Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes really wonder if we could know what his current status is like, lucky chap coz he only did it for 11 days I think wasnt it.
I did email Richard, and he is still free. Maintaining it with excercise and diet for 3 Years.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Day 19. You were all correct. Weight down again. Now down to 88.9kg (a new low not seen since I was in my 30's). Total loss on the ND 6.7kg. BMI is now 24.8. It's official - I'm 'normal'. But more exciting - fasting blood was 4.4 (only the second reading in the 4's I've ever seen!!!!) :D

Reactions: 16 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 19. You were all correct. Weight down again. Now down to 88.9kg (a new low not seen since I was in my 30's). Total loss on the ND 6.7kg. BMI is now 24.8. It's official - I'm 'normal'. But more exciting - fasting blood was 4.4 (only the second reading in the 4's I've ever seen!!!!) :D

Well done. Very inspiring. Do hope when you have finished the diet you find that you have reversed your diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Dee14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed about 2 years ago and have pretty much stuck my head in the sand for the majority of that time. I'm now feeling extremely motivated (at last!!!) and inspired by those of you doing the Newcastle Diet. I know it will be tough, but, feel for me it would be the best start. What shakes do you all use???

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks AH - me too! The support of all on this blog has been so important. Think my partner is tiring of my constant ranting about T2. It has been - and continues to be - important to be part of a community of like minds and circumstances. I got myself into this situation on my own - but hopefully we can help each other out of it!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Dee

Welcome to the group. What shakes? I use Slimfast. 77p at SuperDrug

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all use different shakes there is slim and shake and tescos do ultraslim asda does there own variety too. You can go with them, I am using shake that weight

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks AH - me too! The support of all on this blog has been so important. Think my partner is tiring of my constant ranting about T2. It has been - and continues to be - important to be part of a community of like minds and circumstances. I got myself into this situation on my own - but hopefully we can help each other out of it!

I too find it "important to be part of a community of like minds and circumstances" as I don't really have much support apart from here. My sister actually said "I have lots of friends who have diabetes and they don't fuss like you do; why don't you just eat what you want and die sooner". That really made me feel better! My husband continues his rubbish diet so we eat totally different meals all the time now instead of just sometimes as previously and he now eats the pack of 5 donuts by himself every day instead of my having one occasionally. I do miss my treats but I know I will just have to live with it.

I see the dietician on Monday and after that I want to start the ND despite the fact that my DN doesn't think I should as I am already under weight but others who are not fat have done it and succeeded in reversing their diabetes so it is worth giving it a go.

I have got my shakes in ready to start; I got them from Superdrug on special offer a few weeks ago; hope they are not too grim! I drink strong black coffee (no sugar) which is about the only thing in my diet that hasn't changed since my diagnosis so I think I might find the shakes a bit sweet.

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi AH

I'm finding the shakes are getting sweeter as I go along. Not sure if the buttery taste on my tongue has anything to do with it.

I take it from this discussion and from what I have read that the ND is not just about weight - but about specific deposits in the liver and pancreas. The ND seems to clear that out al la bariatric surgery. BUT - still think it needs to be supervised. Muscle waste is not necessarily a good thing. Sure you know what you are doing.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope so, Steve! I have never been overweight as an adult (although I was a bit podgy up until my teens) so I may have a very low personal fat threshold; all my family were slim except for me! I could easily have put weight on but always chose not to, once my jeans got tight I lost the extra weight rather than buy bigger jeans as I decided it would be easier to lose a few pounds than a few stone.

I do love sweet things; chocalate, ice cream, cakes etc just not sweet drinks apart from the mocha coffees, lattees etc but that is my coffee addiction. Coffee walnut cake, could kill for a slice.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
AH - you realise talk of all the things you like is torture to read! ;)

I'm still drinking tea and coffee - but not latte's or cappuccino's.

I have been thinking about a time when I can taste the good life again - but I really think my attitude towards food has to change. I need to consider the really nice things (coffee walnut cake) as a very occasional treat - limited to celebrations etc....and not just an accompaniment for a coffee at any time. re-education is - in my view - going to be the biggest challenge - for me.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steve, when I visit a big Arab stud (we have been friends with them for years) I still take the huge cheesecake and cream as I always used to but while everyone else tucks in I have a teaspoonfull with my strong, black coffee and that does me. I realise I am unlikely to ever go back to having a slice of it as I used to but it would be nice to be able to have a slice of bread, a few chips or potato wedges and some grapes; I really miss my fresh fruit. That is what I am hoping from the ND.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Again - all those things sound fantastic! And may not be off the radar in the long term. It's a question of balance. A calorie is a calorie - no matter what form it comes in. Once I know I am in remission, as long as I stay under the threshold, I imagine I'll be able to engage with these nice foods again - but in a more disciplined way - like you suggest. I don't see it as the same thing as being a recovering alcoholic. I don't think one piece of cheesecake is going to tip me over the edge. I'm not going to lose my sweet tooth - but I might be able to keep indulgence under control a little better - knowing the consequences of not doing so. I really, really, really, want to get off the meds......

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@geordie90 where are you? How are you? Come out and tell us, even if it is not good. Talking about it may help.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided to stop the meal replacements. They have served me well, but my goal of maintaining non-diabetic levels has been well maintained.

The weight loss over the last few weeks has been good, 9kg. However it has stalled in last week probably due to steroids for allergies. For the foreseeable future I will be using low carb method, and keeping to around 1200 calories maximum per day. Will exercise in water as much as possible.

Good luck to everyone choosing ND. Make sure you get support of GP, and take notice if your body is giving you hints that it is not the right method or the right time for you.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp are you ok.
Yes, I am thank you.
I often have allergic reactions, so it is not due to ND. Probably tree pollen this time. I just want to emphasise the importance of taking notice of your body. ND was designed to reverse diabetes. I have apparently been in reversed state for over 3 years, just still have a lot of weight to lose. So ND has helped, but right now my body is telling me to eat real food. Also, not much good trying to do extreme calorie reduction when steroids have me bulking up like a marshmallow man.

Reactions: 4 people