Does anyone have severe mood swing could it poss be Lantus causing the mood changes

Davey208

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a T1D for 13yrs my control has its highs and lows but the thing that worrys me most is how fast my moods can change could it be the Lantus thats causing this?

Davey208

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every year goes by they get worse its ripping my family apart

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I have mood swings all the time with lantus

Davey208

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife has told me since having diabetes I've become a monster today im fine and happy but anything can set it off i dont wanna be a monster when I have a rage rant

Davey208

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i feel myself getting angry or wound up i separate myself go for a walk until it passes but dont always catch it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Every year goes by they get worse its ripping my family apart

Have you sought help for your mood swings, if not then its worth having a chat with your gp or diabetes team and ask them for advice and support, I was taking lantus up until the start of this year and never noticed that it effected my mood............but that's not to say that it can't so do seek some professional advice, especially as its effecting your quality of life and that of your family's, your HCP's may decide to change your basal insulin if they think there's a connection.

Reactions: 3 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Never had an issue with lantus, been on this for about 8 years. However hypos do cause mood swings, very stressful for all. I accuse my wife of hiding things, eg 'where have you put the kitchen?'

Reactions: 12 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When i feel myself getting angry or wound up i separate myself go for a walk until it passes but dont always catch it
I don't think anybody will be able to say whether it's the Lantus or not. But definitely, roller coaster blood sugars cause roller coaster moods. So that's one thing to look at. Also diabetes is strongly associated with depression, and depression in men often shows as anger rather than sadness. It's not clear, by the way, whether depression in diabetes has an organic or a social/psychological origin. But it doesn't really matter. I always say the same thing: go to the diabetic clinic. Get any necessary tests (thyroid, etc) and get treatment. It's not something you or your wife have to just "put up with."

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ask your consultant to change it if you feel it gives you some side eeffects. there are few alternatives and there is no reason why you couldn't try it. Then you will see for sure if it was lantus causing problems

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
my moods change with low/high blood sugar, maybe this is what is happening with you?

Marky Mark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Insulin for 1 year and feel very tearful at times. I have turned very moody at times. Has anybody else felt like this ?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I'm on Humalogmix 25 and I too have mood swings. Feel like I could kill at times, but it passes. Can't remember having these prior to diagnosis but........... Memory

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I was on lantus 8 years and never linked it to mood swings however after going on a pump the cloudy hangover type feeling I noticed everyday lifted within 36 hours and life felt a whole lot better, clearer and easier to cope with, don't think my hubby would agree as my energy levels increased and I actually wanted to get out and do things

Reactions: 2 people

Rumpo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy people
I have always had this problem with mood swings since I was diagnosed. Only ever been on Novorapid and Levemir never heard of Lantus.

Hope that helps in your quest. Would be nice to know why I have the mood swings.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on lantus and levemir for the first 3 years after being diagnosed. Terrible side effects e.g. drugged up feelings, extreme tiredness, walking became a shuffle but not pains in legs or arms or mood swings. Consultant REFUSED to believe that lantus or levemir was the problem even after I used my daughter's Insulatard and the BAD SYMPTOMS went. He wouldn't let me try another insulin until I complained to PAL. If in doubt with any insulin keep pressing to change it.