Blood Pressure How strict does it have to be?

themachman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started Ramipril for my blood pressure which has been high.I know my target is 130/80 but how strict does it have to be?ive took my readings after being on them over a week and they're usually either slightly higher,some lower and a few have been bang on.Im doing fine on the tablets,just dont fancy taking a stronger dose.Any help would be appreciated :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Strict is better. Uncontrolled high BP can damage major body organs.

Reactions: 4 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Slightly higher or lower is fine. It is physically impossible to keep your blood pressure completely steady. The trick is how soon does it return to your target.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A week is very short time to see any noticeable difference in your bp readings, give it another few weeks and measure again to see if your levels have dropped, I've been on Ramipril (5g) for several years now without any problems and have lowish bp levels, I was advised to go on this medication after developing diabetic retinopathy and told to keep my bp below 130/70.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my target has been 130/80 for many years and as i get older the doctor has been more strict with it - i started on lisinopril about 18 years ago , then about 2 years ago added indapamide to assist and just last week have now added Amlodopine --- all with the aim of keeping me at or below 130/80

it is fair to say it is a serious target for longer term health

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't forget it is normal for blood pressure to rise as you get older so take note of your age when determining what your target should be. I wouldn't worry too much if you go, say, 5% over your target sometimes as a lot dpeends on your state when testing.

C

catherinecherub

Just started Ramipril for my blood pressure which has been high.I know my target is 130/80 but how strict does it have to be?ive took my readings after being on them over a week and they're usually either slightly higher,some lower and a few have been bang on.Im doing fine on the tablets,just dont fancy taking a stronger dose.Any help would be appreciated :)
As others have said, blood pressure does not remain static throughout the day.

Try testing at the same time every day and it is best to sit quietly for 20 minutes before you take it.

themachman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your advice,its always slightly higher when i see the doctor anyhow,white coat syndrome i suppose,think im best bringing my monitor from home and showing the results from that :)