Animas vibe

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I've been on the Animas vibe since Tuesday. Please can anyone tell me if I need to change my set, what can I do to prime a new tubing/canola or do I have to rewind cartridge & start again. Last night numbers were 18, had a light tea, then swept up years for a good 40 mins, came in & was 18, changed cannula & ending up rewinding cartridge, primed cannula & put set on leg (this was 7.30pm) anyway 9pm I was 16.4, 11pm- 15.4, bolused 3 units, woke up this am to 20! changed set AGAIN
Also when we set pump up got a maximum of insulin & it's warning is coming up saying exceeds maximum insulin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
When you change a cannula you do not need to rewind the pump as no new cartridge has been put in. Just remember to fill your cannula. Double check you have no air bubbles in your tubing and your good to go.
What is your absorption like in your leg? If it were me I would just use tum until you know what you are doing as better absorption there.
As you have only been on a pump for a couple of days it could well be your basal is well out as well.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks CarbsRok, using leg, this am went upto 20, took dogs out about 30 mins later did a bm-26 , changed site.to other leg at 8am, just done a bm now 25!Aaaaargh sorry just really frustrating as had nothing to eat & it's frustrating! Should I change the set now or leave it another hour or so?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with CarbsRok that it could very well be your basal. Unless you're doing something very wrong with your sites, which I doubt, then those continual highs sound like you're just not having enough insulin.

If you're at all unsure, speak to your DSN and see if your basals need adjusting. If they do, bear in mind that jigging them about to get your sugars good may take some days.

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have checked that my basal rates are correct, they are,been right through it. My numbers have been really high, feel rough & concerned. This am woke 22, gave 5 units, 45 mins later 24,I've left pump running but injected 5 units. What is best to do? Sorry just want this to be right

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Change your set and switch to your stomach as CarbsRok suggested @Jessd, you need to get your bg levels down so use your pens until you get things sorted and remember to check for ketones, is your pump nurse contactable on a weekend? if not ring the Animas helpline and ask for their help.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's the strange thing, I changed my set to stomach yesterday, didn't seen to help?! Just a bit concerned as feeling unwell & git visitors in (Bed & Breakfast) got breakfast in a min, feel quite sick & just want to go get a lie down I will try my DSN, if can't get hold of her will ring Animas. Thank you for your help, just feel stupid that it's got like this!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Jessd, the sickness feeling may well be due to high ketone levels, you need to check for them and get your bg levels down asap, if worried seek medical advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have checked that my basal rates are correct, they are,been right through it. My numbers have been really high, feel rough & concerned. This am woke 22, gave 5 units, 45 mins later 24,I've left pump running but injected 5 units. What is best to do? Sorry just want this to be right

@Jessd This is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by "correct"? Do you mean you went through them making sure they matched with the ones you were told to have, or do you mean theyve always been fine and kept your sugars on the level previously?

By "correct" I meant that your basal rates were high enough to keep your sugars down. For example, if I kept having highs in the afternoon even if I didn't eat, I'd suspect some of my afternoon basals would need putting up. Bear in mind that when you start on the pump the basals you're given are only a guess. Also, over time they change. Or if you're ill, for example.

Use correction doses now to get your sugar down. You may need extra as you become resistant to insulin when your levels are high. If this continues, you really shoukd speak to someone especially if you're feeling ill.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I went to change the pump on Tuesday, the rep went through my basal rates on old pump & we put that onto the Vibe. On old pump numbers were ok, did change basal rate 2 wk ago in afternoon rate as was going slightly high (14/15) that has worked

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got breakfast now. Will get that done & see what numbers are doing & keeping up drinking

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I went to change the pump on Tuesday, the rep went through my basal rates on old pump & we put that onto the Vibe. On old pump numbers were ok, did change basal rate 2 wk ago in afternoon rate as was going slightly high (14/15) that has worked

Hmm, that's weird then, unless your pump change randomly coincided with a need for more insulin.

If it was me, I'd get my sugars down, with a pen if necessary (and it may take some hours). I'd also speak to someone about the ketones pretty soon. Then I'd systematically go through every bit of my pump checking each component even if I think it's ok. I'd also change to a fresh cartridge/vial of insulin (depending on what you use). I'd also use a site area that I knew had worked recently.

I hope you feel better soon and get on top of your sugars. It's horrible when that happens.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're in the UK and can't get hold of your DSN, try your GP. Or, if you're really feeling rough and your ketones are high, I'd go to A and E. There is the 111 service but if they're busy you have to wait for a callback. I used them last time I had highs and ketones.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Azure thank you.
I changed my insulin & set yesterday, so was surprised at how my sugars were. I've just done a bm 20.6, shall I give it another 45 mins ish? Or should I inject a couple of units

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are you sure you are using the cannulas correctly?
Do you still have your old pump, if so connect that one.
Looking at your home screen does it sow the amount of basal being delivered?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't give specific advice to you because we're all different and you know your sugars and you body.

For correction doses, I personally find that the higher the sugar the longer they take to,work. So if I had done a correction dose, I'd wait two hours and if my sugars went down, even a bit, I'd keep testing and hope they'd be falling more. I think of it as like pushing a broken down car - once you get it rolling it becomes easier. Sometimes I would then need to have an extra small correction dose if my sugars got stuck at a high amount. I am cautious in dosing and would rather go gradually.

When my sugars are high (say 13 and above) I always use my pen for corrections. That way I trust it. I continue to correct with my pen until I'm back in control. I also sometimes use a temp basal rate on my pump (hoping its working ok) with an increase of 100%.

When I change a set, I still correct with the pen and then monitor very closely.

A sugar of 20 would worry me. My highs are usually below that. Better safe than sorry. Even if you correct, I'd call someone. Bearing in mind it's the weekend, it'll probably be easier to speak to someone now than tomorrow.

Edited to add that if I'd eaten I'd wait 90 mins or two hours before correcting to see how my sugars were.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My other thought is that maybe you've got a batch of dodgy cannulas. Have you got a new box you can open? That's worth a try too.