Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi Vlad

I have noticed that my readings are higher in the early morning than they are late at night.

Odd!

Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok - day 5. Weight loss 2.7 kg. Fasting blood 6.2.

Happy with that.

Reactions: 4 people

Alpaca

Steve nice to know its not just me getting an odd taste in the mouth, hope mouthwash doesn't count as calories
5 days in and I'm conscious of a strange taste in my mouth, feel better to read that it's not just me. I've lost 6lbs and after a couple of tough days my energy levels are very high, odd compared to my calorie intake.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andy - I got the shivers too. Sitting on the couch with a hot water bottle. Thought it might be a circulation problem. I've learned from these blogs its related to rapid weight loss - so something else to celebrate (besides no alcohol, hunger and an odd taste in the mouth!).:(
I never really got over the cold. Granted, I did it in the depths of a Minnesota winter, but I had never previously had a problem with cold. On the ND, I had to wear socks to bed, and being outside turned my toes/fingers numb almost instantly. I had two extra blankets on my side of the bed the whole time, and always wore extra layers - and often wore a hat around the house.

Now that I'm done, I'm no longer cold, but for me that was the side effect that did not go away after four days - it lasted until the end

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a tough patch now. Think I am in Ketosis. Fuzzy brain function, cramps, headache, cold, itchy skin, low energy, lethargy. Might have made a mistake. Decided to delay the lunch time drink because I get really hungry in the evenings - and I am still doing the cooking in the household - this is particularly difficult around 6 - 8 pm. So - didn't have anything at all since the morning drink at 8.30 am - storing up the calories for when I thought I would be hungriest. Then went out - and stayed out longer than I thought I would. Just had the lunch time drink now at 5pm. Bad idea. Don't recommend it. Must plan this better.

However, have not lost the faith - cheated, or broken down. Just had my resolve tested a bit.
For what it's woth, I postponed my first shake as long as I could, a sort of 16:8 intermittent fast. Many times I made it to noon before my first shake!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 6 - 3.6 kg weight loss - blood sugar 5.3

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never really got over the cold. Granted, I did it in the depths of a Minnesota winter, but I had never previously had a problem with cold. On the ND, I had to wear socks to bed, and being outside turned my toes/fingers numb almost instantly. I had two extra blankets on my side of the bed the whole time, and always wore extra layers - and often wore a hat around the house.

Now that I'm done, I'm no longer cold, but for me that was the side effect that did not go away after four days - it lasted until the end

I notice you've had some recent bloods. What do you feel about those?

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice you've had some recent bloods. What do you feel about those?
My bloods were back in March, I've had nothing recent. My next go round will likely be in May.

The one change is that I bought a home blood pressure cuff; pleasantly surprised to see that post Newcastle, my BP is much improved (averaging about 110-115 over 55-60 on a daily basis). On the "home blood" front my fasting BG went up a touch when I started eating more carbs but is now consistently below 100 mg/dL, even after days of eating up to 250g of carbs. Post-pranadial also started spiking for a bit, but now rarely cracks 120, even after a high carb/high Glycemic Index type of meal.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Glitterbritches you might be one of the unique people like dougie,
most people who go into remission will find that their carb tolerance doesn't alter, what amount caused insulin resistance in the first place. will again cause insulin resistance. trigger weight gain and lead back to T2.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My bloods were back in March, I've had nothing recent. My next go round will likely be in May.

The one change is that I bought a home blood pressure cuff; pleasantly surprised to see that post Newcastle, my BP is much improved (averaging about 110-115 over 55-60 on a daily basis). On the "home blood" front my fasting BG went up a touch when I started eating more carbs but is now consistently below 100 mg/dL, even after days of eating up to 250g of carbs. Post-pranadial also started spiking for a bit, but now rarely cracks 120, even after a high carb/high Glycemic Index type of meal.
Ah. I read your signature post, dated yesterday, and assumed it to be correct, as of yesterday. Thanks for clarifying.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah. I read your signature post, dated yesterday, and assumed it to be correct, as of yesterday. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah . . . I don't know why I changed the date, should have just updated new weight and blood pressure. I should adjust that. I hope and expect a much lower A1C next time around

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it true Newcastle plan only works in the first four years?
I was diagnosed 15 years ago. Anyone out there had success after a long standing experience of type 2?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 15 years ago. Anyone out there had success after a long standing experience of type 2?

According to Prof Taylor, it is statistically more likely to work in the early years. Have you read his iWork? The results included for the original study, include details of patient duration, if I recall accurately.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Me.
Diagnosed 2005, though had been pre-diabetic since 2001.
Used Newcastle diet, started September 2011. Within 2 weeks blood glucose became non-diabetic range. Has stayed that way since. Confirmed by oral glucose tolerance test in 2013.

It is not a quick fix, and doesn't work for everyone. I would recommend having support of GP, though some of them take a bit of persuasion. They tend to want to stick with the NHS recommendation of low fat and carbs at every meal. Even when evidence shows this doesn't work.

Also, it is important to consider what your eating regime will be after the Newcastle diet phase is done, because if you return to previous way of eating then should you have achieved 'reversal' you could soon find yourself back to where you started.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is encouraging.

How long did you stay on very low calorie restriction?

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 7. Total weight loss 4kg. Fasting blood 5.2. BMI now 25.3 (on the new scale). I would call this 'rapid' weight loss. However, I realise this is not about weight. I am aiming for the 25% rapid weight reduction target to see if I can effect T2 reversal. I need to get to 84kg (ideally). I was 90.6 this morning. Still a bit to go - but feeling very positive about it.