Forbidden treats..what are yours

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Percy pigs. I try and limit myself to 2 an hour/journey when I'm in the car and deal with it later normally. (I would rather be 9 when driving than 4...)
Yummy yummy! :)
article-1389203-0A4F17A9000005DC-341_233x307.jpg

I am doing the same, though not always the percy pigs type. :)
Checking the bg over long stretches of driving, I realise that the hard work behind the wheel and working all the pedals actually takes quite some sugar to keep it stable. E.g. found the German autobahn at high speed the most demanding, taking typically 3-4 pieces of these per hour:
wine-gums.jpg

Unfortunately now with the cgm such as Freestyle Libre or Dexcom, we no longer have the 'excuse' taking too many of these delights to stay on the safe side. But at least it has become easier also to read more frequently during driving/physical exercising and counter more timely/accurately with bolus if going up after the 'criminal' event.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's learning to dance in the rain. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yeh, I'll bite. :D
I tend to LC though I tend not to talk food.. To contentious.. o_O:( I'm an old school D me..
I see modern insulin "profiles" coupled with the timing a lottery with carbs for me & my random life style.. (Plans change by the minute.) Too many peaks & troughs doing the "bolus for it thing". :banghead:

Having said that... I'll give this a go. Chips with satay sauce. A couple of times a year when I gig in Holland & I get the chance.

When I was a kid I heard an iterview with an American T1 actress.. (I forget her name now.) but she only treats when low. Back in the day there was no MDI, so she "treated" with a treat... ;)

I'm pretty easy going with hypoglycaemia.. I have never passed out in 39 years. So, if I have the time? (& in a position to get served quick?) I like to enjoy a slow rise to normality with a small French patisserie or slim wedge of carrot cake..
If at home? I have a coffee machine that pretty much pours itself. So I grab a cup, hit the button & ease up with a chocolate digestive. :)
Though if I'm on a busy? Any old cr%p will do..!

Come to think of it..?! I never touched my wedding cake. By all accounts though it was "nice"..

Still a picture lasts longer... Lol

image.jpg

Yes, it was modelled on my van...

image.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:D Love it! I'd have been tempted to get a red stripe down it...........I loved The A Team
Thanks.
Lol, yep the thought had occurred.. It's a 20 year old Jap import. Saw it & fell in love.... Like a "crazy fool." I've owned it for ten years? When it came into the country.
Been everywhere as far as Poland to North Italy in it. Even used it to pick up my "bride" & her parents for the registry office... :p

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love this post! Reassuring for a new diabetic and helps the guilt when having a treat. So far only had a few real treats. The biggest one was a movie with hubby and the kids on the weekend complete with popcorn and a bit of twin bites. Bolused for it at my regular ratio. Was fine at 2 hrs and high at 4 so did a correction. Still working on timing.

Reactions: 4 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
I used to have a sweet tooth but things I used to adore (sorbet, Mars bars, Fry's cream, cream eggs etc etc) I now find sickly sweet.
Oh for a creme egg

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Di
Oh for a creme egg

Don't worry - the new Creme egg recipe is disgusting. I used to look forward to them each year, but had one this year and it was so horrible that I threw it away half-eaten. You aren't missing anything. Theyre completely ruined now : (

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a self confessed chocoholic! I was diagnosed in January and had a bit of a rough time trying to find a happy medium but I think I'm there now! For the most part i low carb, usually 6 days a week. One day, usually a Wednesday cause it's my day off I eat what I want, usually several bars of chocolate and cakes! I bolus for it and usually my levels stay in line. I tried cutting absolutely everything out and it drive me mad and got me down. Now I know I have a day where in can eat all the things I love and it gets me through. If in out etc on non treat days and I fancy something in don't stop myself. It's all trial and error to see what your body can cope with. I seem to be able to cope with chocolate better than pasta so in happy I'm ideal weight for my height, go to the gym and work out regular so I'm not unhealthy, I just have a sweet tooth.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
This is a terrible thread! I am now craving treats! Mine is a double berry muffin from Pret a Manger. That, and Galaxy chocolate.
And cake. Fruit pie too. And fruit generally. And pasta. Lots of pasta. And cake (again).

I bolus appropriately for all these things... though, sometimes I overdo it... and then go hypo. And then need a treat. I think it's my subconscious that makes me over-bolus. :p

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a terrible thread! I am now craving treats! Mine is a double berry muffin from Pret a Manger. That, and Galaxy chocolate.
And cake. Fruit pie too. And fruit generally. And pasta. Lots of pasta. And cake (again).

I bolus appropriately for all these things... though, sometimes I overdo it... and then go hypo. And then need a treat. I think it's my subconscious that makes me over-bolus. :p
Perhaps you need to experiment with that. ;)

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a nice brioche with a smothering of jam! Reading these responses make me feel more confident and comfortable.

Double berry muffin is about 60g carbohydrate, might just treat myself to one someday !

