What I like about being Diabetic

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just spotted this thread, what an awesome subject "Things I like about being diabetic" This is so uber awesome it should be made a sticky!!!

For me personally there's several things I actually enjoy, like being healthier, energy levels being high due to dietary changes, looking good in the mirror after losing weight ;), better mental health, a more optimistic outlook on life, and like Spiker above said ^ the gadgetry.

A prognosis of living longer than I would have done without being diagnosed diabetic.

Diabetes has motivated me into making the changes I know I would never likely have made, without it.

I feel sorry for non diabetics!

Reactions: 9 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I like about being diabetic is my Accu Chek Mobile meter. It's an awesome piece of design, just about perfect. All gadgets should be this handy.

Hell yeah! I love mine too.. & it's black with the minimalist amount of gun metal trim.. What more could you want..!?!

Reactions: 2 people

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My positive is (I'm still in education) definitely being able to sometimes pull the 'I'm diabetic' card when you're feeling unwell. Haha

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My positive is (I'm still in education) definitely being able to sometimes pull the 'I'm diabetic' card when you're feeling unwell. Haha

The only time I pull the D card, which is advisable. Is during a discussion with my wife. All I have to do is flash the low meter reading as a sign I wish to come back to addressing it later..! ;)

Lol. On an Accu-Chek mobile it looks like those giant lane warning signs on the motorway.... :D

Reactions: 8 people
G

gemma6549

The only time I pull the D card, which is advisable. Is during a discussion with my wife. All I have to do is flash the low meter reading as a sign I wish to come back to addressing it later..! ;)

Lol. On an Accu-Chek mobile it looks like those giant lane warning signs on the motorway.... :D

I've done the same :)

My husband has never forgotten the time I went mad at him in the supermarket for crushing the loaf of bread :) I was low at the time, not to be messed with!

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done the same :)

My husband has never forgotten the time I went mad at him in the supermarket for crushing the loaf of bread :) I was low at the time, not to be messed with!

Lol. I'm the passive type. Not a fan of confrontation. But do believe in amicable resolution..
During a low I'm more likely to suggest putting a radio telescope on the front lawn as a sulution to fixing the fence..? Though in fairness it would hide the problem..:D

G

gemma6549

Lol. I'm the passive type. Not a fan of confrontation. But do believe in amicable resolution..
During a low I'm more likely to suggest putting a radio telescope on the front lawn as a sulution to fixing the fence..? Though in fairness it would hide the problem..:D

A problem hidden is a problem solved :)

My husband filmed one of my hypos once, I was on the floor putting my top over my head and trying to turn the alarm off on my phone that wasn't actually in my hand, he thought that was far more important than assisting me :) fortunately I was already on top of it and had swallowed some sweets a few minutes before. Was very interesting to watch back though!

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband filmed one of my hypos once,

Wow. I think this subject warrants it's own section...? There is some Youtube footage of me rambling during a gig as I desperatly got on top of a low & not let the guys down, which I lifted.. o_O Best form of defence & all that! :D

What the hell. Here it is...

G

gemma6549

Wow. I think this subject warrants it's own section...? There is some Youtube footage of me rambling during a gig as I desperatly got on top of a low & not let the guys down, which I lifted.. o_O Best form of defence & all that! :D

What the hell. Here it is...

Love the editing!! And YouTube, nothing like sharing it with a few people :)

Mine of course considering my actions would be inappropriate to share! And has fortunately since been deleted

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the editing!! And YouTube, nothing like sharing it with a few people :)

Mine of course considering my actions would be inappropriate to share! And has fortunately since been deleted

Thanks. I was brought up around horses.. The funny thing for me about a hypo on horseback is like going "back to the womb." Who needs legs! Lol

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Aww @ElyDave can you not think of one thing? Even if you only slightly like it? Lol
I completely agree with ElyDave. What is there to like? I long for the carefree days when I could eat what I liked, when I wanted it without having to think about bg levels, insulin injections and umpteen finger pricking tests every day. Life used to be so easy. Now I worry about hypos and hypers that we all know can be dangerous. I'm surprised by blood pressure hasn't gone into orbit ............

Reactions: 3 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 and since being diagnosed my life has turned around.. I have lost 5st with a few more to go..feel great ..looking good and enjoying life. In fact I think I can saftley say diabetes has saved my life ! Happy days .. Yes I do miss carbs .. But enjoy my new body more than eating carbs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The fact I look better and fitter than non diabetics and my bloods will probably be better than joe bloggs too!!! So what for an odd insulin shot.. I'm here and 30+ years on I'm still better than the rest in body and mind!! More compassionate, more understanding and more interested in health than "normal" people...

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I can not think about anything I like about being Diabetic I wish the darn thing would go away :banghead: but not gonna happen so we got to make the best of it and take each day as it comes ;)

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I am T2 and since being diagnosed my life has turned around.. I have lost 5st with a few more to go..feel great ..looking good and enjoying life. In fact I think I can saftley say diabetes has saved my life ! Happy days .. Yes I do miss carbs .. But enjoy my new body more than eating carbs
I'm pleased for you, but as a slim individual, weight loss was not an aim for me. In fact, the opposite holds true. I lost a stone pre diagnosis and am endeavouring to get it back again so that I look normal rather than gaunt. Diabetes therefore sucks as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can not think about anything I like about being Diabetic I wish the darn thing would go away :banghead: but not gonna happen so we got to make the best of it and take each day as it comes ;)

After 30yrs+ T1 you have to love yourself for who you are, not who you wish you were.

I 100% believe I am a nicer person and fitter than others due to my diabetes. I think the regular check ups have enabled me rather than disabled me. Better to have a positive approach to life than one feeling of sadness n gloom for things that could happen but may not.

I was told I would have complications... None.

Told I would have a shorter life.. Who gives a ****... You only get one and could hsve a fatal accident at anytime anyway...

Told I would get a medal at 25 years.... Well that is now 50 years and you have to pay for your own!!! Goal posts changed!!! But who cares really for a medal!!!

Live and enjoy... Its not a showstopper... We have one life.... Be happy!!

Reactions: 9 people