Frozen shoulder

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Logie. How are you now? I have a frozen shoulder and see a consultant next week. My osteopath has said she can no longer help and I will need surgery. Feeling worried.
I also have a frozen shoulder and see the consultant in two weeks time!

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I have to agree, the pain is horrendous, booked in at the drs for a sterold injection tomorrow.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to agree, the pain is horrendous, booked in at the drs for a sterold injection tomorrow.
Once you start on steroids there is no way back and it can get worse rather than better. It is nearly the last resort. Have you tried an osteopath first?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
See above.
Yes it was the osteopath who suggested it was a frozen shoulder. I first went to the Dr last May, was diagnosed with rotor cuff problem and had physio during the Summer but there has been no improvement in fact movement is more restrictive. I've had xrays which showed nothing so my Dr has referred me to the musclsketetal clinic so that I can get an MRI scan to determine what the problem is.
Once you start on steroids there is no way back and it can get worse rather than better. It is nearly the last resort. Have you tried an osteopath first?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't forget that true frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) is not helped with steroids. My wife's consultant prescribed amitriptyline as a pain killer which worked extremely well. It was him who told us steroids are a waste of time for frozen shoulder but OK for fibromyalgia.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Don't forget that true frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) is not helped with steroids. My wife's consultant prescribed amitriptyline as a pain killer which worked extremely well. It was him who told us steroids are a waste of time for frozen shoulder but OK for fibromyalgia.
That's what my oestopath told me - HD did say it may help with the pain but the option were either to wait for a year or two to see if it 'thaws' or on op to release the capsule.

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I met with surgeon re my frozen shoulder he was so thankful I'd not had steroid injections (by the time I'd seen him I'd not been given physio date via NHS; in fact it came through a week before surgery took place). Mine was totally frozen, no movement... Best advice I can give is to get physio ASAP

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good physio or good osteopathy will sort it out. Mine was intractable for about two years and then fully cured by a good osteopath in around ten sessions over a few months, with huge improvement from the very beginning.

Once the capsule is punctured, with a steroid injection let alone with surgery, the capsule may deteriorate further and never recover. The balloon of fluid is not meant to be punctured, cut, or have foreign substances injected in it.

And this has probably been mentioned before but as a diabetic normalising your blood sugar will help immensely to get your shoulder to heal itself.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Logie. How are you now? I have a frozen shoulder and see a consultant next week. My osteopath has said she can no longer help and I will need surgery. Feeling worried.
Get a second opinion from an osteopath who is more confident. Also, how are your blood sugars / HBa1C? Get them down.
Above in this thread is the name of an osteopath in SE england who is brilliant and took me from crippled to fine in a couple of sessions and to fully cured in a couple of months.

Reactions: Larajb

bronisaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m grateful to say that I have had plenty of shoulder problems, but not an actual frozen shoulder, still lots of pain and mobility issues in both shoulders at different times. I took part in a PhD study and had treatment in the order of ultrasound 3 weeks, mild exercise, 3 weeks massage etc by Physio 3 weeks. this was thought to be the best order as the ultrasound reduces inflammation and you get more room in and around the joint for the other therapies to work. I’m just putting it out there as it would be a shame to say ‘ultrasound’ is useless as it seemed to be the trick for me at the time.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get a second opinion from an osteopath who is more confident. Also, how are your blood sugars / HBa1C? Get them down.
Above in this thread is the name of an osteopath in SE england who is brilliant and took me from crippled to fine in a couple of sessions and to fully cured in a couple of months.
Hi
I first Ihad been treated with ostreopath, it didn't work next was a steroid injection, no result either but manipulations worked.If the last one didn't work I would have a keyhole operation.
Afterwards,did dances such as zumbaand aerobic (Lots of arms movements) and I learnt to swim properly. Now everything is back to normal. Where is a will there is a way.