Forbidden treats..what are yours

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are an advocate of lchf diet then replying to this question is probably not for you, so I am only intrested in direct answers to my question.

I am intrested in knowing what forbidden treats people eat...crossiants, mufins,Danish pastry, ice cream, magnums, kitkats, cakes....please confess!

How many units do you inject for this. I know the units depends on the individual, but I am curious in knowing this. Do you ever bolus separately for this.

I feel that I am comitting a crime if I have a forbidden treat, and I suposse if I know I am not the only one indulging in this I might enjoy it rather than feeling guilty.

So hopefully some of you will share your forbidden treat without criticism .

Thanks!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have much the same diet I had before diagnosis. I never had a horrendous diet but ate whatever I liked within reason. Everything in moderation. If I have anything that you mention above I just use my normal carb ratio for that particular time of day and it generally works out ok.

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No food is forbidden, everything in moderation regarding diabetes.
Personally I have to avoid all foods with gluten content :(

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my long association with the D definitely means I am of the "don't eat sweet things" and these days i would always choose a starter and a main course when dining out -- never a pudding.- they just don't interest me.

on the odd occasion i do enjoy a cinnamon danish ( couple of times a year ) and yes i always bolus for it -- about 5 units would suit 1 of those i think

I like the mini magnum ice creams too -- they are about 1 a month and i don't bolus extra for those but they form part of my initial meal calculation so no need for any extra bolus

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey mikeg1964,
No need to incriminate yourself for having desires and sometimes want to live them out!
What is life without pleasures and we diabetics deserve them as much as everybody else.

I literary eat anything without much problem. As fellow posters mention above, just with some level of moderation (as should btw also all non-diabetics). I know my insulin/carb ratio is around 20 grams of carb takes 1 unit of insulin. If you then start to be comfortable about weight of foods, carb content and their glucemic index, then you are all set to time and execute the crime perfectly well. E.g. a normal size croissant is approx 60 grams, has 22g of carb and with a GI around 67. Antidote for me is therefor 1 unit of insulin approx. 20min before crime commitment. A croissant is btw nothing worse than most other ordinary bread. There are no simple sugars added. All the carbs are coming from just the flour, butter and milk. Its even better if its the real French version, as plenty of butter in it, slowing down the carb absorption speed. I am not a sugar eating person, never been neither before my diagnosis as a kid, so some sugary cakes I do not even care for. And you can find many that are very tasty without excess sugar (or make them yourself!) I like those foamy ones with fruits and/or nuts, put on a sponge bottom. And I love icecream! Mini Magnums with almonds is the current favourite. 26g of carb means 1 unit of insulin 30 mins before pleasure time. I would actually argue that if you keep the bg below 8-10 mmol/l, then nothing is off limits. Some carb policing militia might disagree, but I run the risk. You did after all ask them not to read any further in your intro to this thread.

So no need to stay in the mood that good tasty treats are a crime.
But if you do, please just recall: The perfect crime needs good planning! :)

Reactions: 8 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Percy pigs. I try and limit myself to 2 an hour/journey when I'm in the car and deal with it later normally. (I would rather be 9 when driving than 4...)

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey mikeg1964,
No need to incriminate yourself for having desires and sometimes want to live them out!
What is life without pleasures and we diabetics deserve them as much as everybody else.

I literary eat anything without much problem. As fellow posters mention above, just with some level of moderation (as should btw also all non-diabetics). I know my insulin/carb ratio is around 20 grams of carb takes 1 unit of insulin. If you then start to be comfortable about weight of foods, carb content and their glucemic index, then you are all set to time and execute the crime perfectly well. E.g. a normal size croissant is approx 60 grams, has 22g of carb and with a GI around 67. Antidote for me is therefor 1 unit of insulin approx. 20min before crime commitment. A croissant is btw nothing worse than most other ordinary bread. There are no simple sugars added. All the carbs are coming from just the flour, butter and milk. Its even better if its the real French version, as plenty of butter in it, slowing down the carb absorption speed. I am not a sugar eating person, never been neither before my diagnosis as a kid, so some sugary cakes I do not even care for. And you can find many that are very tasty without excess sugar (or make them yourself!) I like those foamy ones with fruits and/or nuts, put on a sponge bottom. And I love icecream! Mini Magnums with almonds is the current favourite. 26g of carb means 1 unit of insulin 30 mins before pleasure time. I would actually argue that if you keep the bg below 8-10 mmol/l, then nothing is off limits. Some carb policing militia might disagree, but I run the risk. You did after all ask them not to read any further in your intro to this thread.

