Curious about diabetes weight loss... Can anyone help?

Weird question, but I was wondering if anyone had some actual stats on how much weight a T1 diabetic loses on average before diagnosis?
Also interested to know at around what BG levels weight loss will occur.

When I was diagnosed (I was 10) I didn't lose any weight, though I know this is a big symptom! So I am just curious as I have never experienced this.

Becky76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost 2 stone over 3 month period, but was eating all the time......was diagnosed 3 weeks ago when rushed to hospital with keytoacidosis.

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was also 10 at the time when I was diagnosed and even though I was a skinny child, I had apparently lost a lot of weight. I was living in a hot country at the time as well so whilst I had lost weight I became very dehydrated too.

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost about 1 stone 3 lbs over about 3 months. Have put half a stone back on since diagnosis - probably back at a healthier weight now so don't want to put on anymore ideally!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9yo, went from 39 kilos down to 29 kilos before turning really sick and getting diagnosed. Probably 4-6 months period from first vomiting occurrence till final stage, where you can no longer leave the toilet... Was eating non-stop, always hungry and thirsty in the end stage. Not sure how much fat/protein you can convert to get enough energy to avoid weight loss, but indicator for not enough insulin for sugar conversion is when you start to get above 10-12 mmol/l when digesting carbs. Please keep in mind that nearing the final stage before diagnosis, then your pancreas typically have some boosting periods of high insulin outputs, as the islets fight with the immune system and the total insulin output comes in periods days/weeks in high- and low tide waves. When the sugar conversion is no longer enough, then the fat conversion starts. So starting out just in short hourly periods at first, and then switching more and more on to a permanent state, as your insulin output goes towards zero. The honeymoon then starts when you start taking insulin injections, the bg gets down within ok range, and your still few remaining islets gets a holiday from the stress.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I lost two stone in about 6 weeks despite it being xmas and new year in that time. I was 20 at the time and went down to 71/2stone. My current weight is 9stone and my consultant is always saying to me I could do with another stone on me because I am so lean and muscly and size 8. So you can imagine how I was at 71/2stone!!

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 stone in 6 months, I was 42mmol when diagnosed.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Weird question, but I was wondering if anyone had some actual stats on how much weight a T1 diabetic loses on average before diagnosis?
Also interested to know at around what BG levels weight loss will occur.

When I was diagnosed (I was 10) I didn't lose any weight, though I know this is a big symptom! So I am just curious as I have never experienced this.

As others have already illustrated, I suspect there aren't any averages.

According to my grandfather (a WW2 war vet), I "looked like a victim out of Belsen" (I'd lost about half my bodyweight). I don't know what my BG was, but I was a hairs breadth of not coming back from a DKA coma.

Thank you everyone for your answers! I suspected there wouldn't really be an average as everyone is different, but it is amazing (not in a good way) to hear about the dreadful ravaging effects this condition can have upon a human body!
I had some pretty nasty symptoms like vomiting, heart palpitations, chronic lethargy but never the weight loss. I often think I am a bit weird for that!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your answers! I suspected there wouldn't really be an average as everyone is different, but it is amazing (not in a good way) to hear about the dreadful ravaging effects this condition can have upon a human body!
I had some pretty nasty symptoms like vomiting, heart palpitations, chronic lethargy but never the weight loss. I often think I am a bit weird for that!
I think it (the level of weight loss) has all to do with 'how early' you get diagnosed. If a human being's blood glucose goes above 15+ mmol/l and no insulin is present to glucose-fuel cells (which is the normal primary energy source just for that), then fat and protein is converted to deliver the energy. And when e.g. the protein is used for that, then muscle waste starts immediately as not enough protein is available for the daily required restoration of the muscle cells. Likewise with the fat to energy conversion, resulting in ketosis which also drives e.g. bone loss. All T1 diabetics left untreated (zero insulin) will loose weight.

Btw, some related and fascinating Diabetes history to read, though terrible sinister at the same time:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062586/