd glass or 3 of red wine which my BG's tolerate very well:D

Most importantly being diabetic has allowed me to view others with compassion for I am indeed lucky.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@gemma6549 -- absolutely cool thread :)

I love my life and had I not been diabetic many things may have turned out differently.
I like the odd glass or 3 of red wine which my BG's tolerate very well:D

Most importantly being diabetic has allowed me to view others with compassion for I am indeed lucky.

Compassion - good point. It was having diabetes that influenced my career choice . Otherwise I would have been a vet. And a whole lot richer ! Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
I felt like going over and embracing the only person I have ever spotted getting his pump out in a cafe and bolusing for food. Seeing someone out there in the natural environment - rather than in a pump clinic where it's odds on favourite - really made me smile. I wanted to shout out "Do you want to see mine?" except the poor bloke would have thought I was deranged.

Buying a pretty pencil case for all the pump bits and pieces, spare pen etc I carry round, it's like that start of new school term feeling when you were able to choose new pencils and felt tips.

:hilarious: Thanks for making me laugh flowerpot - I would be exactly the same in the cafe situation! Lol

Totally agree its like being at school when you get all the kit and organise it - another little plus! There is a quote about enjoying the small pleasures in life!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
Hey we all need a bit of warmth in the winter :) I'm done spending my life trying to be skinny

Too true Gemma6549 - and energy bills are already too high, so I consider the extra layer of self insulation a green, energy saving measure! I'm very environmentally conscious like that me.....;)

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure that from others perspectives , this is a good thing - that as more kit has come available over the years, I have become a " Kit Geek " capable of boring the pants off non "D's" and accumulating a historical time line of defunct meters, strips, pens etc :confused:

Well, I suppose everyone has to have a hobby - not sure if it's a good thing or not ! :D

Signy

Well some folks dont even have a hobby, not that I am saying that this is a good reason to get D mind you.