FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be careful using your inner leg.
Why? I've placed four with no problem (except the latest one which failed on insertion as it didn't make it through the Compeed, but pretty sure that wasn't related to it being on my inner leg).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Why? I've placed four with no problem (except the latest one which failed on insertion as it didn't make it through the Compeed).
My doctor always warned me not to inject insulin too far towards the inner leg since it could do damage according to him. The needle of the Libre is even bigger than 5mm so I would be careful

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think im abit addicted.
fXhScXf.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I think im abit addicted.
fXhScXf.jpg
LOL

I had the same in the beginning, but sometimes I took action too soon because of that. For example correcting an 8,4 with slightly upgoing arrow and when I took the extra insulin it turned out the 8,4 had already stabilised..:s

However any suggestions for Compeed alternatives would be very welcome since I want to place a new sensor without messing it up..Anyone?

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha! 59 scans, thought I was bad with 37.

My current sensor has gone a bit crazy, its now mmol/l lower than my bg meter:eek: Looks like I'll be returning it

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor always warned me not to inject insulin too far towards the inner leg since it could do damage according to him. The needle of the Libre is even bigger than 5mm so I would be careful
Interesting; I didn't know about that...Haven't noticed any problems so far but good to know.

LOL

I had the same in the beginning, but sometimes I took action too soon because of that. For example correcting an 8,4 with slightly upgoing arrow and when I took the extra insulin it turned out the 8,4 had already stabilised..:s

However any suggestions for Compeed alternatives would be very welcome since I want to place a new sensor without messing it up..Anyone?
I think @smidge recommended Duoderm. Might be worth having a search. After getting a failure I think I'll also try something thinner next time. I'm not actually sure how Compeed became the "go to" product and can't see why thinner alternatives wouldn't work as well (unless there is concern that, if it's thinner, the adhesive is more likely to still cause a reaction? But I'd have thought a barrier was a barrier)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My current sensor has gone a bit crazy, its now mmol/l lower than my bg meter:eek: Looks like I'll be returning it
HOw many mmol/l lower? Just the one won't cut it and in the normal range is less than 15% away from the blood reading so is not considered to be out of range.

I'm not actually sure how Compeed became the "go to" product and can't see why thinner alternatives wouldn't work as well (unless there is concern that, if it's thinner, the adhesive is more likely to still cause a reaction? But I'd have thought a barrier was a barrier)
People that have tried thinner barriers have reported that the adhesive still causes a reaction. That's where the compeed became the go to option. I think @smidge had issues with Duoderm not stopping the reaction.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HOw many mmol/l lower? Just the one won't cut it and in the normal range is less than 15% away from the blood reading so is not considered to be out of range.

Oops! missed out the 6 from my post. This sensor is really erratic, sometimes as much as 6 and never less than 2 out.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Interesting; I didn't know about that...Haven't noticed any problems so far but good to know.

I think @smidge recommended Duoderm. Might be worth having a search. After getting a failure I think I'll also try something thinner next time. I'm not actually sure how Compeed became the "go to" product and can't see why thinner alternatives wouldn't work as well (unless there is concern that, if it's thinner, the adhesive is more likely to still cause a reaction? But I'd have thought a barrier was a barrier)

If it's working for you to put it there without any trouble than I guess it's fine, maybe ask your doctor to be sure.

Let's keep each other updated on Compeed alternatives and how they deal with Libre sensors. A while ago I bought Hansaplast plasters that are very similar to Compeed, but seem slightly thinner and smaller. Haven't tried those yet since their quality seemed a bit less than Compeeds' but I might give it a go now. And will also be checking the drugstore for other alternatives;)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's working for you to put it there without any trouble than I guess it's fine, maybe ask your doctor to be sure.

Let's keep each other updated on Compeed alternatives and how they deal with Libre sensors. A while ago I bought Hansaplast plasters that are very similar to Compeed, but seem slightly thinner and smaller. Haven't tried those yet since their quality seemed a bit less than Compeeds' but I might give it a go now. And will also be checking the drugstore for other alternatives;)

Hi all! I have indeed being using DuoDerm for the last three sensors. They have not stopped the reaction completely, but have reduced it significantly. I also put another barrier method (Cavillon wipes or lotion - not cream or the plaster won't stick!) on before applying the duoderm.