So no need to stay in the mood that good tasty treats are a crime.
But if you do, please just recall: The perfect crime needs good planning! :)

I think if I ever go wrong it is not bolusing long enough before!

Reactions: 4 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mint Magnums are LOVELY. I have one occasionally but still can't get the bolus correct. The pack states 28g per lolly but if I bolus that, I go hypo. I tried using dual wave on the pump, as I thought the high fat content was the problem, but still went hypo.

Now I enter 28g into the pump but take only half the insulin. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (I can go high or low). Obviously I shouldn't eat them but . . .;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't particularly have a sweet tooth but do indulge occasionally, on Sunday (Fathers Day) I had a Snickers Ice Cream Bar which was really nice, I ate it after my evening meal so just included it with the carb content of my meal. As a rule a treat is something like a nice butchers shop meat pie or a packet of XL Cheese Crisps which I eat most weekends.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have any forbidden foods. I eat pretty much what I'd eat if I wasn't diabetic.

That doesn't mean I stuff my face all day every day, but I believe the odd treat is good for the soul :)

I have Danish pastries, croissants and pain au chocolat on occasion and just bolus for the carbs. I also eat puddings when I want to but usually have a small to moderate portion rather than a big hunk of pudding. I eat cakes and I eat chocolate too. All that makes me sound like a pig, but I'm slim and my HbA1C is excellent. I always keep a careful eye on my blood sugar and I think that's the key to it.

I eat sweets as hypo treatments sometimes, or when I'm on a walk. And I too love Mint Magnums! As for the carbs, yes, they can be problematic and I don't always find the info on the box works (I do 1:10 ratio normally) so I just experiment with my insulin dose each time I have one until I get it right. I don't use an extended bolus for those, but sometimes I'll bolus after I've eaten them.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mint Magnums are LOVELY. I have one occasionally but still can't get the bolus correct. The pack states 28g per lolly but if I bolus that, I go hypo. I tried using dual wave on the pump, as I thought the high fat content was the problem, but still went hypo.

Now I enter 28g into the pump but take only half the insulin. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (I can go high or low). Obviously I shouldn't eat them but . . .;)

I had a spectacular hypo after one of the Black Espresso ones a couple of months back, absolutely no idea why.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have a terribly sweet tooth, so I deliberately eat lower carb otherwise I would stuff my face with cake, biscuits, sweets, bread, ice cream and as you can with MDI, just bolus for them.

Nothing is really forbidden. It's just better for my control if I don't choose to eat these things regularly.

Reactions: 8 people

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that if I have anything with more than 15g of sugar in one portion, my blood sugars go really high even though I have my normal amount of insulin (1 shot of novorapid to 10g of carbs). Also whenever I have high fats my blood sugars rocket. Sadly my main bad things I love are pizzas, other takeaways, alcohol, coffee and full English breakfasts.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a terribly sweet tooth, so I deliberately eat lower carb otherwise I would stuff my face with cake, biscuits, sweets, bread, ice cream and as you can with MDI, just bolus for them.

Nothing is really forbidden. It's just better for my control if I don't choose to eat these things regularly.
I used to have a sweet tooth but things I used to adore (sorbet, Mars bars, Fry's cream, cream eggs etc etc) I now find sickly sweet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Same as Carbsrok, has to be gluten free, but everything in moderation is what I would say, and is often the best way.
But if I could , then the fruit tart I saw in Morrisons bakery would be the one for me, looked absolutely yummy and I do mean just an individual one lol :hungry:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used to have a sweet tooth but things I used to adore (sorbet, Mars bars, Fry's cream, cream eggs etc etc) I now find sickly sweet.
I personally am a huge fan of cake, with iced Belgian buns and macaroons being particular favourites. Sadly, these also have very high "bad" ratings so are an occasional treat.

I also enjoy baking cakes, which brings a whole new world of pain and pleasure.....

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have much the same diet I had before diagnosis. I never had a horrendous diet but ate whatever I liked within reason. Everything in moderation. If I have anything that you mention above I just use my normal carb ratio for that particular time of day and it generally works out ok.
Me too. I've kept my diet exactly the same. It was already generally well balanced and pretty healthy but I did (and still do) have the odd splurge for a take-away, pizza, cake, ice creams etc. As others have said, if you regularly exercise, keep slim and can maintain good control then no reason why what you eat should be different to a non-diabetic. I'm in the honeymoon phase now, so just hoping it will last!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
A glass of red wine.. no bolus required !

Reactions: 3 people