Is there anyone who has had a mcdonald s mcflurry or big Msc and fries?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had one of my 'treats' for dinner this evening, Pizza with chicken and peppers on, enjoyed it at the time..

Then 2 ours afterwards my blood sugars had ballooned from 7.6 pre-meal to 18.5 :( Had 9 shots of insulin to account for the roughly 90g of carbs in the pizza, didn't expect to see my blood sugars any higher than 9 or 10. Looks like I'm going to have to cut pizza out now as well, didn't think it would be as bad as a take away one from Dominos or Pizza Hut but those kind of readings post meal are depressing.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the pizza express margherita 80g carbs tends to work for me. Pizza express are not very generous with cheese, so I think it may have a lower fat content that works in my favour.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had one of my 'treats' for dinner this evening, Pizza with chicken and peppers on, enjoyed it at the time..

Then 2 ours afterwards my blood sugars had ballooned from 7.6 pre-meal to 18.5 :( Had 9 shots of insulin to account for the roughly 90g of carbs in the pizza, didn't expect to see my blood sugars any higher than 9 or 10. Looks like I'm going to have to cut pizza out now as well, didn't think it would be as bad as a take away one from Dominos or Pizza Hut but those kind of readings post meal are depressing.
Weird thing with pizza as its also one of the very few things I am challenged with repeatedly. Don't really get either why it needs so much bolus insulin compared to many other even more sugary things I eat. As far as I know of all the ingredient components, it must all come down to the bottom dough. So lately been insisting on only getting the crispy thin bottom type of pizzas, and then also always ordering additional toppings added on top to get proportionally more veggies and meat versus the white flour starch. That definitely makes it easier to control.

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. Thinking it may be the very high starch content from the dough and the saturated fat from the cheese which needs to be balanced out with more meat/veg/mushrooms etc. Plus ideally less cheese and a thinner base, although it will be difficult to get a pizza with less carbs than about 80-90!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a nice brioche with a smothering of jam! Reading these responses make me feel more confident and comfortable.

Double berry muffin is about 60g carbohydrate, might just treat myself to one someday !

Is there anyone who has had a mcdonald s mcflurry or big Msc and fries?
No problem with the BigMac, but do normally not take fries except if I am in the low end of the bg scale.
Carb content of the BigMac is around 35g. Note that McDonalds some years back changed their recipe for the burger buns. So think today there is only around a 5% carb content in them, while previously its was with traditional white flour (starch) around 50% carb content. Reason why they are actually not bad at all today if you just stay with their classic burgers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love a croissant wth ham and cheese but these are usually reserved for when I go skiing. No additional bolus needed, just a couple of black runs...

Other than that, it's proper chip shop chips and curry sauce. I have a proper salty tooth rather than a sweet one when I need some naughty food.

Haribo goldbears for hypos. You can get them in little boxes the size of raisin lunchbox packs, really good to help over treating and swinging the other way.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love a croissant wth ham and cheese but these are usually reserved for when I go skiing. No additional bolus needed, just a couple of black runs...

Other than that, it's proper chip shop chips and curry sauce. I have a proper salty tooth rather than a sweet one when I need some naughty food.

Haribo goldbears for hypos. You can get them in little boxes the size of raisin lunchbox packs, really good to help over treating and swinging the other way.

Don't you have to chew the bears forever? I gave up on using fruit pastilles for hypos because they weren't very easy to chew quickly. I now use jelly babies instead - I love the green ones . . . and the red . . . and the orange and . . .!

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a nutritional supplement shake every day, it contains 60g of carbs, but the benefits outweight the risks since it has 500 calories, 100% in most vitamins and minerals, and around 25g of protein. Less a treat more of a necessity. I don't eat anything that isn't of nutiritional value like jelly sweets, chocolate biscuits or cakes unless they have calories that can benefit me otherwise its just punishing my body over how much sugar they contain as well as the fact non-diabetics should steer clear of them aswell.

But when i have hypo's I usually resort to glucose tablets.

I can tolerate the following carbohydrate-rich things in my diet:

- Milkshakes
- Digestives, Cake/Biscuit (once a month on average)
- Pastries (Croissant, Pain au Chocolat, brioches, gypsy tarts - high in sugar but good for calories and energy)
- Fruit juice (Sometimes the 50% sugar ones)
- Yoghurts/desserts (Sponge + custard, muller corners, have sugar but also calcium, though a bit redundant as I have milkshakes but calories nonetheless), rice pudding, jelly (sometimes low cal option)
- Quiches, Meat pasties, sausage rolls
- Rices, Pizza, Pasta, Sauce-rich dinners

I can't tolerate, or I won't eat:

- Nuts, Eggs (my most common hates)
- Fish, Most meats
- Potatoes (with the exception of chips and crisps)

My list of things I eat in a typical day is a bit short, probably is why im underweight I don't know.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nmr1991, looks like you do not have many restrictions.

What is your insulin to carb ratio, how many units do you take for the 60g nutrional shake ? Thanks