Help with overnight/morning basal rates

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Spot on to Janelle for not giving the full correction. In fact tho it does show that the full correction would probably have been about right!!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you have basal testing then yes its me that says hourly is best, even during the night.
However you shouldn't need to do a lot of night basal testing...
You should be able to start to be able to do say a 11pm a 3am and a getting up one night and perhaps a 11pm, 4am and getting up another night.

I too always test once during night when my hubby gets up to go to the loo. I don't need to but its just habit now. Sometimes I admit though that I tell him I'm having a night off and I don't even realise I've said it in my sleep!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with possibly the food having impacted on levels for going low and then higher.
Try something simple like a salmon and salad which really is neglible for carbs or a steak n salad or meat n veg without the spuds or pasta and keeping to basic bolus's initially would hep..

Got to go to bed now but will cstch up tomorrow...

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have basal testing then yes its me that says hourly is best, even during the night.
However you shouldn't need to do a lot of night basal testing...
You should be able to start to be able to do say a 11pm a 3am and a getting up one night and perhaps a 11pm, 4am and getting up another night.

I too always test once during night when my hubby gets up to go to the loo. I don't need to but its just habit now. Sometimes I admit though that I tell him I'm having a night off and I don't even realise I've said it in my sleep!!
I wake up usually once or twice a night to go to the loo so I don't find it much extra hassle to do a quick test as well. It's something I've always done. I think I have a bit of OCD and if I wake up in the night I can't get back to sleep until I've gone to the toilet, blown my nose, put on lip balm and done a test :p

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So last night didn't go too badly:

I'll start from dinner since I'm pretty sure I've got my carb ratio right now :)

6:20pm = 6.0 = 58g = 4.85 units
6:59pm = 7.8
7:23pm = 9.3
8:07pm = 7.7
1:51am = 8.7 = 0.5 units
6:37am = 7.6
7:35am = 6.6

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They are significantly better. Extreme fluctuations removed and that you had some sleep!!
Whats your plans to lower tge rises and the drops to and from the 9.3 and 8.7?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are significantly better. Extreme fluctuations removed and that you had some sleep!!
Whats your plans to lower tge rises and the drops to and from the 9.3 and 8.7?
I had a much needed early night last night!

For the rise to 9.3 I probably should have done the bolus 15 minutes before I ate.
The rise from 8pm to 2am seems to happen every night (with acceptance to those few days that i was experiencing hypos for no known reason) so I think I'll increase my rate for that time by 0.05. I'm also thinking of lowering my rate at 5am to stop the drop at 7am but then increasing my 6am to stop the rise I have at 8am because the drop and then the rise at those times seems to happen every day.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad to read you had an early night!!! And that you didn't have to chase hypo's!!!

Yep seems like a good plan to me.

Do you think the weekends and weekdays are two profiles needed? Are they vastly different?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad to read you had an early night!!! And that you didn't have to chase hypo's!!!

Yep seems like a good plan to me.

Do you think the weekends and weekdays are two profiles needed? Are they vastly different?
I'm not sure if the lower rates that worked perfectly on Saturday night and then not at all on Sunday were to do with the weekend or if Sunday night was just when my body decided to go back to requiring the usual amount of insulin. The lows started happening last Wednesday so its hard to know. I guess I will find out this weekend.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hows the last couple days been?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hows the last couple days been?
Last night went OK. My BG did rise slightly through the night so maybe just needs a slight increase.

9:52pm = 9.1 = 1.45 units (I'm not 100% sure what caused that)
12:01am = 6.2
2:03am = 7.2
4:55am = 8.1 = 1 unit
6:31am = 6.0
7:18am = 6.1 = 5g = 0.4 units
8:10am = 8.1
8:43am = 8.1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What do you have as 5g of carb at 7.18am? You could really do with delaying the 5g or breakfast until after 9am to see if that 5g is acting really quickly raising your levels or whether its your basal that just needs a small tweak....

The corrections don't seem to be bringing you down to quite low enough to reach your target level by 5 hours.
Ladt night that may have been due to the food taking a time to digest.. Depending what food you ate earlier or that your insulin is lasting less than 4 hours. However food choice could have impacted on both your corrections during the night. I think a delay for 5 hours if having a correction at some point during the night of food for 5 hours or any other corrections being made would give a clearer picture...

