Help with overnight/morning basal rates

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did the dinner and movies go?
Good :) Turns out my friend had a big lunch and wasn't very hungry so we just got some snack food. I was able to do the basal testing because I decided to skip dinner.

10:46pm = 4.5 = 8g
11:12pm = 6.0
11:26pm = 6.8
12:00am = 8.0
1:02am = 6.4
2:02am = 5.9
3:01pm = 5.5
4:21am = 6.0
5:01am = 5.3
6:02am = 5.8
7:01am = 5.3
7:59am = 5.3
9:01am = 4.5 (i think this drop was because I slept in an hour longer than usual)
9:30am = 5.0 = 4g (coffee)
10:15am = 7.1

YAY! No hypos!

Rates:
00:00 = 0.600
05:00 = 0.700
07:00 = 0.900
08:00 = 0.700
10:00 = 0.500

I lowered them by quite a lot because I was so worried about going low in the night again. It seems like I lowered them just the right amount :)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brilliant results......

So this looks magical set up.. Was 8g at 10.46 for coffee??

Only wouldn't just be because of the rise at 11.00 but of the drop by 1.02.

They are hugely flat, well done.

Watch to see if return to weekday will cause probs or if it may indeed have been hormones....

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant results......

So this looks magical set up.. Was 8g at 10.46 for coffee??

Only wouldn't just be because of the rise at 11.00 but of the drop by 1.02.

They are hugely flat, well done.

Watch to see if return to weekday will cause probs or if it may indeed have been hormones....
It was half a muesli bar. I didn't feel comfortable going to sleep at 4.5 since I'd been having so many hypos.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good results there.

I guess now its establishing the reason for the lows.. It may have been workdays or ovulation etc. its just to enable you to keep a 2nd profile going and swop if necessary.

At least you are getting experience of adjusting before you get pregnant -lol..

Well done on getting the morning risings down too.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so frustrated. I thought I had the rates sorted...

8:44pm = 2.8 = 20g
8:52pm = 2.6
9:03pm = 3.1
9:28pm = 4.3
10:08pm = 6.6
10:25pm = 8.0 = 0.25 units (over-treated hypo?)
10:42pm = 9.2 = 1 unit
11:00pm = 10.0
1:36am = 11.1 = 2 units
3:03am = 10.2 = 1.9 units
6:02am = 5.3
7:19am = 6.4 = 6g = 0.5 units

I'm hoping this was an issue with my correction doses and not my basal rates. It seems like my needs are changing daily and I'm getting so frustrated.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you back to weekday now?

I think this maybe a weekend / weekday difference in requirements.. I change to my workday profile at 6pm Sunday night. If they are the Sun/mon morn I think you can change the 2nd profile more.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you back to weekday now?

I think this maybe a weekend / weekday difference in requirements.. I change to my workday profile at 6pm Sunday night. If they are the Sun/mon morn I think you can change the 2nd profile more.
Ok thanks, I'll increase everything slightly for my weekday profile and see how that goes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wouldn't say you overtreated hypo as that was a long time to
Stay low until your levels raised.
Did you eat prior to the lows?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10:25 to 3:03 you were stacking corrective doses. Please remember you are not yet in a position to trust the pump IOB and use it for stacking corrections. Nothing went wrong, but still.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't say you overtreated hypo as that was a long time to
Stay low until your levels raised.
Did you eat prior to the lows?
I have a feeling the drop followed by the rise could have been due to the fat content of my meal. I probably should have done a combo bolus.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10:25 to 3:03 you were stacking corrective doses. Please remember you are not yet in a position to trust the pump IOB and use it for stacking corrections. Nothing went wrong, but still.
I was only taking about half of what the pump suggested until 3am when I got frustrated that my levels weren't dropping enough so then I went with the suggested dose.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And now I've shot back up to 10.0 :/
You may have "wake up" phenomenon as well as "dawn" phenomenon. Apparently many people don't see it until they go on a pump.

How are you getting any sleep with all those blood tests?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may have "wake up" phenomenon as well as "dawn" phenomenon. Apparently many people don't see it until they go on a pump.

How are you getting any sleep with all those blood tests?
I'm pretty certain I do have "wake up" phenomenon. When I was on MDI I had to take 1 unit of fast acting as soon as I woke up.

I'm not - I'm exhausted lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was only taking about half of what the pump suggested until 3am when I got frustrated that my levels weren't dropping enough so then I went with the suggested dose.
That was smart. Even if IOB was perfect, you should still under correct (insulin) for a while after a hypo, otherwise you can get into a cycle of rebounds. (After a hypo your blood sugar drops due to restocking of glycogen.(

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That was smart. Even if IOB was perfect, you should still under correct (insulin) for a while after a hypo, otherwise you can get into a cycle of rebounds. (After a hypo your blood sugar drops due to restocking of glycogen.(
I didn't know that - thanks :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know you are very committed but I would really suggest that you stop the frequent testing and changing, and just do it every 3 days or so. Get the week day right perhaps before you try to get the weekend right. It very soon becomes an impossible nightmare if you change more than one thing every 3 days.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It does indicate wake up. That is what happens to me.. My pump settings are timed to get up at certain times. If I don't wake up at that time but an hour later my levels will go low. Its actually waking up that shoves my readings up. Thats why I have 3 different rates..
Spot on Spiker....

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know you are very committed but I would really suggest that you stop the frequent testing and changing, and just do it every 3 days or so. Get the week day right perhaps before you try to get the weekend right. It very soon becomes an impossible nightmare if you change more than one thing every 3 days.
I felt like I HAD to change my rate to stop all of the hypos I was having.

I usually test every time I wake up which is usually twice a night. As for the night before last when I tested every hour through the night, I could of sworn you told me to do that when basal testing - maybe I imagined it though :s

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It does indicate wake up. That is what happens to me.. My pump settings are timed to get up at certain times. If I don't wake up at that time but an hour later my levels will go low. Its actually waking up that shoves my readings up. Thats why I have 3 different rates..
Spot on Spiker....
Yeah, I think thats why my levels dropped a little yesterday morning when I got up at 9 instead of 8