The main benefit of the duoderm instead of the Compeed for me is that they can be cut. The Compeeds say not to cut them, but the duoderm doesn't leak the hydrocolloid gel when cut, so it can a) be cut into a circle slightly bigger than the sensor, thereby avoiding square edges which lift up and b) have a small hole cut in the centre for the probe to go through without getting all messed up. The duoderms are flexible and stretchy which makes them really comfortable, but might make firing a sensor through them quite hit & miss. I don't get a reaction on the bit where the probe goes, so cutting the hole works for me. Also, being cuttable means that I can buy the bigger sizes (10cm by 10cm) and cut them to the correct size which means I get two sensor barriers out of each plaster reducing the cost!

I find that they stay in place better with a circle of OpSite covering them - I don't think they are designed to last 14 days, but seem to stick better if they don't get wet, so OpSite covering the sensor and duoderm as soon as it has been applied seems to work best - although not exactly aesthetically pleasing!

As a slight aside, I have noticed that the tell-tale red circle of the skin reaction is far less visible when using the Cavillon/duoderm combination and certainly clears up within a few days of removing the sensor, but my skin still has a tendency to break down and removing the sensor/duoderm can cause layers of skin to pull away. To avoid that, I use Zoff alcohol-free adhesive remover wipes which sort of melt the adhesive away so I don't pull at the fragile skin.

It's all a bit of a faff really, but I still think it's worth it to continue using the system.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My last sensor was pretty accurate until day 10, but then became erratic, reading at least 2.5mmol out. Eventually on Friday night it bit the dust and stuck on LO when the inbuilt and Mobile BG testers were reading 3.9 and 4.2 respectively. I took it off 24 hours early. Rang Abbott today and gave them a whole stack of readings which convinced them the sensor hadn't been operating acceptably and they agreed to replace it. No trouble getting through to the help line but a 7 minute wait for an operator and then a further 25 minutes to get all the details on the system and the 'calculator' to agree the sensor should be replaced. Still, the right result in the end!

Smidge

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! I have indeed being using DuoDerm for the last three sensors. They have not stopped the reaction completely, but have reduced it significantly. I also put another barrier method (Cavillon wipes or lotion - not cream or the plaster won't stick!) on before applying the duoderm.

The main benefit of the duoderm instead of the Compeed for me is that they can be cut. The Compeeds say not to cut them, but the duoderm doesn't leak the hydrocolloid gel when cut, so it can a) be cut into a circle slightly bigger than the sensor, thereby avoiding square edges which lift up and b) have a small hole cut in the centre for the probe to go through without getting all messed up. The duoderms are flexible and stretchy which makes them really comfortable, but might make firing a sensor through them quite hit & miss. I don't get a reaction on the bit where the probe goes, so cutting the hole works for me. Also, being cuttable means that I can buy the bigger sizes (10cm by 10cm) and cut them to the correct size which means I get two sensor barriers out of each plaster reducing the cost!

I find that they stay in place better with a circle of OpSite covering them - I don't think they are designed to last 14 days, but seem to stick better if they don't get wet, so OpSite covering the sensor and duoderm as soon as it has been applied seems to work best - although not exactly aesthetically pleasing!

As a slight aside, I have noticed that the tell-tale red circle of the skin reaction is far less visible when using the Cavillon/duoderm combination and certainly clears up within a few days of removing the sensor, but my skin still has a tendency to break down and removing the sensor/duoderm can cause layers of skin to pull away. To avoid that, I use Zoff alcohol-free adhesive remover wipes which sort of melt the adhesive away so I don't pull at the fragile skin.

It's all a bit of a faff really, but I still think it's worth it to continue using the system.

Smidge
Thanks! I hope this isn't a silly question (or one you've already answered for me before...) but how do you cut the hole in the duoderm?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I read some discussion, months ago relating to the Professional Options, in reader the Settings menu. Has anyone managed to look inside Professional Options? If so, could you share the access code, which I am assuming is generic.

Many thanks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Got my 1 in the wrong place. See above.
Thanks, and to @Type1Bri. I've actually ordered a pack of strips, mainly to use, should the sensor appear to go walkabout, as a robust corroboration, as far as Abbott customer services would be involved. But, having looked in, the available settings are superfluous to me, as a D&E T2. It satisfied my curiosity though.:)

Isn't it funny how "secret", locked areas in settings become an immediate and "must go there NOW" challenge?

And now to try to make reports work. I can set them up, but I don't seem to have a view option. I'm surmising it may be because I have less than 24hrs of data, thus far.

Thanks again.