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you have as 5g of carb at 7.18am? You could really do with delaying the 5g or breakfast until after 9am to see if that 5g is acting really quickly raising your levels or whether its your basal that just needs a small tweak....

The corrections don't seem to be bringing you down to quite low enough to reach your target level by 5 hours.
Ladt night that may have been due to the food taking a time to digest.. Depending what food you ate earlier or that your insulin is lasting less than 4 hours. However food choice could have impacted on both your corrections during the night. I think a delay for 5 hours if having a correction at some point during the night of food for 5 hours or any other corrections being made would give a clearer picture...
It was just a coffee but one from the coffee machine. The one from the coffee machine seems to have a higher impact on my levels compared to making an instant coffee.

I get nervous about giving large corrections during the night. It seems like I need so much more than I do during the day but seeing the large dosage that I need makes me nervous and I tend to halve it. I know I need to stop doing that because there has been many nights that prove my correction dosage over night/early morning is 1:1.5 and not 1:3.

I think you might be right that the food probably had an affect on my levels through the night. I had Hashbrowns with bacon, egg and mushrooms - so quite high in fat.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your corrections on your pump- don't they change by 1 to say 3 or 1 to 2.9 or 2.8 etc? Why such a huge leap from 1.5 to 3.0? I don't understand that... I understand why you're halving it, but that just proves you need to fine tune rather than big leaps in the ratio's.

The coffee seems to be reacting very quick but I guess its the milk compound stuff they use in machines. If it is at all possible (depending upon your work etc) I think it would be worthwhile tring to delay that coffee until 9am just to check that your basal rate is correct..

Eggs I have to count as 4g of carbs even though they have no carbs. I don't eat bacon or mushrooms so don't know the effects of these or hashbrowns!!

Catch up tomorrow but it is great to see that you aren't having hypos during night and your levels haven't got any big swings in them. So well done on that!!

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your corrections on your pump- don't they change by 1 to say 3 or 1 to 2.9 or 2.8 etc? Why such a huge leap from 1.5 to 3.0? I don't understand that... I understand why you're halving it, but that just proves you need to fine tune rather than big leaps in the ratio's.

The coffee seems to be reacting very quick but I guess its the milk compound stuff they use in machines. If it is at all possible (depending upon your work etc) I think it would be worthwhile tring to delay that coffee until 9am just to check that your basal rate is correct..

Eggs I have to count as 4g of carbs even though they have no carbs. I don't eat bacon or mushrooms so don't know the effects of these or hashbrowns!!

Catch up tomorrow but it is great to see that you aren't having hypos during night and your levels haven't got any big swings in them. So well done on that!!
I jumped to 1:1.5 because thats what I calculated after a few nights of corrections and how much 1 unit lowered my BG. Maybe I should lower the ratio until I feel more comfortable though.

Hmm I don't know how I'll go without my morning coffee but I'll try my best!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaah morning coffees are the best!! I know.. I dislike fasting for cholesterol tests and actually take a flask with me so I can have a caffeeine fix in the car park straight after!!

I would have thought 1 to 1.5 is too high but its what you think is right for you.

You may well find that levels over 12 that you would need more correction bolus. I just add on an amount of either 50% extra or 100% extra depending what levels I've reached! Mine are always set failures and can rise hugely when this happens.

You'll get there.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I skipped the coffee this morning and it looks like that was the culprit for my rising morning BG's

10:09pm = 5.5
3:21am = 5.8
5:48am = 5.8
6:34am = 4.9
7:18am = 5.4
7:54am = 4.6

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mmmm it certainly does. Whats your thoughts on that? It rises so quickly... So much quicker than bolys insulin can manage.

Brilliant levels by the way.... Absolutely superb!!!

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mmmm it certainly does. Whats your thoughts on that? It rises so quickly... So much quicker than bolys insulin can manage.

Brilliant levels by the way.... Absolutely superb!!!
I might just have to stop being lazy and make my own coffee rather than getting one from the machine